What will HDMI 2.1 offering gaming - wait for it? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By sgupta
  • 1 Post By sgupta
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 07-01-2019, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
checker9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,195
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1530 Post(s)
Liked: 363
What will HDMI 2.1 offering gaming - wait for it?

I am thinking about getting a new TV but worried I should not get one without HDMI 2.1.

What will HDMI 2.1 offer future gaming over 2.0? Should one wait for it?
checker9 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 Old 07-01-2019, 09:48 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Otto Pylot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bull Mountain, OR
Posts: 14,787
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3324 Post(s)
Liked: 2386
Quote:
Originally Posted by checker9 View Post
I am thinking about getting a new TV but worried I should not get one without HDMI 2.1.

What will HDMI 2.1 offer future gaming over 2.0? Should one wait for it?
HDMI 2.1 will offer:

Ultra High Speed HDMI Cable (registered trademark).
Auto Low Latency Mode (ALLM) to automatically set the ideal latency setting.

Enhanced Audio Return Channel (eARC):

Support DTS Master, DTS:X, Dolby True HD, Dolby Atmos and more.
eARC is not defined as to be backwards compatible with ARC.
Compatibility for both is up to the individual device mfrs.

Quick Frame Transport (QFT) for lower latency smoother no-lag gaming.

Quick Media Switching (QMS) for movies and videos.
Variable Refresh Rate (VRR) for gaming.

However, you need to make sure that the device mfr actually lists which HDMI 2.1 hardware options are supported. Some may just say "HDMI 2.1" when in fact all they support is VRR and eARC.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
Otto Pylot is offline  
post #3 of 13 Old 07-01-2019, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
checker9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,195
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1530 Post(s)
Liked: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
HDMI 2.1 will offer:

Ultra High Speed HDMI Cable (registered trademark).
Auto Low Latency Mode (ALLM) to automatically set the ideal latency setting.

Enhanced Audio Return Channel (eARC):

Support DTS Master, DTS:X, Dolby True HD, Dolby Atmos and more.
eARC is not defined as to be backwards compatible with ARC.
Compatibility for both is up to the individual device mfrs.

Quick Frame Transport (QFT) for lower latency smoother no-lag gaming.

Quick Media Switching (QMS) for movies and videos.
Variable Refresh Rate (VRR) for gaming.

However, you need to make sure that the device mfr actually lists which HDMI 2.1 hardware options are supported. Some may just say "HDMI 2.1" when in fact all they support is VRR and eARC.
Thanks. What does it mean for gaming? What could you not do on 2.0 that gaming consoles will offer in near future or offer now?
checker9 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 13 Old 07-01-2019, 11:14 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 588
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by checker9 View Post
I am thinking about getting a new TV but worried I should not get one without HDMI 2.1.

What will HDMI 2.1 offer future gaming over 2.0? Should one wait for it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by checker9 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
HDMI 2.1 will offer:

Ultra High Speed HDMI Cable (registered trademark).
Auto Low Latency Mode (ALLM) to automatically set the ideal latency setting.

Enhanced Audio Return Channel (eARC):
Support DTS Master, DTS:X, Dolby True HD, Dolby Atmos and more.
eARC is not defined as to be backwards compatible with ARC.
Compatibility for both is up to the individual device mfrs.

Quick Frame Transport (QFT) for lower latency smoother no-lag gaming.
Quick Media Switching (QM&#83 for movies and videos.
Variable Refresh Rate (VRR) for gaming.

