Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #61 of 271 Old 01-08-2009, 03:42 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
But why does it matter when you have a cradle that constantly keeps it at a full charge...?

Is there some reason you don't want to use the cradle...?

If there was, maybe I could understand your gripe. As it is, it just seems like your complaining only because you can, and not for a reason centered around something that effects how the remote functions, and therefore effects your use.

I don't mean to start something with you. I'm just honestly confused why a battery life of a couple of days matters when it should be fully charged everytime you pick it up?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 271 Old 01-08-2009, 08:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by XBR23 View Post

read my original post at the top of this page to understand. my MX850 will last 2-3 months on rechargable AAA's. why can't the MX980 last a week or so??

So does my MX-900. My 880 and 810 last a week or so.

But the 980 is very different. Those graphics use a lot of power. In the case of my 900, I can pick it up, change the volume and set it back down and the only power used it to sent the IR code.

With the 980, as soon as I pick it up, the sensor kicks on the graphics display, and keeps it on even if I just change the volume. The it keeps it lit for several seconds after I set it down. That is a lot more power used.

Please do not send me PM's asking for software! You will not get it.
post #63 of 271 Old 01-08-2009, 04:28 PM

Liked: 10
x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 271 Old 01-08-2009, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobp View Post

Hello. I just received my 980 and i'm trying to tweak it. The problem is that when I hook it up to my computer and try to download the changes, I get an error message: "Not Exist RCManager.exe." Any thoughts as to what I should do?

Varify you installed the driver properly too. I was having this issue with the first 880 i did. I couldnt get it to download to the remote for the life of me. Went to the device manager checked USB when remote was plugged in, clicked update driver....driver located in mx980 file but couldnt tell you the exact name
post #65 of 271 Old 01-08-2009, 04:34 PM

i'll bet that you're one of those people that keep your cordless phone on the charger base all the time.

i'm not continuing to complain about the battery life, you brought it up again and i explained why i was concerned in my original post. i found this thread because i was concerned about battery life, everyone told me it's normal so i will deal with it. then someone posted about an after market alternative and i decide to buy it to see if it's worth the $20. no biggie, i will post my review of the after market battery once i receive it and try it out in the 980.

i am more concerned with my RF issues, so hopefully, someone else is having issues with their RF350 and can explain why my antenna box is receiving the signal from the remote but not transmitting the signal to the IR outputs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinghot View Post

But why does it matter when you have a cradle that constantly keeps it at a full charge...?

Is there some reason you don't want to use the cradle...?

If there was, maybe I could understand your gripe. As it is, it just seems like your complaining only because you can, and not for a reason centered around something that effects how the remote functions, and therefore effects your use.

I don't mean to start something with you. I'm just honestly confused why a battery life of a couple of days matters when it should be fully charged everytime you pick it up?

post #66 of 271 Old 01-08-2009, 05:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

i'll bet that you're one of those people that keep your cordless phone on the charger base all the time.

Yep... lol. That's me... ...and also a strick rule, because it provides the added bonus of also being able to find the damn phone.

Quote:

i am more concerned with my RF issues, so hopefully, someone else is having issues with their RF350 and can explain why my antenna box is receiving the signal from the remote but not transmitting the signal to the IR outputs.

Sorry... I have the MRF-260, and have had no problems. Although my MSC uses the 250 (as does the 350)...again no problems that I could detail.

Now you did say:
Quote:

i am positive it's receiving the signal because the LED on the antenna box flashes based on my remote button input.

I pulled this from the 350's online page:

Quote:

The MRF-350 receives Narrow Band RF (radio frequency) signals via the RFX-250 RF Sensor (antenna module). The RFX-250 displays RF interference via a bright red LED which flickers when interference is present. Simply relocate the RFX-250 out of the interference area to resolve the problem.

