HDR Issues with PS4 Pro - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 11-22-2016, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
HDR Issues with PS4 Pro

Need some help! Ive been banging my head against the wall on this for a couple of weeks and havent found a solution. I have a PS4 Pro, LG E6 65" TV, Denon AVR 2200W Reciever. The PS4 shows that my TV is HDR and 4k compatible. Which should mean everything is great....However....I do not have ANY HDR functionality. Amazon nor Netflix push HDR, though they do show up as 4k. I have Deep Color set on my TV for all HDMI slots, and HDR works great through my Samsung UBD‑K8500. Any Ideas? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-22-2016, 03:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 18
LG sets have a known issue with PSPro and HDR. Upcoming firmware update should fix.
Details http://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarch.../#180486984719

XBL: BigMikeRich
PSN: BigMikeRich
post #3 of 10 Old 11-24-2016, 12:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 10
edit: oops

Last edited by WeApOn; 11-24-2016 at 06:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 11-24-2016, 04:09 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeApOn View Post
Edit: Oops meant to create a new post but its in a relevant thread so I'll keep this here.

I've been looking all over for "ps4 OLEDB6P 4k" and all I see are PS4 PRO posts about the current known issue.

I have tried FOUR HDMI cables and every one of them shows 1080p under sound and screen options on my PS4 SLIM. There is no way to enable 4k.

I've tried disabling HDCP on the Slim, changing ULTRA HD options on the OLEDB6P, and switching HDMI ports on the TV.

What could be causing this? Is this related to the known issue? I have not seen any posts on this so I'm hoping someone is knowledgeable on this.

Thanks for any help!

The PS4 Pro isn't a 4k machine, it merely upscales 1080p with some clever algorithms etc. However, despite that are you connecting the PS4 through your amp and to the TV? If so, does it have HDMI 2.0 sockets? Try bypassing the amp if you are doing it that way and see it that connects correctly.
post #5 of 10 Old 11-29-2016, 02:49 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I have the B6 OLED, PS4 Pro, PSVR and Yamaha RX-A2000. When B6 is connected to PS4 Pro directly I get a black screen, but displays properly when I go through the PSVR. Issue is with PSVR output I only get 4K/60Hz 4:2:0 and no HDR. I purchased a HDFury Integral and it allows me to go from the PS4 Pro to B6 with 4K/60Hz 4:4:4 and I have HDR. I use optical back to AVR since the receiver is HDMI 1.4 and cannot go direct HDMI. When I tried using Integral as a splitter, the B6 displays fine, but PSVR has no signal. Apparently the PS4 Pro automatically sets resolution to 1080P/60Hz when PSVR is turned on since the HMD cannot handle higher resolutions. The only way to resolve this is to get a HDFury Linker that will down-convert 4K to 1080P to input into PSVR (or AVR).

I hear that the issue with B6 (and other LG 4K TVs), is that the HDCP 2.2 handshake happens too quickly for PS4 Pro and results in a black screen. Folks have to set their PS4 Pro to HDMI 1.4 via safe mode in order to get a picture. This causes issues for Netflix and Amazon that require the HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 for them to display 4K content. I read that switching inputs to a different input on B6 and back re-negotiates the hand-shake. I haven't tested this yet.

I have a RX-A2050 coming that supports HDMI 2.0 / HDCP 2.2, so can eliminate the Integral, but still would have the issue with the PSVR cable swapping (unless I get the HDFury Linker). Folks that are going from PS4 Pro through the HDMI 2.0 AVR to LG B6 don't have the handshake issues. I just picked up a XBox One S for use as a UHD Blu-Ray player and hear that it doesn't have the same issues with B6 as the PS4 Pro.

Hopefully firmware updates from Sony and LG are coming soon.
post #6 of 10 Old 11-29-2016, 02:52 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haiz View Post
The PS4 Pro isn't a 4k machine, it merely upscales 1080p with some clever algorithms etc. However, despite that are you connecting the PS4 through your amp and to the TV? If so, does it have HDMI 2.0 sockets? Try bypassing the amp if you are doing it that way and see it that connects correctly.
Incorrect... PS4 Pro does output natively at 4K. The PS4 Slim is only 1080P and the TV upscales to 4K. Maybe you had a typo in your response.
post #7 of 10 Old 01-15-2017, 07:09 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracode View Post
Incorrect... PS4 Pro does output natively at 4K. The PS4 Slim is only 1080P and the TV upscales to 4K. Maybe you had a typo in your response.

Nope, no typo. You are lead to believe it's native 4k but it's not.

