Nevo Q50 Owners Thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #61 of 825 Old 03-04-2008, 07:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombyw00f View Post

No, but I was able to get it working with Boot Camp.

Thanks for the reply. I may try that as an option.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 825 Old 03-12-2008, 04:03 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Has anyone gotten Pronto hex codes working with StudioPro? I wasted 2 hours trying to get these hex codes for discrete power-on/off working on a Panasonic DMP-BD30. I eventually gave up and used the database device code for a DMRE50 (Y0490) which has discrete power codes that work.

I don't know if StudioPro has a limit on the length of lines when entering hex codes, or some other problem, but nothing I did gave useful results. I created a Power screen with 3 buttons: Power (database), Power On (hex code), and Power Off (hex code). The buttons with hex codes did not produce valid IR output (could not be learned on another remote). Also, every other time I pushed the button a red exclamation mark would appear on the status line.

If I entered a hex code for the Power function (override the database code), then the Power button would not produce valid IR output, but the Power Off button sends a valid IR command for Power! I learned that IR code on another remote and confirmed with JP1 tools that the Q50 was sending the standard Power code from the Power Off button, so StudioPro or the Q50 is very confused.

Eventually I will have to use hex codes, so is there some trick to making this work?

--Dan
post #63 of 825 Old 03-18-2008, 10:33 AM

Well now hex codes work just fine. I'm using 8 of them for my BD30, including power-on and power-off.

I didn't have any trouble getting hex codes to work for other buttons besides the power-on/off. Originally I just copy and pasted the power button 2 times, changed the label and action IR command. That seemed to confuse the software. So I deleted the 3 buttons on the power page, drag-and-dropped a new 3 button power group from the key-groups tab, and my original hex codes worked perfectly.

--Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 825 Old 03-19-2008, 05:42 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I entered those same hex codes to control my BD30, and they work fine. I'm not using the database, just started with an empty device.

Dennis
post #65 of 825 Old 03-31-2008, 01:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 219
If any of you Nevo owners still check this thread, I'm looking for any feedback you might have on Nevo remotes in general. I'm looking for a really good universal remote that I'll program myself, and I've kind of narrowed it down to the Nevo Q50, SL, or S70, the Pronto 9400, or maybe the Universal MX-980. RTI seems to be out because they're strictly installer-only.

I know this is technically the Q50 thread, but as I've read through, it looks like some of you have experience with other high-end remotes. And most of you appear to have had your Q50s for awhile so you're now the resident experts on that one!

I'm interested in any comparative comments regarding the Q50 vs. any other remotes you've used, and any of your feedback on the Q50 in use. The little quirks and annoyances that always come up in using any component are especially useful insights for me, so I especially welcome those.

And does anyone know anything about the actual ETA for the new S70? For those of you that chose the Q50 for the additional hard buttons, do you think the lack of them in the S70 is a huge handicap? Sorry for so many questions, but I'm really picky about remotes and I'm just trying hard to avoid buying an expensive paperweight.

If anybody's still out there reading this thread, thanks for taking the time to read my post and thanks in advance for any feedback you'd care to share....
post #66 of 825 Old 03-31-2008, 02:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've had my Nevo Q50 about a month now, and sold the Pronto tsu7000 on ebay. I'm actually quite surprised there is not more "buzz" about this remote.
This remote fits all of my needs in a remote. I have a Denon 4308, two Sat receivers (Directv), sony ps3, and an Oppo 980hd. The q50 has enough programable hard buttons to make this the only remote you need.
It is a true "one handed remote." I also have the RF add-on called "Nevo Connect." This works much better than the rfx6500 made by philips. It can address each component individually. With the HR20-700, no tape is needed over the ir window to work properly. I strongly recommend this over the Prontos if you want a one-handed remote.
post #67 of 825 Old 03-31-2008, 07:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drogot View Post

I've had my Nevo Q50 about a month now, and sold the Pronto tsu7000 on ebay. I'm actually quite surprised there is not more "buzz" about this remote.
This remote fits all of my needs in a remote. I have a Denon 4308, two Sat receivers (Directv), sony ps3, and an Oppo 980hd. The q50 has enough programable hard buttons to make this the only remote you need.
It is a true "one handed remote." I also have the RF add-on called "Nevo Connect." This works much better than the rfx6500 made by philips. It can address each component individually. With the HR20-700, no tape is needed over the ir window to work properly. I strongly recommend this over the Prontos if you want a one-handed remote.