Is it possible that it's simply your antenna location, that's causing your problems..?
post #67 of 271 Old 01-09-2009, 11:05 AM

a buddy helped me figure out my RF issue. i had the channel on the remote different from the channel on the box. i had changed the channel due to interference and forgot to change the software.
post #68 of 271 Old 01-10-2009, 04:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by herdfan View Post

With the 980, as soon as I pick it up, the sensor kicks on the graphics display, and keeps it on even if I just change the volume. The it keeps it lit for several seconds after I set it down. That is a lot more power used.

You do realize that the the backlight/button stuff is adjustable along with brightness, don't you? I'm not at home right now, but I believe I have both buttons and backlight set to 20 seconds, and I have the brightness set a few ticks lower than the factory setting. This way I don't burn out my eyes in a dark room, plus it probably uses less battery power.
post #69 of 271 Old 01-10-2009, 06:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad T View Post

You do realize that the the backlight/button stuff is adjustable along with brightness, don't you? I'm not at home right now, but I believe I have both buttons and backlight set to 20 seconds, and I have the brightness set a few ticks lower than the factory setting.

I think mine is set to 20 seconds as well and the brightness is definitely lower as default is way to bright.

post #70 of 271 Old 01-13-2009, 07:45 PM

Help....Help... Can someone please help me!!! I have a mx980 but no software. I got the remote from ebay (new) with no software. Please someone help me...
post #71 of 271 Old 01-13-2009, 08:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Have you tried contacting URC and asking them for the software?

David M.
post #72 of 271 Old 01-13-2009, 08:26 PM

No. is it true the only deal with dealers as far as give out the software?
post #73 of 271 Old 01-13-2009, 08:27 PM
Advanced Member

return it if you can

yes only dealers can provide the SW
post #74 of 271 Old 01-14-2009, 04:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

return it if you can

yes only dealers can provide the SW

That is not true. I got the software from URC directly after asking.

David M.
post #75 of 271 Old 01-14-2009, 06:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dminches View Post

That is not true. I got the software from URC directly after asking.

For the 980...?

...and what were your circumstances...? Did your authorized dealer go belly up after your purchase...? Because I can tell you that's not suppost to happen.
post #76 of 271 Old 01-14-2009, 06:12 AM
Advanced Member

My authorized dealer is alive and kicking. I called up URC and asked if I could get a copy of the programming software for the 980. I sent them a copy of my receipt and they sent me the information to get the software.

David M.
post #77 of 271 Old 01-14-2009, 07:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

For the 980...?

...and what were your circumstances...? Did your authorized dealer go belly up after your purchase...? Because I can tell you that's not suppost to happen.

There aren't supposed to be remotes on ebay at lower than most dealer's cost, but there are. I know we disagree about some of URC's policies, but at some point you may just have to acknowledge that they are written in pencil.

post #78 of 271 Old 01-14-2009, 10:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dminches View Post

My authorized dealer is alive and kicking. I called up URC and asked if I could get a copy of the programming software for the 980. I sent them a copy of my receipt and they sent me the information to get the software.

hmm... that's the whole story? They didn't ask about your dealer at all...?
post #79 of 271 Old 01-14-2009, 10:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herdfan View Post

There aren't supposed to be remotes on ebay at lower than most dealer's cost, but there are.

why not...? I could sell my 980 for under dealer cost...what's the big deal?

Different topic, for a different thread.
post #80 of 271 Old 01-17-2009, 04:24 AM

i received the Wasabi Power battery this week. i will post battery life when it's time to re-charge.
post #81 of 271 Old 01-18-2009, 09:15 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

i received the Wasabi Power battery this week. i will post battery life when it's time to re-charge.

Thanks, I am very interested to see if it's any better. Here's hoping so!

Chris

My HT: 60" Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD, Krell electronics, B&W N802s.
post #82 of 271 Old 01-21-2009, 05:20 AM

Wasabi battery update.

lasted from Saturday @ 7:00am until Tuesday @ 3:00pm before needing a re-charge. basically 3 plus days. just slightly better than the OEM that last 2-3 days.
post #83 of 271 Old 01-21-2009, 07:40 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

Wasabi battery update.

lasted from Saturday @ 7:00am until Tuesday @ 3:00pm before needing a re-charge. basically 3 plus days. just slightly better than the OEM that last 2-3 days.