Link 1

Link 2
post #8 of 10 Old 01-18-2017, 08:59 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 38
The PS4 Pro is capable of native 4K gaming, but it's only used on older games or ones that aren't as demanding. The following list is taken from a Neogaf post:

- Assassin's Creed: The Ezio Collection (Native [email protected])
- Battleborn (Native [email protected])
- Bound (Native [email protected] + MSAA x2 upscaled from MSAAx8 in normal gameplay / in VR mode: rendering to 4K internal screen which is then supersampled to 1080P display in PSVR + new effects like volumetric lights + sharper shadows)
- Bulletstorm: Full Clip Edition (Native 4K)
- Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (Native [email protected])
- Diablo III: Reaper of Souls - Ultimate Evil Edition (Native 4K (dynamic resolution: 2160p in normal scenes, 1080p in heavy scenes)@60FPS / improved ambient occlusion + enhanced bloom)
- Farming Simulator 17 (Native 4K)
- FIFA 17 (Native [email protected] + Higher resolution depth of field buffer)
- forma.8 (Native [email protected] + 8xMSAA )
- Futuridium EP Deluxe (Native [email protected])
- Hatsune Miku - Project DIVA - X HD (Native 4K / Video quality of 3D drawing is enhanced)
- Hustle Kings (Native 4K)
- LEGO Harry Potter Collection (Native [email protected])
- Let It Die (Native [email protected])
- Locoroco (Native 4K + HDR)
- Mantis Burn Racing (Native [email protected] / Native [email protected] for 4 player split-screen / + HDR)
- Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor (Native 4k (most of the times but scales down to 80% of it which is 3072 x 1728 in heavy scenes) @30fps )
- NBA 2K17 (Native [email protected] + HDR)
- Neon Chrome (Native [email protected])
- Ni-Oh (Native [email protected])
- Parappa The Rapper (Native 4K + HDR)
- Patapon (Native 4K + HDR)
- Pro Evolution Soccer 2017 (Native [email protected])
- Rez Infinite (Native [email protected])
- Smite (Native 4K(dynamic resolution)@60FPS)
- The Elder Scrolls Online (Native [email protected] + HDR)
- The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition Edition (Native [email protected])
- The Last Of Us Remastered (Native [email protected] with the best shadows + HDR)
- The Witness (Native [email protected] + 2xMSAA + HDR)
- Thumper (Native [email protected])
- Viking Squad (Native [email protected] + 2xMSAA)
- Wheels of Aurelia (Native [email protected])

Yes, the majority of games are using the checkerboard upscaling to 4K from a lower 1440p or 1800p resolution, but there are games that are in native 4K. The PS4 Pro does support it.
post #9 of 10 Old 01-23-2017, 08:56 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Hello all,

I have a denon 7200wa, the lg e6p and the original ps4 launch model and i am not able to get hdr from the ps4 when connected to my receiver. when i connect to the tv directly hdr is working. i read somewhere recently that hdr on the ps4 only works when connected directly to the tv but i am positive that a few weeks ago it was working through the receiver but i am unable to get this to work recently. i have deep color set to on for the tv hdmi slot and everything is set to automatic on the ps4 settings.

I know this thread is for the ps4 pro but i was wondering if someone was having the same issues for the ps4 launch model and had a fix. i don't want to connect to the tv and go through arc pass through because i have a dolby atmos setup i take advantage of through the ps4 bluray player.

if anyone has a fix for this could you please let me know. Also if someone has the same setup can you confirm that the ps4 pro will work when sending the signal through the receiver first?

Thank you
post #10 of 10 Old 01-26-2017, 09:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by T bagger View Post
Hello all,

I have a denon 7200wa, the lg e6p and the original ps4 launch model and i am not able to get hdr from the ps4 when connected to my receiver. when i connect to the tv directly hdr is working. i read somewhere recently that hdr on the ps4 only works when connected directly to the tv but i am positive that a few weeks ago it was working through the receiver but i am unable to get this to work recently. i have deep color set to on for the tv hdmi slot and everything is set to automatic on the ps4 settings.

I know this thread is for the ps4 pro but i was wondering if someone was having the same issues for the ps4 launch model and had a fix. i don't want to connect to the tv and go through arc pass through because i have a dolby atmos setup i take advantage of through the ps4 bluray player.

if anyone has a fix for this could you please let me know. Also if someone has the same setup can you confirm that the ps4 pro will work when sending the signal through the receiver first?

Thank you
I have video conversion off all the time, but i know some people say you need video conversion off on the denon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Gaming

Tags
denon 2200w , lg oled tv , ps4 pro

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page