Harmony 880 Official Thread. For all info and FAQs - Page 104 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #3091 of 6299 Old 10-10-2007, 07:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcessiv View Post

I bought two 880s around 11 months ago for me and my mom.

After 8 months of use, my "volume up" button stopped working 50% of the time. All other buttons were working 100% of the time so this was obviously not a signal config problem.

My mom gave me a call this week (after 11 months of use), saying that one of her activity buttons was working less than 25% of the time. I'll have to return it.

Wow! This really worries me. If this happens again after the warranty period I'm screwed.

I had this same problem with my volume up button. I had to press the button harder than the other buttons to get the volume to go up. I called a Logitech CSR and he said I was out of warranty and would have to call back since the Level 2 CSRs aren't open yet. Instead of waiting to be most likely denied because of warranty I decided to see if I could fix the problem myself.

I took out the battery and removed the two screws on the top and bottom of the remote. Additional to the screws the remote has about 6 places where it snaps into place. I had to use a screw driver to wedge inbetween where the remote is put together to unsnap the top and bottom parts. I then put a dab of hot glue on the volume up button and put the remote back together. Now the button works as it should.

I hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3092 of 6299 Old 10-11-2007, 09:49 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jschen View Post

I had this same problem with my volume up button. I had to press the button harder than the other buttons to get the volume to go up. I called a Logitech CSR and he said I was out of warranty and would have to call back since the Level 2 CSRs aren't open yet. Instead of waiting to be most likely denied because of warranty I decided to see if I could fix the problem myself.

I took out the battery and removed the two screws on the top and bottom of the remote. Additional to the screws the remote has about 6 places where it snaps into place. I had to use a screw driver to wedge inbetween where the remote is put together to unsnap the top and bottom parts. I then put a dab of hot glue on the volume up button and put the remote back together. Now the button works as it should.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for posting the "fix" for the vol up button. You saved me some money as I was about to throw the 880 in the garbage can and go get another one.
Now all is well.

ED
post #3093 of 6299 Old 10-12-2007, 07:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked: 428
I am sorry if this has been asked before I've looked couldn't find any thing , but does the 880 control a Velodyne SMS 1 EQ ? Would like to put that remote away as well , instead of double fistting remotes.

Djoel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3094 of 6299 Old 10-12-2007, 07:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just bought my first HD TV and I was looking to get a universal remote....I have read good and bad reviews about this remote...I am hoping to get some pros/cons of this remote form owners....do you suggest this one? Another Harmony unit?? I will have an upcovert DVD, receiver, Xbox 360 as well as the TV...if this helps at all thanks

-Rob
post #3095 of 6299 Old 10-12-2007, 11:01 PM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 18
So anyone use the nyko bluwave to program the 880 to work with PS3? Just curious how well it works.
post #3096 of 6299 Old 10-13-2007, 09:38 AM

I'm having a problem with the volume control using Directv HR20-100 & Toshiba TV.
On start of activity "watch pvr" volume control works fine but once I push "LIST" button to see recorded programs the volume control stops working until I turn off TV & DVR. It just started doing this in the last 3 or 4 days. It used to work fine.
post #3097 of 6299 Old 10-13-2007, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotx66 View Post

I'm having a problem with the volume control using Directv HR20-100 & Toshiba TV.
On start of activity "watch pvr" volume control works fine but once I push "LIST" button to see recorded programs the volume control stops working until I turn off TV & DVR. It just started doing this in the last 3 or 4 days. It used to work fine.

This sounds like a problem with the DVR instead of the 880. Have you tried a hard reboot of the DVR(pulling power cord)? This might help especially if Direct has downloaded new SW within the 3-4 day time frame.

ED
post #3098 of 6299 Old 10-13-2007, 10:30 AM

Is there a way to make Sequence commands available to all Activities? I am currently typing in the same sequence commands into several activities i.e four identical Super FF sequences for my four PVR activities.

Is there a way to just have a master sequence database that is available to all activities?
post #3099 of 6299 Old 10-13-2007, 01:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I am sorry for my ignorance but can I teach my 880 the SMS 1 control ?

