AVS Forum banner

Marantz 4001, Roku TV, PS4 Pro & Xbox how to connect??

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  The_Nephilim1 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

I have a bit of a dilemma I am trying to clear up. Now I know the best thing to do would be is get a new Reciever but for noe I am going to try and see if I can get this setup working together..

The Marantz AVR is from like 2006, but we have a new Roku TV TCL 4k and a PS4 Pro and a Xbox one..

Now I hooked it all to the receiver but now the 4K HDR Does not kick in because of the old reciever.. so I was thinking hook all the devices back to the TV like it was before and use the Optical Sound connetor to get the sound from the TV,XBox and PS$ to the receiver..

The TV Has ARC but the receiver does not.. so I thought If I use the optical it should still work to get the sound from all the devices through the TV to the AVR??

If this is wrong how can I hook up all thesse devices and still get the 4K Picture with XBox and PS4, I am not worried if I need to Downgrade the sound to a lesser DD or whatever the optical connector uses..

I do have a passthrough HDMI in the receiver settings but would it pass a 4K Signal?? well I really need help with this dilemma..

I Apprecitate any help here and last resort is to get a new reciever but I want to avoid that for now.. Please can we make it work with what I have available..

See less See more
#2 ·
Well I gave it a few days and no responces, I know this is a stupid question but I never owned an LCD TV in my Home Theater always used Projectors, so I never ran into this issue until now..

I am thinking it will pass the sound from the PS4, xBox through the optical cable but was unsure and instead of wasting my time and money to go get a optical cable I figured this was an easy answer Either nobody knows or not willing to answer my stupid quesstion.

Well I am sorry but I thought there was only silly answers.. Still hopefull..

Thank you
Nephilim'

#3 ·
Hi,
I have a similar setup, AVR is non 4K (Marantz SR5008). Just hook everything up to the TV with 4k hdmi cables, make sure each video input on TCL is set to 2.0 instead of 1.4.
And send the optical cables back to the AVR. This way you will the correct picture output, and 5.1 sound.

Hope this helps

Paddy

#4 ·
Well I found out the other day what was needed to get this working.. I did run the HDMI cables to the HDTV. I am not sure what you mean my TLC setting it too 2.0 vs 1.4??

I did hook the Optical from the receiver to the TV which was wrong. I should have ran optical from the consoles to the Receiver.. I am unsure if the PS4 he has have an optical connector on it..

I am waiting to here back from him on that.. but thanks for the responce but the best solution would have been to get a newer reciever..

#5 ·
1.4 vs 2.0 : Just make sure your HDMI cables are HDMI2.0 compliant and go from your Xbox One (has an HDMI2.0 port), PS4 (has an HDMI2.0 port) and the Roku (4k requires 2.0) to the TV and that the TV HDMI ports you are plugging into are also 2.0. Make sure the Roku setting is set to 4k.
Essentially, every step in the chain must be HDMI2.0 or the entire chain breaks down to 1080p because that's the best the weakest link can do.
No 4k with HDMI 1.4.

In regards to running your equipment once the newest Xbox Series X and the PS5 comes out. Be aware the Series X will NOT have a TOSLINK port (digital optical audio) and also will NOT have an HDMI in port. Microsoft did away with it because ATMOS and DTS:X can't run on the lower bandwidth of the TOSLINK technology. It requires HDMI and they decided to save money since not a lot of people are using TOSLINK.

So, what does this mean for you? If your TV has 3 HDMI2.0 ports or better then you are all set without buying a new receiver as long as you don't care about the newest audio formats. You can still get dolby digital and DTS via TOSLINK so you're good.
Run your devices to your tv and then the tv to the receiver for audio.

Eventually though, you'll want to upgrade that receiver. My recommendation? If you can make your current setup work with the series X for now, just do that. Wait until the 2021 lineup of receivers are out.
4k/120hz or 8k content is very far and few between. It's mainly for gaming right now and other than a REALLY awesome computer, only the new Xbox and ps5 are capable. Even then they are mainly going to be 4k/60hz for a while.
The receivers that are coming out over the next couple months are the first receivers on the market that do 120hz with HDMI 2.1 ports. As such they generally only have one port instead of multiple so if you want both PS5 and Xbox Series X, you'll have to choose which one gets the good stuff.
Just wait until 2021 models after the companies have realized people want at least two HDMI 2.1 ports and offer receivers to match.
Denon for example. I would be very surprised if the AVR-X1800 year 2021 model doesn't have 2 ports. (Assuming that will be the model name based on current model schemes)
The new 2020 model year Denons have only 1 and people are already wondering why.

Sorry for the ramble if any of this isn't clear. I just went through these issues and figured I could help, but I'm at work after a night of insomnia :)

#6 ·
OK I am back with this as I found out what to connect and how. What we ended up doing is hookup the HDMI to the Roku TV and PS4, Xbox. I hooked the optical from the TV to the Receiver and ran it in Dolby digital in the TV and PS4.

Now that gave us 5.1 in games and movies on the TV. But I ran into a snag after having it hooked up what started to happen is the sound cuts off and on when gaming on the PS4, watching a movie in Roku like on netflix it works fine no cutouts Only while gaming with the PS4..

I am unsure what is causing the cutouts on the PS4? does anybody have any idea what would cause that in the optical connector? IT was all working fine for a few days just all of a sudden it started happening.. I checked loose connection and for overheating devices of which none of that was the issue.. I besides thinking a setting has been changed as too why the sound would cut out like that..

The Red letters dolby digital stay lit the entire time on the receiver, so it is not switching to DTS or similar

#7 ·
Well having googled it might be either a settings issue or the fact it does not like going from the PS4 to the TV Back to the Reciever.. I think the best bet would be to setup an optical cable from the PS4 directly to the Reciever.. that should eliminate the conflict..

Thank you for letting me think aloud..hehe!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.