However, you need to make sure that the device mfr actually lists which HDMI 2.1 hardware options are supported. Some may just say "HDMI 2.1" when in fact all they support is VRR and eARC.
Thanks. What does it mean for gaming? What could you not do on 2.0 that gaming consoles will offer in near future or offer now?
I am speculating but the new consoles coming up will probably include most of the feature sets listed above except in AAA titles 4 @120 fps and 8k @60 fps. Even if somehow the GPU was as powerful as a 2080ti, it would avg. Less than 70 fps in most modern games with all the bells and whistles at 4k. I believe there will be support for these resolutions but there will probably be some type of option of dumbed down graphics that go along with the higher frames. Don't mean to sound like a PC snob...
I personally am not buying another TV until its verified by a reviewer that all hdmi 2.1 items listed above are included in the set. This also goes for a GPU. Currently own a 1080ti and vizio pq65 and play all games at 1080p 120fps.
Friendlys is offline  
post #5 of 13 Old 07-01-2019, 06:52 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Otto Pylot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bull Mountain, OR
Posts: 14,787
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3324 Post(s)
Liked: 2386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friendlys View Post
I am speculating but the new consoles coming up will probably include most of the feature sets listed above except in AAA titles 4 @120 fps and 8k @60 fps. Even if somehow the GPU was as powerful as a 2080ti, it would avg. Less than 70 fps in most modern games with all the bells and whistles at 4k. I believe there will be support for these resolutions but there will probably be some type of option of dumbed down graphics that go along with the higher frames. Don't mean to sound like a PC snob...
I personally am not buying another TV until its verified by a reviewer that all hdmi 2.1 items listed above are included in the set. This also goes for a GPU. Currently own a 1080ti and vizio pq65 and play all games at 1080p 120fps.
Your post is all mangled up so it's hard to read. Not your fault. This has been happening with some posts, usually browser related or if you are posting from a mobile device. AVS is aware of it but the platform gurus have been slow to resolve the issue.

I have no interest in HDMI 2.1 because I'm not a gamer and 8k is still far in the future (at least as far as affordability). But as I have stated, finding out which devices will be fully HDMI 2.1 compliant, and actually lists the options which have been verified, it's gonna get ugly, especially if you have devices that don't have all of the same options enabled or verified.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
Otto Pylot is offline  
post #6 of 13 Old 07-01-2019, 06:57 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Otto Pylot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bull Mountain, OR
Posts: 14,787
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3324 Post(s)
Liked: 2386
Quote:
Originally Posted by checker9 View Post
Thanks. What does it mean for gaming? What could you not do on 2.0 that gaming consoles will offer in near future or offer now?
HDMI 2.1 Specification has added the following new features for video gaming and media playback:

Auto Low-Latency Mode (ALLM)
Variable Refresh Rate (VRR)
Quick Frame Transport (QFT)
Quick Media Switching (QMS)

Adding ALLM to VRR and QFT is encouraged for the best gaming experience.

Your gaming box will take care of these choices for you. If you are streaming video or playing a BluRay, it would only enable QMS; if you fire up a game, it would enable ALLM, VRR, and QFT, depending on what your system supports.

HDMI 2.0 does not have those features.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
Otto Pylot is offline  
post #7 of 13 Old 07-10-2019, 02:05 PM
Member
 
Tygeezy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 102
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
HDMI 2.1 Specification has added the following new features for video gaming and media playback:

Auto Low-Latency Mode (ALLM)
Variable Refresh Rate (VRR)
Quick Frame Transport (QFT)
Quick Media Switching (QMS)

Adding ALLM to VRR and QFT is encouraged for the best gaming experience.

Your gaming box will take care of these choices for you. If you are streaming video or playing a BluRay, it would only enable QMS; if you fire up a game, it would enable ALLM, VRR, and QFT, depending on what your system supports.

HDMI 2.0 does not have those features.
He can get a Samsung TV though and use an AMD graphics card in his computer and get freesync. It is what I have done to get freesync and hdr.
Tygeezy is offline  
post #8 of 13 Old 07-10-2019, 02:31 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Otto Pylot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bull Mountain, OR
Posts: 14,787
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3324 Post(s)
Liked: 2386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tygeezy View Post
He can get a Samsung TV though and use an AMD graphics card in his computer and get freesync. It is what I have done to get freesync and hdr.
True, but that wasn't his question. He wanted to know what HDMI 2.1 will offer over HDMI 2.0 as far as gaming goes.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
Otto Pylot is offline  
post #9 of 13 Old 07-10-2019, 06:03 PM
Member
 
Tygeezy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 102
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
True, but that wasn't his question. He wanted to know what HDMI 2.1 will offer over HDMI 2.0 as far as gaming goes.

I think VRR is optional and not a requirement with 2.1.
Tygeezy is offline  
post #10 of 13 Old 07-10-2019, 07:51 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Otto Pylot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bull Mountain, OR
Posts: 14,787
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3324 Post(s)
Liked: 2386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tygeezy View Post
I think VRR is optional and not a requirement with 2.1.

