Remotes that support macros on function buttons - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 12-26-2004, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Does anyone have any recommendations for remotes less than $75 or so that support macros on function buttons? By function buttons, I mean TV, DVD, AMP, etc.
I think the Sony RM-VL900 fits this bill, but it doesn't really have enough buttons for PVR functions.
I really like the One For All PVR remote, but it doesn't support macros on function buttons.

Shawn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-26-2004, 07:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 16
For a little more, the MX-500 will do the job.

Enjoy!

Mike
Surf Remote Control
post #3 of 9 Old 12-26-2004, 08:56 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally posted by GnatGoSplat
I really like the One For All PVR remote, but it doesn't support macros on function buttons.
Acutually they do, but you need the modified URC-6131m with a JP1 cable and an extender.

Start by getting all the basics working, and then install the extender.

Rob Crowe has some for sale
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 12-27-2004, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter

MX-500 is a bit larger than I would like.

I've heard good things about JP1, I'll try the URC-6131 and go from there.
I couldn't find a URC-6131m though, is there a difference between that and 6131?

Shawn
post #5 of 9 Old 12-27-2004, 05:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 16
On the link provided by jarmstrong, the 6131 listed (modified) is the one you want.

Enjoy!

Mike
Surf Remote Control
post #6 of 9 Old 12-29-2004, 03:45 PM

Liked: 11
Dont' cheap out on the remote, it's the most important component. Get the MX-700 from Home Theatre Master. Every button can be macro so it makes the entire home theatre experience cohesive. For example, I can switch between DVD and Tivo in one intuitive button and everything sets up correctly. I know about $200 is expensive but it's been worth every penny.
post #7 of 9 Old 12-29-2004, 08:49 PM

i agree on the mx-700 ... at first i was looking at some jp1 capable remotes ... then i thought about how nice it'd be to be able to label buttons.

once the money was spent, and I got over the fact that I just spent $200 on a remote ... I realized there's no going back and don't see how I would have been satisfied with anything less.
post #8 of 9 Old 01-09-2005, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter

I took jarmstrong's advice and picked up a URC-6131 for VERY cheap. Then I bought an Ultra JP1 cable kit and 2k EEPROM. Total investment, about $24 SHIPPED! I installed the EEPROM myself and assembled the kit, very simple since I'm handy with a soldering iron.

The learning curve was pretty high at first... it took me an entire evening to figure out how IR, KM, and the extender works. I had to read and reread every text file that came with those programs. Eventually it all started to make sense. It took another few hours the next night to figure out how LKP's work.

Now, using my A/V system is SUPER simple, it couldn't be simpler! Even my wife agrees that it is SIMPLE!!! I have 3 video devices, a DishPVR, Samsung HDTV tuner, and a Gateway Connected DVD player. Pressing any device button (PVR, CBL/SAT, or DVD) turns on the TV (if off), turns on the receiver (if off), and switches both to the appropriate inputs, then turns on the PVR, HD tuner, or DVD player (depending on which device button was pressed). IF any single device missed an IR code (i.e. something didn't turn on or didn't switch), fixing it is a simple matter of just pressing the device button again. Since I used discrete power-on codes, there's no power toggling to worry about. The only one that I couldn't find discrete power codes for is the DVD player, so it has to be manually turned on and off using the remote's power button. Turning everything off is a simple matter of pressing and holding the power button down for 3-seconds.

It's so simple, and the PVR remote has enough buttons that every function I ever use can be programmed... lesser used functions can be programmed using shift-key combos. The only gripes I have about the remote itself, is I would have liked the keys to light up or glow in the dark.

I am just COMPLETELY blown away by how simple JP1 has made using my system, and the remote was cheap and is small and easy to handle. I really could not think of a more perfect solution. I think I will probably get rid of the Sony RM-AV3000 in my basement HT setup in favor of another cheap JP1 remote!

Shawn
post #9 of 9 Old 01-11-2005, 08:40 AM

Yes, I agree. JP1 is the best thing since sliced bread. I set mine up very similar to yours, and it is so simple that anyone who picks up the remote has no trouble operating my home theater with no instructions or training.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread Remote Control Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page