Thanks

Djoel
post #3100 of 6299 Old 10-13-2007, 01:48 PM

The SMS 1 is already in Harmony's database.
Add device - Receiver - Velodyne - SMS 1 (type in the SMS 1, the buttons it adds are correct)
Done.

And yes, I know the SMS 1 is not a receiver.

I have no system or life, Please give me yours ;)
post #3101 of 6299 Old 10-13-2007, 02:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian32672 View Post

The SMS 1 is already in Harmony's database.
Add device - Receiver - Velodyne - SMS 1 (type in the SMS 1, the buttons it adds are correct)
Done.

And yes, I know the SMS 1 is not a receiver.

Kool & da gang.....I running to their database right now....Thanks

Djoel
post #3102 of 6299 Old 10-15-2007, 09:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by destefpr View Post

Is there a way to make Sequence commands available to all Activities? I am currently typing in the same sequence commands into several activities i.e four identical Super FF sequences for my four PVR activities.

Is there a way to just have a master sequence database that is available to all activities?

Not currently. You have to program each Sequence for each Activity.
post #3103 of 6299 Old 10-15-2007, 10:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino5167 View Post

I just bought my first HD TV and I was looking to get a universal remote....I have read good and bad reviews about this remote...I am hoping to get some pros/cons of this remote form owners....do you suggest this one? Another Harmony unit?? I will have an upcovert DVD, receiver, Xbox 360 as well as the TV...if this helps at all thanks

-Rob

This remote is fantastic! We have one, three of our relatives have one. We all love them and recommend them highly. In my case I use it with an HDTV, DVD player/sound system, VCR, cable DVR. One button turns everything on or off, and the remote always controls everything properly.

We have friends who were going to stop using their Tivo because of the number of remotes they had to use with their HDTV, Tivo, satellite box, audio system, DVD player. They got a Harmony and now all is well and they're very happy.

Harmony phone support is outstanding too. You can get a lot of helpful advice here, but frankly I am surprised at the number of people who ask for help either instead of calling Logitech and and resolving their problem/question interactively in real time with a real person's voice at the other end of the line.

Go for it!
Bernie
post #3104 of 6299 Old 10-15-2007, 11:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4theheelz View Post

a couple of newbie questions as i just ordered my 880 today:
1. my previous remote permitted me to program a number of keystokes to establish a macro activated by one button press. as i understand it, the 880 lets you do the same thing as an "Activity". is there a limit to the number of keystroke instructions to an activity.

You may not have quite the right understanding of a Harmony Activity. Best to think of an Activity as a custom remote that already knows about all of your equipment and which devices are needed to watch cable/satellite, or to watch a DVD, or to watch TV without cable/satellite, or to listen to music, or to use a video game device, or to use a VCR.

The software and website will guide you through identifying your equipment and specifying which devices are used for which activities. In most cases the only thing you will need to do after the setup is to enjoy the remote. In some cases you may need to do some additional tinkering with the settings to get things working exactly the right way for some Activity. The online setup will let you do that too. And if you still need assistance the Harmony telephone support is outstanding!
Quote:

Is there a limit to the the number of custom activities that one can program?

I think you are limited to two pages of Activities, with 8 Activities per page. But I have a hard time thinking of even eight Activities. In my case I have:
  • "Watch DVR" which means anything live or recorded using the cable box.
  • "Watch DVD"
  • "Watch TV" ignoring the cable company box (using my cablecard)
  • "Listen to radio"
  • "Listen to CD"
  • "Wii"
  • "Play VCR"
  • "System Options" which the software includes automatically and lets you reset the time in the remote. That time is only used to display the time to you on the LCD screen in the remote, not for anything else.
Some of those Activity names are the ones suggested automatically by the Harmony setup software, some are names I picked because they make the most sense in our environment. The Harmony software knew that my surround sound system includes a radio and the ability to play CD's and DVD's and so it set up those activities automatically although we never use our system for radio or CD's.
Quote:

2. can you program a key or keys to "open/close" the DVD and "eject" on the VCR?

Yes.

The Harmony has a Device key that lets you perform any of the less common functions of your original remote for each of your devices. In my case, I also placed the Eject function on the main LCD softkey screen for the "Watch DVD" Activity, and I labeled that function "Open" rather than Eject.
Quote:

3. if you "learn" a command from another remote, is that learned command global or specific to a given device? thanks.

