Google Announces Stadia Streaming Gaming Platform - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 03-19-2019, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 442 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9171 Post(s)
Liked: 16173
Google Announces Stadia Streaming Gaming Platform

Is the future of gaming console-free? Google thinks so and it has announced a new streaming gaming platform called Stadia that right now can offer up to 4K/60p with HDR and is ready for an 8K future.

https://www.polygon.com/2019/3/19/18...9-announcement

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-03-2019, 03:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I hope they are able to deliver good looking 4k and good sounding Dolby Atmos.
post #3 of 7 Old 04-03-2019, 07:54 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 248 Post(s)
Quoted: 5563 Post(s)
Liked: 5161
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmverduzco View Post
I hope they are able to deliver good looking 4k and good sounding Dolby Atmos.
Atmos? I highly doubt it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 06-06-2019, 10:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked: 2164
$10 per month for Stadia Pro. Or you can just pay per game with Stadia Base.

And they're selling a Founder's Edition with a controller, Chromecast Ultra, 3 months for you and a buddy for $130

https://support.google.com/stadia/answer/9338946
post #5 of 7 Old 06-12-2019, 03:32 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 102
I’d be way more interested in this if my ISP removed the 1TB data cap. Until then…

Not sure how I feel about this. I would have loved a much more streamlined payment system, say $15/month all-access. It’s going to take a lot of convincing for me to still pay $60 per game for this. I don’t mind the $10 per month, but I think the 1080p free option is what I’ll go with. Stereo sound though….ugh.

I need more specs on the controller. Specifically the audio out capabilities. Is it limited to stereo or will it incorporate the latest headphone surround sound from Dolby or DTS? Maybe something proprietary? Since it is wifi direct, can you pair it with a wifi direct headset? Do I need that controller to chat, or can I use an existing controller?

I think it’s a cool concept that will remove some of the user hardware complexities. I’ve spent at least $300 adding more storage to multiple PS4s at my home, also hours spent backing up game data. Not having to do that and not having to keep a console in rest mode is welcoming. Not having to worry about system software updates, game updates, etc. would be nice. Kind of like back in the day when you could just start a game and play it.

I need more details such as joining a party, chat functions, local and online co-op play, etc. Since it is streaming, I would think they could easily implement a try-before-you-buy system, or even a trade-in system where you can exchange your purchase for store credit toward a new game. Give it some advantages over digital download.

Hopefully we’ll get some more details before November.
post #6 of 7 Old 06-17-2019, 08:04 AM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio81 View Post
I’d be way more interested in this if my ISP removed the 1TB data cap. Until then…

Not sure how I feel about this. I would have loved a much more streamlined payment system, say $15/month all-access. It’s going to take a lot of convincing for me to still pay $60 per game for this. I don’t mind the $10 per month, but I think the 1080p free option is what I’ll go with. Stereo sound though….ugh.

I need more specs on the controller. Specifically the audio out capabilities. Is it limited to stereo or will it incorporate the latest headphone surround sound from Dolby or DTS? Maybe something proprietary? Since it is wifi direct, can you pair it with a wifi direct headset? Do I need that controller to chat, or can I use an existing controller?

I think it’s a cool concept that will remove some of the user hardware complexities. I’ve spent at least $300 adding more storage to multiple PS4s at my home, also hours spent backing up game data. Not having to do that and not having to keep a console in rest mode is welcoming. Not having to worry about system software updates, game updates, etc. would be nice. Kind of like back in the day when you could just start a game and play it.

I need more details such as joining a party, chat functions, local and online co-op play, etc. Since it is streaming, I would think they could easily implement a try-before-you-buy system, or even a trade-in system where you can exchange your purchase for store credit toward a new game. Give it some advantages over digital download.

Hopefully we’ll get some more details before November.
Here's the thing, Do you pay for Xbox Live or PSN? Same deal, pay a monthly fee, and then pay for games separately. Plus you are getting some free games like Xbox Live and PSN. So very similar without the high upfront cost needed with a console. That is what Google is banking on. Use any controller you want, stream to a ton of devices, and collect a small fee for 4k capabilities you only get from a gaming PC, Xbox One X, and PS4 Pro.

I am lucky moving this week to a new state and going from Comcast 1TB Cap, to Spectrum with no cap... thankfully.
post #7 of 7 Old 11-06-2019, 08:15 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm not entirely sold on the whole streaming aspect yet for gaming so I'll probably sit back and see how this goes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Gaming

Tags
Google , stadia

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page