Thanks much for the feedback. Do you think it's a good idea to go ahead and get the Nevo Connect up front, even if I'm not sure yet whether or how I'll need it? I think I'm about ready to make the jump.....everybody who already has this remote seems to love it.

The lack of buzz is due to the fact that these kinds of products just aren't marketed very well to the public, which I think is a big mistake. I've been into home theater for years and I'd never heard of Nevo until about three weeks ago when I decided to look into higher-end remote options. These just aren't out there where we see them unless we're looking for them.
post #68 of 825 Old 03-31-2008, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by progprog View Post

Thanks much for the feedback. Do you think it's a good idea to go ahead and get the Nevo Connect up front, even if I'm not sure yet whether or how I'll need it? I think I'm about ready to make the jump.....everybody who already has this remote seems to love it.

The lack of buzz is due to the fact that these kinds of products just aren't marketed very well to the public, which I think is a big mistake. I've been into home theater for years and I'd never heard of Nevo until about three weeks ago when I decided to look into higher-end remote options. These just aren't out there where we see them unless we're looking for them.

You may get a better deal if you buy the Q50 bundled with Nevo Connect.
post #69 of 825 Old 04-02-2008, 05:00 AM

I would definitely get the NevoConnect with the remote. If you don't need it now, I'll bet you will down the road. I came from a MX-950, and love this remote. I miss the variables on the MX-950 and wish the screen had better resolution, but otherwise this is close to the "Perfect" remote for me.

Dennis
post #70 of 825 Old 04-04-2008, 08:53 AM

Any word on when the s70 will be out?
post #71 of 825 Old 04-04-2008, 01:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungOne View Post

Any word on when the s70 will be out?

Spoke with a dealer recently who expected it within "weeks." We'll see. The Nevo site doesn't even say that the SL is discontinued yet.
post #72 of 825 Old 04-04-2008, 06:53 PM

Im contemplating the s70 or an rti product. Really want to get my hands on the s70 first before committing.
post #73 of 825 Old 04-04-2008, 08:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungOne View Post

Im contemplating the s70 or an rti product. Really want to get my hands on the s70 first before committing.

Well, you can't get your hands on it because it's just not out yet. But it's pretty clear that the S70, which I'm sure you know is the new generation of the SL, is designed to be more screen-oriented while the Q50 de-emphasizes the screen for those who like hard button control. They don't look to have hugely different capabilities otherwise, but that nice screen and the integrated wi-fi accounts for a pretty sizeable price jump: it's supposed to retail for around $1200, versus $699 for thr Q50.

One dealer clarified for me that the RTIs are definitely installer-only products. So if you're looking to just buy the remote and program it yourself, RTI wouldn't be an option. I agree that the S70 looks pretty cool- I wish they'd hurry up so we could at least start reading some reviews and decide whether it's worth waiting for.
post #74 of 825 Old 04-05-2008, 10:11 AM
Advanced Member

Has anyone owning a Mac successfully downloaded a file to their Q50 using either Mac Fusion or Mac Parallels?

I currently use bootcamp with success, but the Q50 is the only reason I boot into Windows, and I would rather use one of the above mentioned apps.

Mark

I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours." - - Stephen Roberts
post #75 of 825 Old 04-05-2008, 12:51 PM

Hi everybody,

I am a CI here in AZ, and have been working on a large project where I had spec'd in multiple Nevo Q50 remotes, along with the associated NC-50 kits. I've used Nevo previously, and own an original SL for my personal system, and as such, have been a big promoter of their product.

