Originally Posted by 4theheelz
a couple of newbie questions as i just ordered my 880 today:
1. my previous remote permitted me to program a number of keystokes to establish a macro activated by one button press. as i understand it, the 880 lets you do the same thing as an "Activity". is there a limit to the number of keystroke instructions to an activity.
You may not have quite the right understanding of a Harmony Activity. Best to think of an Activity as a custom remote that already knows about all of your equipment and which devices are needed to watch cable/satellite, or to watch a DVD, or to watch TV without cable/satellite, or to listen to music, or to use a video game device, or to use a VCR.
The software and website will guide you through identifying your equipment and specifying which devices are used for which activities. In most cases the only thing you will need to do after the setup is to enjoy the remote. In some cases you may need to do some additional tinkering with the settings to get things working exactly the right way for some Activity. The online setup will let you do that too. And if you still need assistance the Harmony telephone support is outstanding!
Is there a limit to the the number of custom activities that one can program?
I think you are limited to two pages of Activities, with 8 Activities per page. But I have a hard time thinking of even eight Activities. In my case I have:
- "Watch DVR" which means anything live or recorded using the cable box.
- "Watch DVD"
- "Watch TV" ignoring the cable company box (using my cablecard)
- "Listen to radio"
- "Listen to CD"
- "Play VCR"
- "System Options" which the software includes automatically and lets you reset the time in the remote. That time is only used to display the time to you on the LCD screen in the remote, not for anything else.
Some of those Activity names are the ones suggested automatically by the Harmony setup software, some are names I picked because they make the most sense in our environment. The Harmony software knew that my surround sound system includes a radio and the ability to play CD's and DVD's and so it set up those activities automatically although we never use our system for radio or CD's.
2. can you program a key or keys to "open/close" the DVD and "eject" on the VCR?
The Harmony has a Device key that lets you perform any of the less common functions of your original remote for each of your devices. In my case, I also placed the Eject function on the main LCD softkey screen for the "Watch DVD" Activity, and I labeled that function "Open" rather than Eject.
3. if you "learn" a command from another remote, is that learned command global or specific to a given device? thanks.
It will apply to the device that the original remote was controlling.