It will apply to the device that the original remote was controlling.

Bernie
post #3105 of 6299 Old 10-15-2007, 11:31 AM
Advanced Member

Hi,

What device should I choose if I want to control my Windows Media Center PC with the 880? (I already have an IR receiver on the PC).

Has anyone done this? I'm not getting any help on the logitech forums about this.
post #3106 of 6299 Old 10-15-2007, 12:42 PM

Can the 880 scroll through a playlist on media player on it's little lcd screen? ie. if i had an extender (or went with the 890 with rf) could i see the song list on the remote if i'm in another room?
post #3107 of 6299 Old 10-15-2007, 12:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimholtz View Post

Hi,

What device should I choose if I want to control my Windows Media Center PC with the 880? (I already have an IR receiver on the PC).

Has anyone done this? I'm not getting any help on the logitech forums about this.

I think Media Center PC is in there, if not XBox 360 will give all the needed commands.

Joe in West Los Angeles, CA
post #3108 of 6299 Old 10-15-2007, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citico View Post

Thanks for posting the "fix" for the vol up button. You saved me some money as I was about to throw the 880 in the garbage can and go get another one.
Now all is well.

Did this work out for you too? I don't have a glue gun so I put a couple of pieces of tape on the button to raise it a bit, but its not making much of a difference.
post #3109 of 6299 Old 10-15-2007, 02:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe221 View Post

I think Media Center PC is in there, if not XBox 360 will give all the needed commands.

Thanks. The PC doesn't respond to the Harmony when I specify those devices, but it does respond to the original remote. What should I do? Teach it the original remote control or is there an alternative?

Thank you,
grimholtz
post #3110 of 6299 Old 10-15-2007, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmltok View Post

Did this work out for you too? I don't have a glue gun so I put a couple of pieces of tape on the button to raise it a bit, but its not making much of a difference.

Yes, it worked for me but I don't have a glue gun either. You know the black template(plastic) strip inside the cover. It was positioned in such a manner that it was keeping the vol up button from pushing in without pushing real hard. I cut the template around the vol up out with a razor blade. Also take your finger and push the button on the other half of the remote and be sure it is clicking.The button the vol up pushes. The mute button is close by. Don't get them confused. You can check the vol up button by inserting the battery and just using the bottom half of the remote to check the vol up button to be sure it will function when the vol up button on the top half is pushed.Use your finger and see if it works on the TV or AVR.

ED
post #3111 of 6299 Old 10-15-2007, 07:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimholtz View Post

Thanks. The PC doesn't respond to the Harmony when I specify those devices, but it does respond to the original remote. What should I do? Teach it the original remote control or is there an alternative?

Thank you,
grimholtz

Yup, teach it from the remote. It is IR, right?

Joe in West Los Angeles, CA
post #3112 of 6299 Old 10-15-2007, 09:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyjamesinc View Post

Can the 880 scroll through a playlist on media player on it's little lcd screen? ie. if i had an extender (or went with the 890 with rf) could i see the song list on the remote if i'm in another room?

The remote is neither receiving nor storing the names of your files or playlists. It is sending signals to control your playback devices.
post #3113 of 6299 Old 10-16-2007, 04:55 AM

Hi all. I just wanted to drop in now that I'm a new member of the Harmony 880 club. The wife gave it to me as an early bday present last night and this thing rocks!

We have been using 5 remotes all lined up on a side table. If we simply wanted to watch cable I would have to turn on 3 components but then possibly change the input and the source to what we needed. It was a real pain.

Now I have this great remote and within an hour I had an activity setup to turn it all on and set the inputs correctly. I don't know how we did without it.

I only have 2 small complaints. The setup wizard can be somewhat confusing and it also refused to control my dish 811 until I taught it the commands.

Other than that this remote is simply the best. This is the best bday present ever.
post #3114 of 6299 Old 10-16-2007, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernie33 View Post

You may not have quite the right understanding of a Harmony Activity. Best to think of an Activity as a custom remote that already knows about all of your equipment and which devices are needed to watch cable/satellite, or to watch a DVD, or to watch TV without cable/satellite, or to listen to music, or to use a video game device, or to use a VCR.