With this newest project, however, I've run into some real trouble with the NC-50. I have continuously experienced an approximate maximum range of 12'-16' from any Q50 to any NC-50, with a continual drop off of signal at or just beyond that range.

I have multiple Q50s and multiple NC-50s in the project, and have reset and reconfigured the entire network multiple times. I have replaced the antennas on the NC units with new antennas direct from Nevo. I was recently informed by a Nevo Tech that a majority of the initial batch of antennas distributed were bad, and that they had received a shipment of nearly 1,000 to replace the faulty units.

I was told today that the antennas are now fine, and that either my programming or the environmental conditions of the home are causing the trouble I am experiencing.

Here are my concerns:
1. I can not attenuate or modify the signal strength or communication capabilities of any of the Nevo hardware. I have been in the CI market for a number of years, and have programmed more remotes, lighting, and automation systems than I can count. I doubt my programming is faulty, as the system operates perfectly at <10' range.
2. The home is a typical stick-built home model, with drywall and common BIB insulation. There is no lead or foil lining in any of the walls. There are no other devices that operate on or near the frequency of the Z-wave frequency that the Nevo uses. As of yet, I have found no sign of Little Green Men wreaking havoc on the system.

I have read numerous other posts where CIs are experiencing the same problems that I am. I'd like to hear any experience or resolution that any of you have run into with regards to this issue.

Thanks in advance for your feedback,
EvoHome

"All things being equal, the simplest solution tends to be the best one." :: Occam's Razor
post #76 of 825 Old 04-05-2008, 02:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by evohome View Post

With this newest project, however, I've run into some real trouble with the NC-50. I have continuously experienced an approximate maximum range of 12'-16' from any Q50 to any NC-50, with a continual drop off of signal at or just beyond that range.

I was told today that the antennas are now fine, and that either my programming or the environmental conditions of the home are causing the trouble I am experiencing.
EvoHome

I think most of us had heard of the batch of faulty antennas. So you're convinced that that wasn't related to the problem you are seeing? I'm not experienced with z-wave myself; what is the typical range you'd expect between z-wave products? I know it's a mesh network, which makes me think that the signals are likely much shorter range than, say, 802.11 wi-fi.

One other speculation: In the Q50 as shipped, Nevo has the z-wave capability disabled, aside from the capacity to communicate with the NC-50. They are supposedly gearing up for a firmware upgrade that will "open" up the Q50 for use with other z-wave devices. Again, not knowing details of the z-wave protocol, I'm wondering if it's possible that whatever method they are using now to block open use of the z-wave functions might be affecting its communication with the NC-50. Just a thought. Let me know if you think thats a possibility or probably way off base.
post #77 of 825 Old 04-07-2008, 11:15 PM

Hey progprog,

Thanks first for the reply.

I did swap out all antennas with replacements from Nevo, and had no change in performance. I pulled all the Nevo gear, brought it home, and reconfigured everything again. Here's the last test layout: One NC50 sitting on the kitchen counter, SE corner; move to NW corner of Great Room with any Q50, ~40 linear feet away. When I hit about 15', indirect (out of line-of-sight) and push a button to initiate a macro, the first step or two fire off, and then I get the triangle of death, along with the "can't find" screen.

Line of sight from any Q50 to the NC50s results in better range, but not much. I took a Q and an NC out on the back patio, and got almost 30' spread with no problems. Thing is, my Client's gear is not on their back patio; damn pesky walls...

Communication with Nevo tech has been good to great.While I was really frustrated and pissed off about all this at first, they have really stepped up to handle things. It has made the process easier for me, but the Client is still not happy. He's holding my last large draw until I can complete the remote install (completely understandable).

I've ordered three TSU9400 remotes, should be here today... Any feedback on them from anyone?

