XBOX/PS4/Switch Signal Analysis + Optimal XBOX Settings: Color Depth, Space, 4:2:2 - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 63Likes

post #61 of 64 Old 04-13-2020, 04:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgupta View Post
I have to still think it's something to do with how the XBOX is converting the native 8-bit signal to 10-bit vs. how your TV is doing it (which seems like isn't doing as good a job, so the XBOX signal ends up looking smoother). But it is puzzling and doesn't seem to be something everyone experiences.
Yes, I agree with you.
MALICIOUS ONE likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 64 Old 04-29-2020, 03:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi

I have noticed something odd happening to the 4K HDR signal coming from PS4 Pro. It seems to raise black levels and desaturate the colours (I tried all the settings combination), this is clearly noticed after manually forcing PS4 to output 1080p signal, in this mode the HDR image is more vibrant with more saturated colours and blacks are correct.

Good example are games like SW Battlefron 2, or FF7R, the loading screen image when signal switches to HDR changes drastically when in 4K but stays similar to SDR when outputting 1080p. Can anyone test it and see if the it's a universal issue?

Thank you
post #63 of 64 Old 05-01-2020, 11:30 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marek Mazur View Post
Hi

I have noticed something odd happening to the 4K HDR signal coming from PS4 Pro. It seems to raise black levels and desaturate the colours (I tried all the settings combination), this is clearly noticed after manually forcing PS4 to output 1080p signal, in this mode the HDR image is more vibrant with more saturated colours and blacks are correct.

Good example are games like SW Battlefron 2, or FF7R, the loading screen image when signal switches to HDR changes drastically when in 4K but stays similar to SDR when outputting 1080p. Can anyone test it and see if the it's a universal issue?

Thank you
I've played the FF7R demo on the PS4 Pro (as well as other games in HDR) and things looked spectacular and very colorful with nice black levels, so I'm not sure what you're seeing. Are you sure when you switch to 1080p you're seeing HDR and not SDR? I'm wondering if this is specific to the TV you're using, but can't think of why that would be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 64 Old 05-02-2020, 10:34 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marek Mazur View Post
Hi

Thank you
Just as a followup, I tried the FF7 demo in both 1080P and 4K, and my results as far as black levels, colors, etc. were identical to my eyes for HDR regardless of resolution. It's true that when it switches over from the logo (image of Cloud with his sword in front of Midgar structures) in SDR, you can see a difference in both resolutions - for me, the whole image becomes a bit brighter, but if anything more colorful, not less. This is consistent with going from SDR to HDR on my TV and what happens with all games/shows/movies. I can't explain what you're seeing, nor why HDR for 1080P vs. 4K should differ for you since it doesn't for me, but it's gotta be on the TV side of things (or possibly a device like a receiver if it's not being passed through correctly). I can't think it's a cable bandwidth problem as I would expect you wouldn't get an image at all if that were the case. I guess I'd check to make sure your TV isn't going in a different mode when 4K HDR is detected vs. 1080P HDR. You could also rerun the "Adjust HDR" section of the PS4 Settings section and make sure that's all set up properly in 4K (but I would imagine that stays the same regardless of resolutions). Other things to check are settings on the TV such as Deep Color or Black Level, but again, I'm unsure why simply a different resolution would result in different HDR results. At any rate, I hope you get it sorted as to why this is happening.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Gaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page