AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Remote Control Area (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/93-remote-control-area/)
-   -   Did I make a mistake choosing Crestron for home theater control? (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/93-remote-control-area/3145464-did-i-make-mistake-choosing-crestron-home-theater-control.html)

Moloney 05-15-2020 01:20 PM

Did I make a mistake choosing Crestron for home theater control?

I've been working tirelessly on my new dedicated home theater build and whenever I'm not building, I'm researching. After extensive research, I arrived at the conclusion that Crestron seemed to be the most advanced and expandable company and system I could buy. So I jumped on eBay and found a bought a new TSR-310 Remote (Crestron's latest and greatest) and also bought a Crestron Pyng Hub and a Ubiquiti Unifi 802.11ac Dual-Radio PRO Access Point (UAP-AC-PRO-US). So I'm all set to get me started right? Nope. The hub app on my ipad continually shows the hub as being disconnected (although hub's mac address is recognized and shows up on the app) and apparently I'm not authorized to access and download firmware updates or any other software, nor can I access the Crestron toolbox for programming, etc. Though I'm pretty tech saavy, I'm handcuffed and not able to even begin to attempt programming because again, I'm not authorized.

So I now see my options as either a.) reselling all this stuff and just buying a consumer grade Harmony remote "UGH", b.) paying a Crestron tech hundreds or even thousands to program the remote or c.) finding a way to gain access to the needed tools and software. Anyone else as foolish as me for not investigating A/V equipment further before purchasing? And I was really looking forward to learning to automate my home theater and maybe the rest of my home. Any thoughts or suggestions?

mpg7321 05-15-2020 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moloney (Post 59651436)
I've been working tirelessly on my new dedicated home theater build and whenever I'm not building, I'm researching. After extensive research, I arrived at the conclusion that Crestron seemed to be the most advanced and expandable company and system I could buy. So I jumped on eBay and found a bought a new TSR-310 Remote (Crestron's latest and greatest) and also bought a Crestron Pyng Hub and a Ubiquiti Unifi 802.11ac Dual-Radio PRO Access Point (UAP-AC-PRO-US). So I'm all set to get me started right? Nope. The hub app on my ipad continually shows the hub as being disconnected (although hub's mac address is recognized and shows up on the app) and apparently I'm not authorized to access and download firmware updates or any other software, nor can I access the Crestron toolbox for programming, etc. Though I'm pretty tech saavy, I'm handcuffed and not able to even begin to attempt programming because again, I'm not authorized.

So I now see my options as either a.) reselling all this stuff and just buying a consumer grade Harmony remote "UGH", b.) paying a Crestron tech hundreds or even thousands to program the remote or c.) finding a way to gain access to the needed tools and software. Anyone else as foolish as me for not investigating A/V equipment further before purchasing? And I was really looking forward to learning to automate my home theater and maybe the rest of my home. Any thoughts or suggestions?

I don't use Crestron but google "Crestron SIMPL Windows" looks like DYI programing for Crestron. If not then yes you would have to contact a dealer and get a price on programing.

mpg7321 05-15-2020 02:21 PM