No surround (PC->TV->AV Receiver) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 02-15-2019, 06:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
No surround (PC->TV->AV Receiver)

Hello guys.
I've recently bought a Samsung 65NU8000 TV.
Due to lack of 4K support on my AV receiver (Pioneer VSX-322) I had to plug
All of my devices (HTPC, PS4, Xiaomi Mi Box) directly to my TV and the AV Receiver
To the TV's ARC. I use the HTPC mostly for gaming and the problem is I can't manage
To play Dolby Digital or DTS with it. The receiver doesn't get the signal, it just plays stereo.
On windows sound properties it does not support DD and DTS formats for some reason.

I can confirm that the TV does passthrough the signal because I don't have this issue
With my PS4 which is plugged in the same configuration. Can anybody help me with this problem ?
My GPU Gigabyte 1070TI and all latest drivers are installed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-19-2019, 09:45 AM

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgold85 View Post
Hello guys.
All of my devices (HTPC, PS4, Xiaomi Mi Box) directly to my TV and the AV Receiver
To the TV's ARC. I use the HTPC mostly for gaming and the problem is I can't manage
To play Dolby Digital or DTS with it. The receiver doesn't get the signal, it just plays stereo.
On windows sound properties it does not support DD and DTS formats for some reason.

I can confirm that the TV does passthrough the signal because I don't have this issue
With my PS4 which is plugged in the same configuration. Can anybody help me with this problem ?
Hi,
Have you tried the Shark 007 Advanced Codecs? I believe these let you bitstream. If the TV can accept that, it may work for you.

Also, kind of obvious, but in the game(s), do you select to use the Home Theater/5.1/7/1 options?
post #3 of 5 Old 04-21-2019, 01:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:
Hello guys.

Windows will not recognize your system as anything other than 2 channel stereo via arc. You will have to run your video and audio independent of each other because of your old avr. GPU hdmi to tv and motherboard hdmi to avr. Or you can connect your GPU to tv with a display port to hdmi adaptor and use your hdmi out of GPU to avr. Just make sure you go through windows sound to identify new options and configure as needed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 04-23-2019, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friendlys View Post
Windows will not recognize your system as anything other than 2 channel stereo via arc. You will have to run your video and audio independent of each other because of your old avr. GPU hdmi to tv and motherboard hdmi to avr. Or you can connect your GPU to tv with a display port to hdmi adaptor and use your hdmi out of GPU to avr. Just make sure you go through windows sound to identify new options and configure as needed.
Thanks for the reply.
I don't have HDMI on my motherboard.
If I plug my TV to GPU via HDMI/DP and via HDMI to avr, how would that solve the problem ?
Update:
MKV files do get recognized by the avr and play as DD/DTS, although windows still recognizes
This setup as 2 channels. My main problem now is with games. Even though I configure 5.1
On a game's settings, it still plays as stereo.
What can cause this ?
post #5 of 5 Old 04-23-2019, 01:50 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friendlys View Post
Thanks for the reply.
I don't have HDMI on my motherboard.
If I plug my TV to GPU via HDMI/DP and via HDMI to avr, how would that solve the problem ?
Update:
MKV files do get recognized by the avr and play as DD/DTS, although windows still recognizes
This setup as 2 channels. My main problem now is with games. Even though I configure 5.1
On a game's settings, it still plays as stereo.
What can cause this ?
Okay, I don't remember you giving any specifics on your motherboard. At one time I used a sound card that connected to my old old motherboard via s/pdf and I connected tv to GPU via hdmi. It was a creative sound blaster x fi sound card that came with software to enable dd/dots. You can google your options. If your alternatives turn out to be expensive, I would suggest buying a cheap avr over a sound card at the same price. This is the digital route I took about 10 years ago.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Gaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page