HTPC - New 4k TV, New Headaches! - Help needed! - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 05-02-2019, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Exclamation HTPC - New 4k TV, New Headaches! - Help needed!

Hello!

I recently couldn't resist and bought a Vizio P Quantum (65") - probably against my better judgment since I have been waiting for a good deal on an LG C8 to replace my Living Room's LG Cinema 60" (Love that TV for movies! <3)

Attached to my old TV I had:
Pioneer Elite SC-71 7.1 Receiver (should support 4k UHD!)
XB1
PS4
and my Media PC (i5, low power, super quiet).

I replaced my media PC with a much more powerful Xeon setup from my old gaming rig, and put a new nVidia GT 1030 that again, should support 4k video no problem.

I hooked up my new TV to my receiver, and I found out that there's lag ... from my Media PC and It only recognizes the Vizio TV as 4k 30Hz.
There's a noticeable lag on the mouse and everything that I do, there's a feeling of lag/stutter when I play 4K content as well.

At this point (And I haven't monkey'd with it much) but It must be either the receiver or the video card not doing a good job. So I don't really feel like replacing either unless I absolutely have to.

The Vizio has enough HDMI inputs, so I was thinking.... would it be possible to just run homeruns from my source devices to my TV and then run the HDMI ARC to my receiver?

Suggestions are welcome!

Max.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-03-2019, 07:25 AM

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Hi Max,
I don't think your AVR will accept 4k/60. I checked the manual for you, found here: https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/S...tions04121.pdf

On page 25, read the About HDMI. It looks like it will accept 4k/24, 4k/25, and 4k/30.
post #3 of 5 Old 05-03-2019, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter

Aww nuts! .... Well, the odd thing is... that I tried plugging my HTPC directly to the TV, it still does not allow anything higher than 4k/30Hz . However, it does then display the option to switch on HDR.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 05-03-2019, 10:35 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Bredfeldt View Post
Aww nuts! .... Well, the odd thing is... that I tried plugging my HTPC directly to the TV, it still does not allow anything higher than 4k/30Hz . However, it does then display the option to switch on HDR.
You need to enable full uhd color under input settings for your tv connected to the PC for 4k @60fps . All hdmi inputs but #5 support hdr btw. I have the pq65 along with a 1080ti. No issue with lag. On a side note just received a new firmware update and this tv is unbelievable now.
post #5 of 5 Old 05-07-2019, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter

Angry

Thank you for that.
I'm coming from an LG Cinema (5 years old) that I think was absolutely incredible. The PQ has been nothing but trouble so far.
I went ahead and replaced the 1030 with a 1660 TI, connected the HTPC directly to the TV, and a lot of the lag is gone, but it's still noticeable.
I've setup the HDR/Input accordingly (also on XB1).
Whenever I have HDR Content on, it's incredibly hazey. Not just 'oh, a bit of haze' but like... literally hard to see, giant screen-wide halos, and it seems like the contrast drops by a lot. On XB1 it's not as bad, however, the reds and purples are eye-piercingly intense, the intense blues and reds seem to have artifacts.
I went ahead and tried replicating the calibration settings from rtings for this panel but honestly... I'm far from impressed. I have my 'old' LG 60LA7400 side to side and HDR aside, the LG blows this out of the water.

I'd really, REALLY appreciate some advice from you here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Gaming

Tags
4k video , hdmi , mhtpc , nvidia gt 1030 , vizio p series quantum

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page