That's not bad....The factory battery is a 1100mah whereas the Wasabi is 1400mah...that equates to a 21% increase in battery life, which it sounds like you got. Not a bad investment for 20 bucks.

Chris

My HT: 60" Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD, Krell electronics, B&W N802s.
post #84 of 271 Old 01-21-2009, 10:38 AM

The tilt sensor is generally the biggest drain on the 980 in my experience. The remote will turn on from the slightest movements, even when laying on the table someone walking by can trip the sensor. Turn the tilt sensor off, brightness down and the backlight on time to 10 seconds. I know 10 is kinda short, but 20 seconds is a long time for the lcd to stay on after just a volume change.
post #85 of 271 Old 01-21-2009, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasV555 View Post

This is a Harmony forum unofficially. People here hate dealers.

The MX980 is a nice remote.

Hey, I'm a dealer...

We all have to make a living ya know!!!!
post #86 of 271 Old 01-25-2009, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoggy View Post

The tilt sensor is generally the biggest drain on the 980 in my experience. The remote will turn on from the slightest movements, even when laying on the table someone walking by can trip the sensor. Turn the tilt sensor off, brightness down and the backlight on time to 10 seconds. I know 10 is kinda short, but 20 seconds is a long time for the lcd to stay on after just a volume change.

thanks for the tip hoggy.
post #87 of 271 Old 02-24-2009, 10:21 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I have 2 of these remotes. I love them, I had a 2 systems installed by Tweeters 4 months ago, right after the install Tweeters goes belly up. I call URC told them I needed the software, and they sent me a copy of the MX-980 editor.

I'm an owner not an installer, I played around with it, but I will have a proffesional do the programming when needed. At least I was able to upload my current program in the editor.

So now I want to add a lutron switch.

1) Can I take my program and lutron model number to an installer and have them add the device at the leisure and I can download it later?

2) What would the average price you would expect to pay for this?

Thanks for your help

5.2.2 Atmos : Epson Pro Cinema 4050 : 2-Paradigm Monitor SE 6000f : Paradigm Monitor SE 2000C : 2-SVS PB-2000 Subs: Denon AVR-X1500H : Screen Innovations 120 Gamma White 1.1
Rear 2- Sonance VP62 In Wall: Atmos 2- Sonance CR6 In Ceiling
post #88 of 271 Old 02-24-2009, 10:32 AM
Advanced Member

I purchased a basic Lutron dimmer which can be controlled by a remote and learned the codes from the supplied Lutron remote onto the MX-980. The dimmer cost about $35-$40.

David M.
post #89 of 271 Old 04-09-2009, 05:40 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Resurrecting this thread to see if anyone else has the same problem I just found with the newest firmware that the program downloaded to my remote.

Basically, I had a couple of date and time displays on various pages, that I had in custom font sizes (and bold), now under the new firmware the remote will only display them in a tiny, non-bold font (even though they still display correctly in the MX-980 editor software.

I tried wiping the remote completely and starting over, same result. Tried deleting the time/date displays in the software and re-adding them to the program, no luck. Just can't get the time and date displays to be bigger than about 2-point font on the remote. Very frustrating since it worked fine before it updated my firmware.
post #90 of 271 Old 07-17-2009, 03:31 PM

Hello all - I too was "lucky" enough to have gotten one of these through Tweeter right before they imploded. Ever since I've had it, the battery life has topped out at about 20 minutes before the yellow box comes up warning me to recharge the remote. I put it on the cradle every night, but then, when I go to use the system first thing in the morning, I get about 10 minutes of use before the battery goes yellow, about 20 before it is dead. I'm only using it to watch cable tv and rarely do anything for the 20 minutes other than adjust volume or change channels a few times. I contacted Universal about 2 months ago on their website, called them about 6 weeks ago, but never heard back from them, and doubt that I will. Has anyone gotten a replacement battery from them or do I need to go to the third party batteries mentioned above?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Mx 890

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page