By the way, the range of the Nevo on the Z-wave net should be 30'-40' according to Nevo. I did get pretty good range on a Vizia RF switch I installed, as a repeater. Seemed like about 30' on the switch...

Thanks,
EvoHome

"All things being equal, the simplest solution tends to be the best one." :: Occam's Razor
post #78 of 825 Old 04-08-2008, 12:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

When I hit about 15', indirect (out of line-of-sight) and push a button to initiate a macro, the first step or two fire off, and then I get the triangle of death, along with the "can't find" screen.

Line of sight from any Q50 to the NC50s results in better range, but not much. I took a Q and an NC out on the back patio, and got almost 30' spread with no problems. Thing is, my Client's gear is not on their back patio; damn pesky walls...

Thanks,
EvoHome

Hey, I've heard outdoor home theater is the new latest thing! I can see why both you and your client would be frustrated by all this; so you're both giving up on Nevo and going to the Pronto 9400?

Again, forgive my general ignorance and inexperience with z-wave. But if I read your post correctly, you imply that (1) the Q50 and NC have maybe a 30' line-of-sight communication range that quickly diminishes when obstacles are present (pesky walls...yes), and that (2) the range is improved/restored by the addition of the Vizia repeater. Clarify if I got that part wrong.

If both of these things are true, I'd surmise that Nevo is being very "generous" with their range figures and that the z-wave mesh network functions better as more devices are present. That last part makes sense in terms of my limited understanding of z-wave, and implies that only two devices, the Q50 & NC in this case, will have a fairly short range as they can't use other devices to triangulate around obstacles. Makes me think that Nevo saw the Q50 + NC combo as a one-room, short-range set-up until they enable full functionality of the Q50's z-wave chip. Any thoughts?

Also, do you have any opinion on whether the Q50's firmware restriction on z-wave could somehow affect its communication with the NC? I'm very curious about this because it suggests that Nevo really needs to hurry up with that firmware upgrade...
post #79 of 825 Old 04-08-2008, 01:32 PM

Hey prog;

The capable range was extended by the Vizia switch, but not enough to make up for the spread of the system overall. I could install another ten or twelve switches, at $70.00 each, or change remotes out.

I don't want to speculate on the design constraints of the Nevo gear in general. I really like the remote, even with a lower-than-usual LCD resolution. As far as communication range, I've read online that different Z wave manufacturers boast about a range of up to 100'. Maybe it's a power restriction thing with regards to the remotes... I have an original Nevo SL, which uses WiFi, which results in the battery lasting about 2 hours out of the cradle...

With regards to the restrictions, not too sure about what how or what they can limit or control with the NC. All control is issued through the Q50, which needs to have enough broadcast power to properly interface with multiple nodes outside the Nevo ecosystem.

The Vizia RF gear is nice and solid. I just did a full training session here in town a couple weeks ago. They offer a remote control with a built-in astronomical clock for around $180.00 cost. This remote far exceeds what Nevo can do now.

I like the Pronto units for the WiFi communication, and for the built-in interface with Escient and Lutron lighting control. If you're looking at lighting control, take a look at the Pronto...

Thanks,
EvoHome

post #80 of 825 Old 04-08-2008, 01:44 PM

Did you try the range "optimize" procedure at the install location? Did UEI tech ever suggest this?

Use the stylus to click top status bar -> Settings -> Advanced -> Ecosystem -> NC50 -> Configure -> Optimize

I think it automatically does an optimize the first time you setup the NC50 which was at your office, right?

--Dan
post #81 of 825 Old 04-08-2008, 03:47 PM

Last time I counted, I had optimized at least 10 different times. Did that every time I added, changed, modified, or otherwise looked at the system. I am at a second installation right now, with a single Q50 and a single NC50. If I move more than 18' from the cabinet the NC is located in, I lose connectivity. This is completely different gear that I did not check the range on previously (single-room install)...

???

post #82 of 825 Old 04-08-2008, 03:52 PM

Liked: 11
Anyone ever open up a Q50?

