Component to HDMI converter or component to HDMI converter upscaler for my PS2? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 10-13-2019, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Component to HDMI converter or component to HDMI converter upscaler for my PS2?

I recently just bought a Samsung Q60R 43 inch 4K UHDTV. I remembered I still have my PS2 and now I want to play some of my favorite PS2 games. But my samsung 4K tv has no component inputs. So I bought this Easycel Component to HDMI Converter from amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 so I can hook my PS2 up to the tv. The picture looks okay for what the ps2 outputs and I'm not expecting it to be 4K. The Easycel component to HDMI only converts the video signal, there is no upscaling. I adjusted the ps2's aspect ratio to 4:3 and I set my tv to the same aspect ratio. I set both the tv and ps2 like that becuase when I had both set to widescreen 16:9, the picture looked stretched. But when on 4:3 the picture seemed squished in from the sides, not quite square. The question I'm asking is should I return the converter I just bought and get one with upscaling like this one EASYCEL Component to HDMI Scaler Converter with Scaler Function https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07T29D4RY...v_ov_lig_dp_it Or will I get the same result with the aspect ratio. I know there are better things out there, but I'm on a budget. I could use any advice on these devices, thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-15-2019, 05:17 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I would stick with the converter you currently own and avoid the version with the scaling function. The reason is that the version with the scaling function most likely introduces quite a bit of processing and lag to the signal, and will not handle PSOne games or 240p PS2 games properly. It will treat these 240p signals as interlaced, rather than as progressive, and try to apply deinterlacing to a signal that doesn't need it. For 480i games, it will probably add too much processing, smear the image, and cause a lot of input lag.

More than likely your Samsung's Game Mode will default to a bob deinterlacer that approximates the interlaced look of those games on a CRT television and look just fine.
I'm not terribly familiar with Samsung's Picture Size settings; the PS2's internal setting shouldn't dictate how the Samsung or any TV is handling the aspect ratio; the TV only sees it as 480x720 and relies on your input to adjust the aspect ratio. I think it's kind of weird that is seems to be squished when both are set to 4:3... have you tried your Samsung's Custom Picture Size, or is that unavailable in Game Mode? My inclination is to guess that the EASYCEL Converter is perhaps causing some squeezing to happen to the aspect ratio, but I don't have any hands on experience to give you decent advice on that.

I understand you are on a budget and respect that; one of those inexpensive PS2 to HDMI dongles should only convert the analog video to digital if you would like to give one a try, but the quality of the hardware itself is hit or miss. There's also the forthcoming RAD2x cables and the RetroTINK 2x, but they may be outside of your budget. I hope this is able to help you!
post #3 of 4 Old 10-18-2019, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
After posting I started thinking I will wait and save to get something better like the RetroTink. I've heard some great things about it. Thank you for explaining, very helpful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 11-05-2019, 07:50 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 61
You mind not find this helpful at all but hey...

I've found the best way to make PS2 games look good on a modern TVs is to ditch the PS2 altogether and instead run your ps2 games in an emulator on a PC, the emulator software is called PCSX2. There are all sorts of optimizations and improvements to the image quality that the emulator can do by leveraging the graphics power of your PC. Even if your PC is old and slow and has onboard graphics it is still orders of magnitude more powerful than an original PS2.

Source: Gaming/HT PC, i7 3770K, 16GB DDR3 2400Mhz, 2x GTX 980Ti SLI, MPC-HCx64 w/ MadVR & SVP frame interpolation
Display: Panasonic VT30 55" Plasma ::: Receiver: Denon AVR-1910
5.1 Speakers: Behringer B215XLs
Subwoofers: 4x SI HT18 D4 open baffle powered by iNuke NU4-6000 (1 driver per channel at 2ohm)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Gaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page