• 1 Post By mdavej
  • 1 Post By Edmund

post #1 of 4 Old 04-24-2020, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 23
remote control suggestions

Hi, so I'm looking for a new remote control for my brother and his wife. His setup is that he has a DirecTV receiver in his closet in the back of the room, then the TV and soundbar mounted across it. So right now he had a Logitech Harmony Ultimate Hub remote with the Hub in the closet to control the DirecTV receiver, then the remote controls the TV and soundbar through IR.

Besides turning on the activities (sometimes then too) and controlling the sound through the soundbar, they hated that remote. They hated the touch screen display for the number "buttons", I don't blame them there.

So obviously the next step up is the Logitech Harmony Elite control, since (I believe) that has IR too as well as the hub. I could prob just buy the remote version and upgrade the hub. But they're not that keen on the no physical buttons on that one too. So I'm wondering if there's anything else out there that I'm missing I should be looking at that has a similar setup (a way to control the DirecTV receiver then the TV and soundbar too). Sorry for the long story, just wanted to share their experience with the Elite remote.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-24-2020, 06:21 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 3290 Post(s)
Liked: 1506
Soundbar make and model?

The DirecTV remote should easily be able to control the DirecTV box via RF and the TV/Soundbar via IR.

Otherwise, he could get a Harmony 665 with a full set of buttons and an IR repeater system like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Sewell-Direct.../dp/B074CNWJZV
yanksno1 likes this.
post #3 of 4 Old 04-28-2020, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Ended up programming their DirecTV remote with the soundbar, really liked how that was setup now. Hadn't done that in a while since I've been using Harmony remotes lately. Only thing that sorta sucks is it won't turn off the soundbar, but at least they can control the volume with it now. Think that'll just be their setup for now, and they'll just use 2 remotes.

Harmony needs to make a Smart remote version with IR built in. Didn't know the wireless IR repeater's existed. Besides that setup, are there any other remotes that would work in this scenario?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 04-28-2020, 09:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Yes, the smaller directv remotes do not have power for any audio device, just volume and mute.
yanksno1 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Remote Control Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page