LG OLED B9, AVR, ATMOS and VRR Conundrum - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 04-06-2020, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question LG OLED B9, AVR, ATMOS and VRR Conundrum

Hello everybody,

Firstly, thanks for looking at this post. I have done a whole lot of research into what may or may not be compatible and I am about to make a purchase, but I would like to present my conclusions and see if you see any flaws in my findings, or could suggest better alternatives for the long run.

My goal is to have a wonderful OLED screen and Atmos surround sound on my PC.

I intend buying the LG OLED 55B9 because it has been confirmed to have [email protected], VRR and HDR, so I can't see any benefit for me to go for the C9 over this
As for AVR, I'm leaning towards the Sony STR-DN1080 because a recent firmware update gave it eARC capabilities. Otherwise, the Onkyo TXNR696 looks like a winner.

I'm aware AVRs cannot pass through HDMI 2.1, nor pass through VRR at the moment. My GPU is a GTX1080, so for the time being I'm aiming for [email protected] with VRR, which it should manage (on some games...), with a view to getting a 3000 series in the future, expecting them to use HDMI 2.1.

My plan was to connect PC - TV via HDMI to enjoy VRR, and then use eARC to connect the LG B9 to the Sony AVR to get Atmos surround sound, however, I've read some posts saying the B9 wont pass through Atmos signals like this. Can anyone confirm?

My GTX 1080 only has 1 HDMI port. I've done some more reading and understand I might be able to use the 1080's sole HDMI port to connect to the LG B9 for [email protected] VRR, and then use a passive DP1.4 to HDMI adapter on one of the GPU's displayports to send Atmos sound signal to the AVR, as the passive adapter will trigger the GPU sending HDMI format signals via the Display Port.

If the passive adapter part is true, as a side question; should I spend a little more and get the THX Certified Onkyo 696, as I won't need eARC support.

The backup plan would be to use a displayport-HDMI adapter to plug the TV into the graphics card, anticipating I'll lose VRR (I dont have it at the moment so can't miss it, it will just be another thing to look forward to on a new graphics card) and use the HDMI port to pass Atmos audio to the AVR?

Can anyone verify/correct me if I'm wrong before I spend a whole chunk of money?

Thanks for reading and I'll really appreciate any replies.

Edd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Gaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page