looking for a tv that will be good for the ps5 and pc gaming need advice - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 06-17-2020, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 3
looking for a tv that will be good for the ps5 and pc gaming need advice

Hey everyone,

So I'm forvever seeking my first 4k tv or monitor and I can't seem to make up my mind about what I need or what I want. Is there a tv on the market right now that supports 4k and flawless 60 fps gaming that's not over 1000 dollars? I want something where at most I can game at 60fps 4k for pc games without problems like screen tearing. Do I NEED a 120hz monitor for this if I just care about 60fps? Someone was telling me I would want to go 120hz. idk how that really works. I was thinking going oled but paying 1,5000 bucks for something that might get burn-in in 4 years seems a bit risky. Should I cave in and just buy the 48 inch lg oled cx? or should I wait? I kinda wanna get something soon.

I may not need the absolute best but I obviously want something that's good. I'm tempted to do the lg cx I just can't decide if it's a good decision. I really can't do bigger than like 48 49 inches. I'm also just thinking of maybe getting a tv that will take advantage of what the ps5 is actually going to do and buy a pc monitor later on. Not sure if that should mean shelving out over 1000 bucks.

I'm not a competitive gamer so I may not necessarily need something as low as 1ms of input lag but low input lag is definitely an important factor as I do play first person shooters and fighters online although becoming a pro gamer is the last of my goals right now. I can't decide if freesync gsync and vrr are going to be things I really need. Ideally I want a monitor that can do everything.

My first goal right now is to at least buy a tv that will take advantage of the ps5. Don't care for 8k and I am also even skeptical that the ps5 would even take advantage of 120fps 4k gaming.

Also wondering how important hdmi 2.1 will really be?

I know asus makes 43 inch gaming monitors so I was thinking that as well. If anyone can help me figure this out I would truly appreciate it. I've looked at rtings but one youtuber was criticizing them for not being very reliable so idk what to think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-06-2020, 06:10 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by tybittz k View Post
Hey everyone,

So I'm forvever seeking my first 4k tv or monitor and I can't seem to make up my mind about what I need or what I want. Is there a tv on the market right now that supports 4k and flawless 60 fps gaming that's not over 1000 dollars? I want something where at most I can game at 60fps 4k for pc games without problems like screen tearing. Do I NEED a 120hz monitor for this if I just care about 60fps? Someone was telling me I would want to go 120hz. idk how that really works. I was thinking going oled but paying 1,5000 bucks for something that might get burn-in in 4 years seems a bit risky. Should I cave in and just buy the 48 inch lg oled cx? or should I wait? I kinda wanna get something soon.

I may not need the absolute best but I obviously want something that's good. I'm tempted to do the lg cx I just can't decide if it's a good decision. I really can't do bigger than like 48 49 inches. I'm also just thinking of maybe getting a tv that will take advantage of what the ps5 is actually going to do and buy a pc monitor later on. Not sure if that should mean shelving out over 1000 bucks.

I'm not a competitive gamer so I may not necessarily need something as low as 1ms of input lag but low input lag is definitely an important factor as I do play first person shooters and fighters online although becoming a pro gamer is the last of my goals right now. I can't decide if freesync gsync and vrr are going to be things I really need. Ideally I want a monitor that can do everything.

My first goal right now is to at least buy a tv that will take advantage of the ps5. Don't care for 8k and I am also even skeptical that the ps5 would even take advantage of 120fps 4k gaming.

Also wondering how important hdmi 2.1 will really be?

I know asus makes 43 inch gaming monitors so I was thinking that as well. If anyone can help me figure this out I would truly appreciate it. I've looked at rtings but one youtuber was criticizing them for not being very reliable so idk what to think.
Here is what you actually need:
* 120hz.
* Good response times
* Good contrast

These specifications are covered by the Samsung Q70T, HOWEVER the 120hz panel is available for 55 inches and above. Whatever you do, do not buy TV below 55 inches because they are 60hz panels with bad response times which will result in blurry motion.

Here is the offer on amazon, it is 790$ only - a great value for the price !
https://www.amazon.com/SAMSUNG-55-in...0&sr=8-14&th=1
post #3 of 4 Old 07-10-2020, 07:00 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Bad news but most PS5 games will still be limited to mostly 30fps and some 60fps. It's not likely any will be above 60fps. So much misinformation and marketing out there causing a flurry of confusion. Gamers actually believe the PS5 will be a 4k/120 console and buy a TV for that purpose. Ubisoft has already been exposed as limiting their PS5 support to 30fps as well as the Miles Morales Spider-man launch title. It's not looking good for the expectations of next gen gaming vs the reality. Xbox Series X and PC are more likely to deliver the goods but Sony has the exclusives so it's going to be a difficult decision for gamers wanting cutting edge gaming. I personally will get the Vizio Quantum X 85" and use the two HDMI 2.1 ports for the Xbox Series X and the PC while the PS5 will get all the gaming benefits found at 4K/60 on the other ports using plain ole HDMI 2.0.

Another marketing scam going around is the audio. TV's are dropping DTS:X passthru via earc where Xbox and PC will be supporting the format as well as all AVR's. Things are not jiving with the existing equipment capabilities, the specs and the marketing.

However, if one were to limited their gaming experience to the dime dozen online shooters looking for 120fps then it's possible games may offer that option as a reduced resolution to something like 1080p or 1440p. I can't see investing in new hardware for that but hey, it's your money and time wasted running, gunning, dying rinse repeat..

The 48" LG OLED is an ideal compromise in size and features and if size is a limiting factor then most of the other things I mentioned likely have no relevance.

Last edited by wookiegr; 07-10-2020 at 07:07 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 07-13-2020, 12:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 3
LG C9

My dream TV to replace my Plasma
55inch about 6K, but stocks are getting lower.
Cheapest 65 inch OLED is the B9

Seems like reviews say oled TV not so good for very bright rooms, example showroom. Other than that even the B9 can outperform the latest Qleds.

"In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big." (Rush - Caravan)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Gaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page