VRR is part of the HDMI 2.1 hardware specifications. Only some of the 2018 Samsung tv's have VRR, which can be implemented on the HDMI 2.0 chipsets if the mfr decided to do so.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
Otto Pylot is offline  
post #11 of 13 Old 07-10-2019, 08:15 PM
Advanced Member
 
sgupta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 804
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 161
My personal opinion about 2.1? A lot of the tech is very cool and will be great, eventually. But it's also very new and a long way from being fully mature.

VRR is pretty nice, as is eARC (which is available for some TV's even if they aren't fully 2.1), and it'll definitely be great for things like 8K. But all of these things have caveats, including needing a receiver to also be compatible to run things through it, early implementation bugs (VRR had issues with certain games at first; not sure if that's still the case, etc.), and unforseen compatibility issues with future implementations.

Personally, as someone who was an early adopter of 4K and had quite a few problems with my first 4K TV (HDCP handshake issues, audio sync issues, certain framerates in certain resolutions not being supported that only became an issue once more content became available, etc.), this time I got a nice, mature 2.0 4K set, and I'm greatly enjoying it without many issues at all. While I did enjoy that first TV, this experience is much smoother. The next time I upgrade will likely be when 2.1 and 8K are somewhat matured, VRR is in wide use, etc. as I'll need to upgrade receiver and TV, but that's a ways off. (Hopefully some new techs like Micro-LED offering the best of both LCD and OLED combined will be available too).

Just my two cents. If you don't mind being an early adopter guinea pig, there's nothing wrong with that, but I would advise against expecting to get an early 2.1 set now and expecting it to do everything well down the road when 2.1 features really take off and are widely available. So I'd probably get something mature now, possibly with a few 2.1 features you want (eARC for example), and enjoy it. OR, if you really do want to wait, I'd put off upgrading for a year or so until things get a bit more mature/finalized/in wider use, then reevaluate then.

Good luck!
Tygeezy likes this.
sgupta is offline  
post #12 of 13 Old 07-11-2019, 04:10 PM
Member
 
Tygeezy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 102
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgupta View Post
My personal opinion about 2.1? A lot of the tech is very cool and will be great, eventually. But it's also very new and a long way from being fully mature.



VRR is pretty nice, as is eARC (which is available for some TV's even if they aren't fully 2.1), and it'll definitely be great for things like 8K. But all of these things have caveats, including needing a receiver to also be compatible to run things through it, early implementation bugs (VRR had issues with certain games at first; not sure if that's still the case, etc.), and unforseen compatibility issues with future implementations.



Personally, as someone who was an early adopter of 4K and had quite a few problems with my first 4K TV (HDCP handshake issues, audio sync issues, certain framerates in certain resolutions not being supported that only became an issue once more content became available, etc.), this time I got a nice, mature 2.0 4K set, and I'm greatly enjoying it without many issues at all. While I did enjoy that first TV, this experience is much smoother. The next time I upgrade will likely be when 2.1 and 8K are somewhat matured, VRR is in wide use, etc. as I'll need to upgrade receiver and TV, but that's a ways off. (Hopefully some new techs like Micro-LED offering the best of both LCD and OLED combined will be available too).



Just my two cents. If you don't mind being an early adopter guinea pig, there's nothing wrong with that, but I would advise against expecting to get an early 2.1 set now and expecting it to do everything well down the road when 2.1 features really take off and are widely available. So I'd probably get something mature now, possibly with a few 2.1 features you want (eARC for example), and enjoy it. OR, if you really do want to wait, I'd put off upgrading for a year or so until things get a bit more mature/finalized/in wider use, then reevaluate then.



Good luck!

On the pc side (Freesync, vrr) has worked with every single game I have tried with it. I think the only issues have been with Xbox and possibly rendering games at too low a framerate to not be in the freesync range and the tv or monitor not supporting low framerate compensation.
Tygeezy is offline  
post #13 of 13 Old 07-11-2019, 08:26 PM
Advanced Member
 
sgupta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 804
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tygeezy View Post
On the pc side (Freesync, vrr) has worked with every single game I have tried with it. I think the only issues have been with Xbox and possibly rendering games at too low a framerate to not be in the freesync range and the tv or monitor not supporting low framerate compensation.
Very possible. I remember watching a video (I believe DigitalFoundry) testing some (XBOX titles I think) and having a few issues with certain games performing worse with VRR on. But that was quite a while ago. It may very well have improved a lot since then.
Tygeezy likes this.
sgupta is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Home Theater Gaming

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off