Dim and washed out HDR pc gaming. Need help! - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 09-17-2018, 09:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Dim and washed out HDR pc gaming. Need help!

Hi AVS,

First post here and would be so happy if I could find some resolution to my problem. From my extended scouring of the internet for a solution, AVS posters seem to offer the most sound advice!

Broadly, my issue is that a number of my games do not display HDR properly. In Battlefield 1, Assassins Creed Origins, and Shadow Warrior 2 the HDR signal gives a dim and washed out look. I can see that there is a greater breadth to contrast and specular highlights and so on, but colours appear washed out and dull. To make matters more confusing, some games (like Far Cry 5 and Mass Effect: Andromeda) display HDR content perfectly - they are bright, colourful and display great contrast. This is further confirmed by the fact that when I run MSI afterburner overlay, on the dim and washed out games, the overlay is also dim, and on the games that work correctly, the overlay is bright and punchy. Also, when I bring up the Steam overlay it's also dimmed out.

My PS4 Pro's HDR works perfectly - no dimness or washing out present.

My setup:

1080ti
i5-6600 (the non-k version)
16gb DDR3

I have two displays at home, an LG B7 OLED and a Samsung 27" CHG70. Both displays see exactly the same problem. I have used multiple different cables (good quality 2.0, purchased from my local Jaycar) and used both HDMI and display port for the Samsung. In terms of Nvidia colour settings I have tried outputting at 422, 420, 444, (at every available bitrate) and of course, RGB limited and full. I have also updated both the television and monitor to their latest firmware as well as installing the latest drivers for both displays and for my GPU.

If anyone can help me with this issue I would be so so grateful. I've spent a lot of dosh in the name of enjoying HDR and it's really frustrating that it doesn't run properly. Please let me know if there's any further information I can provide...

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 11-17-2019, 04:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Did you ever get this figured out? Am having the same issue - driving me crazy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Gaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page