Atari 2600 to Kuro to Pioneer Receiver - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 06-04-2015, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Atari 2600 to Kuro to Pioneer Receiver

Hello, and apologies in advance if this is a dumb question.

I have an Atari 2600 Heavy Sixer (actually, 2 of those), a Pioneer Kuro, and a Pioneer Receiver (VSX-01THX).

The TV is connected to the Receiver via HDMI. (I also have a BD, FIOS, and Roku connected to the Receiver via HDMI). All that works fine.

Currently, the RF cable from the Atari is connected to the TV at the Sat A Coax. I'm using an RF to Coax adapter.

When I tune the TV to Sat A Channel 3, I get terrific video from whichever of the 2 Ataris I hook up.

But I get no sound. Not fuzz or anything. That is with the Receiver tuned to "TV," on the front panel of the Receiver. If I tune the Receiver to HDMI 1, I do get sound from FIOS.

I'm sure I'm missing something very obvious, but I don't see it. Help please. I'm not super smart with this stuff, so please teach me in simple terms
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-05-2015, 06:43 AM - Thread Starter

I added RCAs from the TV Sat Audio Out (L/R) jacks to the Receiver Sat Audio In (L/R) jacks, and got sound.

I guess the HDMI connection from the TV to the Receiver doesn't carry the audio from the Atari. Maybe because it's not digital audio.

Anyway, It's Alive!
post #3 of 7 Old 06-17-2015, 08:49 PM

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 36
That must be something to see.
How is the input lag? wondering how games like Kaboom! might look, I remember when I was a kid I noticed the frame rate was so bad on that game.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 06-23-2015, 07:21 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Your receiver will be set to receive audio via hdmi on that input.

You would also need to run analog cables from your television to the TV input on the receiver. I'm not sure how your receiver will handle that. Best case scenario, it will auto select the analog cables whenever you switch to the cable input of your TV to use the Atari

Worst case scenario though, I'm thinking you'd probably have to manually switch the receiver to choose analog audio on the TV input whenever you want to use the Atari. Then you'd have to switch it back to hdmi audio after you were done. That would suck, but at least it would work.

Better solution would be to run all your video devices into your receiver first. Then just have one single hdmi going to the TV set. You would have to run your Atari into a VCR first, or other type of RF demodulator. Or you could get your Atari modified so I has composite av outs. This is what I did.
post #5 of 7 Old 06-29-2015, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbab View Post
Better solution would be to run all your video devices into your receiver first. Then just have one single hdmi going to the TV set. You would have to run your Atari into a VCR first, or other type of RF demodulator. Or you could get your Atari modified so I has composite av outs. This is what I did.
I have all of my video devices running into my receiver first, but because the Atari is just RF I had to run that to the coax on the TV and then L/R audio cables from the TV to the receiver. It actually had a nice picture with a new RF cable and filter -- color bleeding was the main issue.

I just got one of the Atari consoles modified by Electronic Sentimentalities with S-video and composite outs -- it's in the mail heading back to me. And I picked up a Harmony cartridge to hold ROMs of all 500+ games. So I'll be able to report back on how Kaboom and others work. I'm excited to try some of the ROM Hacks that folks have made to look and act more like the arcade versions.
post #6 of 7 Old 07-08-2015, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter

So here's the update:

I connected the 2600 to the receiver through s-video and component stereo audio. The receiver is connected to the tv through HDMI. Some games worked fine. Others played only in black and white or acted as though they were corrupted and we not playable.

I then connected the 2006 straight to the tv through s-video, and left the stereo audio outs from the 2600 connected to the receiver. Perfection!

So, I guess this means the receiver can't fully convert s-video to HDMI.

All of the games look fantastic connected straight to the tv through s-video. Better than component video (which I also tried) and far better than RF. I had no problems with any games, and I tried a lot of them.
post #7 of 7 Old 07-28-2015, 11:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1950 Post(s)
Liked: 626
Hey all, I also still use my Atari equipment. Because I have it, I use a 7200 on my Panasonic 60" ST50 to play games on, since I can play both 2600 and 7800 games. We do not have the sound sent back to the receiver, really no need for any more than what's coming from the TV speakers. Kaboom is my favorite game, so it is what is usually being played. Picture is fantastic and there's no lag at all.

Here's a little background, I've been an Atari fan since I was a kid. I scraped and scraped and bought my first one not too long after release. I currently have 6 2600 consoles, mostly VCS's. I haven't looked to see if any of them are heavy sixers, because I don't feel like unboxing all that stuff to see what's in there. I have one 2800, complete with the controllers, two 5200's and one 5200 trak ball controller, and three 7800's. I have more games and controllers than I feel like counting.

I was also quite the Atari computer fan, although I was a C=64 guy during the 8 bit days. On the Atari side, I've owned them from the original 520 with TOS on disk and a single sided floppy drive, through a 1040ST, 1040STe, Mega STe, Falcon, and a TT/030. I had a setup with dual monitors (monochrome and color) up until I was able to get a Moniterm for my TT/030 - I did mostly DTP so this was perfect for me. I also ran an Atari BBS, on Ratsoft BBS.

I was able to obtain a lot of this while I was working for an Atari repair shop back in the early 90's. We did all sorts of board level repairs, even memory upgrades on the Atari Portfolio.

I see he does 7800s too. I may have to send one in! My receiver does the upconversion.

Last edited by TornadoTJ; 07-28-2015 at 11:25 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Gaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page