I am going to add a tilt switch to my q50, paralleled off the "Home / Backlight" button on the side of the remote. I did this same mod to my old TSU1000 and it works fantastic. I do not have the button programmed for any actions, just used to light up the remote

I can't believe that nevo dropped the ball with no pick up sensor! scores very low on the WAF.

I am assuming that it is just snapped together like an ipod, But before I go ahead I thought I should ask if anyone has any tricks.

Thanks.

--
Korey
post #83 of 825 Old 04-08-2008, 04:11 PM

Buy some stupidglue just in case.

post #84 of 825 Old 04-08-2008, 04:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korey View Post

Anyone ever open up a Q50?

I am going to add a tilt switch to my q50, paralleled off the "Home / Backlight" button on the side of the remote. I did this same mod to my old TSU1000 and it works fantastic. I do not have the button programmed for any actions, just used to light up the remote

I can't believe that nevo dropped the ball with no pick up sensor! scores very low on the WAF.

I am assuming that it is just snapped together like an ipod, But before I go ahead I thought I should ask if anyone has any tricks.

Thanks.

You're braver than me. Let us know how it goes....
post #85 of 825 Old 04-08-2008, 09:57 PM

Quote:

Buy some stupidglue just in case.

No stupid glue required..

Quote:

You're braver than me. Let us know how it goes....

Figured it out, 4 screws hidden under the rubber feet, then just snaps apart like I thought.

I have the tilt switch glued in, letting it sit overnight, should finish it tomorrow. I have taken a few picts of the procedure and will post them after completion if there is any interest.

--
Korey
post #86 of 825 Old 04-08-2008, 10:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I have the tilt switch glued in, letting it sit overnight, should finish it tomorrow. I have taken a few picts of the procedure and will post them after completion if there is any interest.

By all means, post the pics! Just so I understand, the switch you're installing is to make the Q50 screen turn on whenever you pick it up or move it? How does that work?
post #87 of 825 Old 04-08-2008, 10:31 PM

Quote:

By all means, post the pics! Just so I understand, the switch you're installing is to make the Q50 screen turn on whenever you pick it up or move it? How does that work?

Yes, I don't use the button on the side for anything other than activating the backlight, The tilt switch is just wired in parallel with the switch so when the unit is moved and that the tilt switch is activated (contact is closed) it's just like pressing the button on the side, but Automagiclly!

Just like it should have been from the factory.

--
Korey
post #88 of 825 Old 04-09-2008, 05:23 AM

I'd be interested in these pics as well Korey.
post #89 of 825 Old 04-09-2008, 09:12 AM

Quote:

Yes, I don't use the button on the side for anything other than activating the backlight, The tilt switch is just wired in parallel with the switch so when the unit is moved and that the tilt switch is activated (contact is closed) it's just like pressing the button on the side, but Automagiclly!

Just like it should have been from the factory.

But aren't that keeping the contact "close-all-the-time" when you pick it up or it's like pressing the "Home / Backlight" button without letting it go or maybe the screen will just show "Home" menu forever?
So if you press the "Home / Backlight" button without letting it go, can you still press other button and get the other commands?

I like to see your mods and your finding.
post #90 of 825 Old 04-09-2008, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nizee View Post

But aren't that keeping the contact "close-all-the-time" when you pick it up or it's like pressing the "Home / Backlight" button without letting it go or maybe the screen will just show "Home" menu forever?
So if you press the "Home / Backlight" button without letting it go, can you still press other button and get the other commands?

I like to see your mods and your finding.

Got it all done!

The only caveat is that once the contact is closed via the tilt switch the first button press has to be done twice, must be that the backlight button is being held down via the tilt switch. sucks but is better than no motion sensor, I am already used to it.

My home button is not programmed to do anything, if yours is then yes it would obviously return to the home screen, or wherever or execute whatever action or jump you have programmed to it.

Forgot the cable for the camera at work, so pictures will follow tomorrow.

--
Korey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Remote Control Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page