I need a VPN and your input - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 12-11-2017, 04:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Arrow I need a VPN and your input

I think its finally time for me to take the dive and get a VPN for my home/devices. I notice that you "save" way more money when you go with a long term deal (~6-12mo) and seeing as how that is a commitment, I need to make the right choice.

Upon doing a bit of research several website seem to endorse several different VPNs as their goto/endorsed etc.

I really don't know where to begin and would like your input. I thank you very much in advance.

Quick questions. Is a VPN simple to use? Is the speed decrease noticeable? Do I simply open the VPN and then browse the internet as normal? Is there anything that a VPN doesn't "hide" that I should be aware of?

Of note: It has to specifically mask peer to peer sharing if this is an option.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k
GPU: EVGA 1080 FTW
Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 Gaming 7
Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H115i
Case: NZXT H440 Red/Black
Monitor: LG 34" UC88-B

Last edited by cctaylor88; 12-11-2017 at 04:39 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-11-2017, 03:22 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by cctaylor88 View Post
I think its finally time for me to take the dive and get a VPN for my home/devices. I notice that you "save" way more money when you go with a long term deal (~6-12mo) and seeing as how that is a commitment, I need to make the right choice.

Upon doing a bit of research several website seem to endorse several different VPNs as their goto/endorsed etc.

I really don't know where to begin and would like your input. I thank you very much in advance.

Quick questions. Is a VPN simple to use? Is the speed decrease noticeable? Do I simply open the VPN and then browse the internet as normal? Is there anything that a VPN doesn't "hide" that I should be aware of?

Of note: It has to specifically mask peer to peer sharing if this is an option.
Hate to sound stupid but what is a VPN?

Bill Shenefelt; JBL 4343 monitors on Audire and Crown 1502 amps. 2 SVS 16 SB subs. 8 cu ft ported enclosure with 18 inch jbl driver on a Crown 1002 XTi amp (below 30 cps cut via eq), 4 Klipsch in-ceiling atmos. Anthem MRX 1120 receiver. Accuphase C-200, PS P600, Sony 4k projector and tv, SOTA Saphire turntable and Oppo 205 disk player .
post #3 of 8 Old 12-11-2017, 03:35 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Shenefelt View Post
Virtual Private Network. a more secure way to use the internet. Corporations, many of them anyway, often require employees who work off site to connect their computer (usually a company computer) to the company's VPN for a more secure networking experience. offers the security of not allowing other users not affiliated w/the company on that network, even though the user may be sharing an open wifi signal. I don't know a lot about them, never really used one, but have considered getting one for home use.

Often times, the user of the VPN can emulate a different geographical region. A co-worker likes some shows offered on Netflix out of the UK, so he accesses netflix on his VPN that he has set as a UK based IP or something.

Vinyl, tape, digital... I don't care as long as I can listen to my music...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 12-18-2017, 08:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 16
When I was looking for a VPN provider the one that kept popping up having the best overall reviews was ExpressVPN. That's what I went with and it's been great. They have apps for Android, iOS, Windows, Mac, etc. as well as a way to set up your router to use their VPN so EVERYTHING that connects to the router goes through the VPN. I didn't do that and only use the VPN on my iOS devices connected through WiFi and my personal PC connected through Ethernet.

https://www.expressvpn.com/
post #5 of 8 Old 08-24-2018, 03:36 AM

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 79
I'm using ProtonVPN together with ProtonMail and very happy with both services

https://protonvpn.com/
post #6 of 8 Old 08-24-2018, 03:50 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Shenefelt View Post
technically it is a encrypted pipe to another network
companies uses it to give access to their internal network to people outside the physical place (like working from home)

people use that to download illegal things because the IP address that is making these illegal download then isn't their own but one IP from the remote network you are connected by the VPN (remote network do the download with their IP then send to you encrypted through the VPN). Also lead to make the websites you visit think you live in the place of the remote network (so can change your country and so on)

it doesnt make your connection to internet more or less secure
It forwards all your internet trafic to a remote network. That's why this remote network should be trustful. They can do what they want with all your trafic, digging into it, logging it, analysing it, selling info they found inside to make money and so on

Denon X4400H / MiniDSP 88A-BM -> Atoll AM200 -> Kef IQ70 fronts
Crown XLS 1502 bridged -> Velodyne CHT 10Q (with dead internal amp) / SVS SB12-SND
Emotiva A-700 -> Kef IQ60c / Kef IQ 10 surrounds / SVS Prime Elevation front heights & rears
post #7 of 8 Old 08-27-2018, 10:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Tunnelbear is a nice and stable option to go, they also provide a limited traffic for free at the start!
post #8 of 8 Old 10-14-2019, 07:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 92
I use NordVPN with a Sabai VPN router and VPN accelerator. This is the best performance turnkey method: https://www.sabaitechnology.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Gaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page