Projector Lag - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 11-17-2013, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am deciding between 2 projectors. The epson 5020ub and the panasonic ae8000. The epson has a lag of 50ms in gaming mode and the ae8000 has 34ms. Will I see I difference? The epson has slightly better image quality, so I'm leaning towards that. I do light gaming, halo and games like that. I don't want them to be unplayable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-17-2013, 06:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 249
50msec should be fine. Most people would never be able to tell. Serious gamers and twitch gamers maybe. 50 wouldn't stop me from buying

Xbox Live: TheRealMaxPower --- PSN: BeyondMaxPower---- Vizio P75-C1    Vienna Acoustic Mozart Grands    Pioneer SC-72   Sony BDP-S790 Xbox One S, PS4 Pro, Astro Mixamp 2013, Soundblaster X7 (Sparkos Op Amps), Schiit Modi Multibit/Magni, LTA MicroZOTL2 headphone amp, Hifiman HE-X V2, AKG K702 65th Anniversary, Fostex TH-X00 Ebony, Monoprice Monolith M1060 (Vegan pads), DT990 Pro 250 ohm, Massdrop/Sennheiser HD6XX and PC37X Audio Technica ATH-M50x Antlion ModMic
post #3 of 6 Old 04-02-2014, 10:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 37
There are several DLP gaming projectors with 0-10ms input lag.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 04-30-2014, 10:33 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I own the sony hw30es projector. It has about a 30ms lag similar to the panny projector. It has never been noticeable to me. I'm not a hardcore FPS player, but I do play COD and have never thought I was at a disadvantage. BTW, look at the sony projectors. They have a similar price, awesome lcos picture, great warranty, good for gaming and movies. I was deciding between Sony, Epson, and Panasonic and after demoing all three I got the sony and haven't been disappointed at all.

My Theater build
https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post21268949
xboxone gamertag: MASTERpTWINKIE
PS3: zaczimer
post #5 of 6 Old 07-05-2014, 08:44 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I have an Epson 5030UB. It is supposedly at the low end of the spectrum as far as input lag goes (37ms according to Projector Central). This was one of the factors I considered when deciding what projector to purchase. And, all things considered, I would still probably go with the 5030, as I have a TV that I can play games on. It is great for movies and has surpassed my expectations in almost every category. But, I wish I had paid attention to one caveat associated with that response time.

That caveat is the mode that you have to put the 5030 into in order to achieve the low lag times. If you just switch from a movie to a game and start playing, the lag is unbearable. In order to achieve a faster response time, you have to enable Fast Mode. But Fast Mode comes at a price - substantially lower image quality due to most of the image processing being disabled. Once in Fast Mode, I think the lag is still a bit too high for my tastes, but it is not unplayable at that point. I can theoretically play things like Skyrim or Bioshock Infinite. But I cannot play any type of competitive FPS (I've tested it on COD: Ghosts and Battlefield 4 on the PS4). But, regardless of playability, the image looks terrible.

So, in the end, I simply don't use it for gaming.

It is my understanding that the 5020 is very similar to the 5030. So, if you have an opportunity to preview the projector with a console, I would try to do that. Here is Projector Central's comments about the input lag:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/pana...Lag-and-Gaming
post #6 of 6 Old 07-08-2014, 04:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked: 348
having gone through 5 Epsons to get one good one...

Get the panny.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Gaming

Tags
Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page