Old School n00b help set up PS4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 04-10-2020, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Old School n00b help set up PS4

Hello,

Since I am stuck inside for the near future I decided to pick gaming back up. Bought a PS4 and a 4k TV. I am trying to figure out the best way to hook the PS4 up.

Here is what I am working with:

TV: Vizio m501-a2r (current), TCL 55r625 (new)

Receiver: Yamaha RX-V375

Speakers: 2.1 system

Is there a way to hook up the PS4 directly to the TV via HDMI then run HDMI from the TV to the AV for sound or must it be done with an optical out from the PS4 to the AV?

I currently run my HTPC and my Blu-Ray player into the AV and then run an HDMI out from the AV to the TV and everything works perfectly, however I do not want to run the PS4 through the AV so I can have HDR and no additional lag.

Thanks for the help as I am a little rusty since I haven't messed with this stuff since about 2013.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 04-11-2020, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
So got the PS4 Slim and it has no digital optical out, so that option is gone.

I think the solution revolves around buying a new AV receiver. I am looking at the Yamaha RX-V385

Am I correct in that I can run the PS4 in the following two ways with this receiver and the TCL 55r625 TV?

The first way would be to run the PS4 through the RX-V385 since it has 4k with HDR10 passthrough to the TV via HDMI.

The second is to run the PS4 directly to the TV via HDMI and then use the ARC HDMI from the TV to the ARC HDMI on the receiver.

My current Vizio tv has an ARC HDMI but my current receiver does not, which explains why I cannot hook a component directly to the tv and get audio correct?

If I am not understanding ARC correctly please let me know as this is based off what I can find on the interwebs.

Finally, between those two options what is better? The con I have read with the first way is increased lag, the second with possible lip syncing issues.

Thank you for any replies as I fully understand that these questions should have happened years ago, but my system has been working fine until now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Gaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page