Can someone plz clarify xbox one x audio for me - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 02-26-2019, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Can someone plz clarify xbox one x audio for me

Hello all, I was wondering if someone out there could please sincerely answer a couple of questions that I have been searching around the internet for days but couldn't seem to get clarification on. I will number each question and would greatly appreciate it if you could answer it in the same fashion.

To provide insight here are the 3 components I am working with. I have the following:

LG Oled B7
Samsung HW-N950
Xbox One X

Here are my questions:
1) can the xbox output dolby true hd and Dts Ma?
2) if so do you only get those specific audio formats more when you're watching UHD movies on the xbox or does it also include xbox one games as well?
3) if I connect my xbox to the tv via hdmi and then from the tv to the n950 soundbar via ARC, will I be able to get 7.1 surround uncompressed?
4) if no then the only option to get 7.1 uncompressed would be to connect the xbox to the soundbar itself?
5) if I do connect the xbox thru tv then soundbar is it true I will only recieve 5.1 DD+?
6) are there currently any xbox games that play dolby true hd or DTS MA audio?
7) games that contain atmos audio ( gears of war 4 or final fantasy xv for example) is it the full blown atmos audio or is it dolby digital + quality?
8) what is the difference between the uncompressed and bit stream options for audio out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-05-2019, 05:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2211 Post(s)
Liked: 2497
Loads of questions but here we go...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daendgame View Post
1) can the xbox output dolby true hd and Dts Ma?
Yes

Quote:
2) if so do you only get those specific audio formats more when you're watching UHD movies on the xbox or does it also include xbox one games as well?
Only during regular and 4K Blu-ray playback

Quote:
3) if I connect my xbox to the tv via hdmi and then from the tv to the n950 soundbar via ARC, will I be able to get 7.1 surround uncompressed?
No, ARC is limited to 5.1 lossy like Dolby Digital and DTS or stereo uncompressed

Quote:
4) if no then the only option to get 7.1 uncompressed would be to connect the xbox to the soundbar itself?
Yes

Quote:
5) if I do connect the xbox thru tv then soundbar is it true I will only recieve 5.1 DD+?
Yes as answered above

Quote:
6) are there currently any xbox games that play dolby true hd or DTS MA audio?
No games output in 5.1/7.1 PCM

Quote:
7) games that contain atmos audio ( gears of war 4 or final fantasy xv for example) is it the full blown atmos audio or is it dolby digital + quality?
It is PCM MAT 2.0 which has the object based layer on top

Quote:
8) what is the difference between the uncompressed and bit stream options for audio out?
Uncompressed is PCM and if you watch a movie with either Dolby or DTS audio, the content is decoded internally by the Xbox. If you bitstream, your external device does the decoding.
post #3 of 6 Old 03-05-2019, 06:08 AM - Thread Starter

I thank you for being able to a swerve my questions for me. If I'm reading your responses correctly it seems that if I'm gaming I'm limited to dolby digital+ at most, and for movie watching I can go up to dolby true hd or dts ma at most? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Also since you mentioned that xbox one games only put out 5.1 audio whether dolby or dts,

1)what would you suggest I have my audio output set to then?

There's the option of 5.1 uncompressed or bit stream w/ dolby or DTS. Remember this is the xbox connected to the n950 soundbar so it can handle those formats.

2) since ff xv has atmos audio, if I change my audio to 7.1 uncompressed will I get the same atmos sound from all speaker channels or will I only be able to get so if it's on bit stream w/ dolby atmos?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 03-05-2019, 06:08 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry for the typo I meant answer not swerve
post #5 of 6 Old 03-05-2019, 06:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2211 Post(s)
Liked: 2497
Quote:
I thank you for being able to a swerve my questions for me. If I'm reading your responses correctly it seems that if I'm gaming I'm limited to dolby digital+ at most, and for movie watching I can go up to dolby true hd or dts ma at most? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Also since you mentioned that xbox one games only put out 5.1 audio whether dolby or dts,

1)what would you suggest I have my audio output set to then?

There's the option of 5.1 uncompressed or bit stream w/ dolby or DTS. Remember this is the xbox connected to the n950 soundbar so it can handle those formats.

2) since ff xv has atmos audio, if I change my audio to 7.1 uncompressed will I get the same atmos sound from all speaker channels or will I only be able to get so if it's on bit stream w/ dolby atmos?
Games are PCM 5.1 and 7.1.

Dolby Digital and DTS is a limitation if you are using ARC.

If the Xbox is connected to the soundbar, which is preferred, set it to Uncompressed then under Blu-ray audio options, enable bitstream.
post #6 of 6 Old 03-05-2019, 06:43 AM - Thread Starter

So to sum it all up this is what I gathered from you.

Audio formats to select:

Non atmos xbox one games -> select 5.1 uncompressed

Atmos xbox one games (I.e. gow4, ffxv, tomb raider ) -> select 7.1 uncompressed or bitstream dolby atmos depending on the source

Watching blu Ray's and 4k uhd movies -> select bitstream w/dolby atmos but choose to let the receiver do the encoding
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Gaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page