The software and website will guide you through identifying your equipment and specifying which devices are used for which activities. In most cases the only thing you will need to do after the setup is to enjoy the remote. In some cases you may need to do some additional tinkering with the settings to get things working exactly the right way for some Activity. The online setup will let you do that too. And if you still need assistance the Harmony telephone support is outstanding!

I think you are limited to two pages of Activities, with 8 Activities per page. But I have a hard time thinking of even eight Activities. In my case I have:
  • "Watch DVR" which means anything live or recorded using the cable box.
  • "Watch DVD"
  • "Watch TV" ignoring the cable company box (using my cablecard)
  • "Listen to radio"
  • "Listen to CD"
  • "Wii"
  • "Play VCR"
  • "System Options" which the software includes automatically and lets you reset the time in the remote. That time is only used to display the time to you on the LCD screen in the remote, not for anything else.
Some of those Activity names are the ones suggested automatically by the Harmony setup software, some are names I picked because they make the most sense in our environment. The Harmony software knew that my surround sound system includes a radio and the ability to play CD's and DVD's and so it set up those activities automatically although we never use our system for radio or CD's.

Yes.

The Harmony has a Device key that lets you perform any of the less common functions of your original remote for each of your devices. In my case, I also placed the Eject function on the main LCD softkey screen for the "Watch DVD" Activity, and I labeled that function "Open" rather than Eject.

It will apply to the device that the original remote was controlling.

Bernie

Thanks for the info. I am almost finished with the setup. I used the "sequence" procedure in the "activity" mode to eliminate some repetitive strokes-the only drawback to that is there is a limit of 10 sequences per activity. (I have an old satellite dish and it has to be positioned to 34 different locations. So I picked out the 10 most frequently used locations and I'll enter the other 24 manually-still a big improvement over the way I used to do it)
post #3115 of 6299 Old 10-16-2007, 04:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked: 1988
Quote:

I have an old satellite dish and it has to be positioned to 34 different locations.

I'm sorry, but this makes no sense to me. Could you elaborate on why (I don't even want to know the how) you have to move your satellite dish?!

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
Welcome to AVS - Get out while you still can!
Don't guess, measure: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/91-au...l#post22789786
post #3116 of 6299 Old 10-16-2007, 05:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 740 Post(s)
Liked: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post

I'm sorry, but this makes no sense to me. Could you elaborate on why (I don't even want to know the how) you have to move your satellite dish?!

You must be a whippersnapper. He's talking about the big old 10' C-Band satellite dishes. Best picture ever.
post #3117 of 6299 Old 10-17-2007, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post

You must be a whippersnapper. He's talking about the big old 10' C-Band satellite dishes. Best picture ever.

Actually it is a 12 footer and picks up both C and Ku band-commonly referred to as a "BUD" short for Big Ugly Dish!

So the "why" is to move across the arc to pick up the available satellites.
post #3118 of 6299 Old 10-17-2007, 06:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks for the info. I am almost finished with the setup. I used the "sequence" procedure in the "activity" mode to eliminate some repetitive strokes-the only drawback to that is there is a limit of 10 sequences per activity. (I have an old satellite dish and it has to be positioned to 34 different locations. So I picked out the 10 most frequently used locations and I'll enter the other 24 manually-still a big improvement over the way I used to do it)

Could you create multiple activities with 10 "locations" per activity? eg "Watch TV 1" has sequences for locations 1 thru 10, "Watch TV 2" has sequences for locations 11 thru 20 etc...

I know nothing about your setup, so I don't know if it's feasible or not, but just an idea...
post #3119 of 6299 Old 10-17-2007, 07:38 AM

Excellent idea that i had not thought of. will try. thanks!
post #3120 of 6299 Old 10-17-2007, 12:22 PM

I tried searching this thread but nothing came up. I am looking at utilizing: GRX-2403 grafik eye lighting control and wondering if the 880 will control this unit. I know the 3000 series it does work with Harmony. I am looking to buy it today so i was hoping for a quick definitive answer.

thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Remote Control Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page