Can I use a 1080p AVR with an Xbox one s and 4K tv - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By stinkyonion
  • 1 Post By MrBobb

post #1 of 8 Old 06-21-2020, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Can I use a 1080p AVR with an Xbox one s and 4K tv

I’m wondering if I can use my old Denon av 590 for 5.1 surround sound without losing 4K and HDR from my Xbox one s.

Would I run an optical cable from the Xbox to the avr, and hdmi cable from Xbox to tv? Is that basically all I need to do?

What about to be able to use surround sound for the tv apps? Just run an optical cable from the tv to avr?

I’m planning on getting a new 4K+HDR capable AVR when I can. I’d like to eventually set up a 5.1.2 Dolby Atmos surround system. Or maybe 7.1.2 if my room is big enough (not sure that it is). What would I be losing for now by not having a 4K capable receiver? I have a PS4 (regular, not pro) and Xbox one S hooked up to the tv. I watch my cable tv through an app on the Xbox.

This is the receiver I have:
https://www.cnet.com/products/denon-avr-590/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-24-2020, 02:57 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 32
You can definitely ouput only the sound to the avr by optical and the picture direct to the tv via hdmi. But probably this only gives you a single source without moving cables around. A hdmi switcher with separate audio out (make sure it has hdcp 2.2 for 4k picture) is available on amazon for under $100. Run its hdmi out to tv and sound to avr. Then you can have xbox, ps4, cable box all work without moving any cables.

If your receiver has earc then you can get the sound from tv to receiver via hdmi.

Upgrading from 5.1.2 to 7.1.2 is a trivial change. The usual upgrade path in order of importance is 5.1 -> 5.2 -> 5.2.2 -> 5.2.4 -> 7.2.4. A quality sub makes all the difference, make sure it is from “the list” on subwoofer101.com or will just give you a headache. The good subs are not noticeable most of the time, blend in subtly, then rock your world with fidelity when needed. Was a gamechanger for my theater previously with expensive 10 year old subs that provided one note headache inducing bass.
BillsFan4 likes this.
post #3 of 8 Old 06-27-2020, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkyonion View Post
You can definitely ouput only the sound to the avr by optical and the picture direct to the tv via hdmi. But probably this only gives you a single source without moving cables around. A hdmi switcher with separate audio out (make sure it has hdcp 2.2 for 4k picture) is available on amazon for under $100. Run its hdmi out to tv and sound to avr. Then you can have xbox, ps4, cable box all work without moving any cables.

If your receiver has earc then you can get the sound from tv to receiver via hdmi.

Upgrading from 5.1.2 to 7.1.2 is a trivial change. The usual upgrade path in order of importance is 5.1 -> 5.2 -> 5.2.2 -> 5.2.4 -> 7.2.4. A quality sub makes all the difference, make sure it is from “the list” on subwoofer101.com or will just give you a headache. The good subs are not noticeable most of the time, blend in subtly, then rock your world with fidelity when needed. Was a gamechanger for my theater previously with expensive 10 year old subs that provided one note headache inducing bass.
Hey thanks! Yeah I ended up ordering 2 opticsl audio cables (my receiver only has 2 optical audio inputs) and have my TV (I watch stuff with apps on the tv or on my Xbox) and Xbox one S both getting 5.1 surround now. I have to switch back to my tv speakers for PS4 though.

Another question: instead of buying an HDMI switch, can I just hook the PS4 to the receiver with an HDMI cable, then hook the AVR to the TV with an HDMI cable? It’s just a regular PS4, not a pro. So I think it’s only in 1080p anyway, right? So would I be losing anything by using the HDMI cables to hook it up? I wouldn’t lose 4K video on my Xbox would I?

And thanks for the subwoofer site recommendations. I already bookmarked the page. I actually think that will be my next upgrade. I forgot how crappy my current subwoofer is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 06-27-2020, 02:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Basically as long as you are not outputting 4K you can go through the AVR, 4K, must bypass it.

Typical big screen TV have multiple HDMI inputs, so just use the TV as the video switcher. Separate Switcher box only needed if you run out of HDMI inputs.
BillsFan4 likes this.
post #5 of 8 Old 06-28-2020, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, so I hooked up my PS4 with an HDMI cable and I do lose video quality. I didn’t realize that the PS4 slim has HDR. When I connect through my receiver it turns HDR off and when I try to turn it on it says “your TV does not support this feature”.

Seeing as my receiver only has 2 optical outputs and they’re both in use, is there any way for me to get surround sound on my PS4 without losing HDR? What would I need, an optical audio splitter (do they make them? Looks like it with a quick google search).

If I use a splitter, would I just leave my AVR on the same input for both the PS4 and Xbox (if I used the splitter to connect both to the AVR), then just change the input on my TV (Xbox is in #3 , PS4 in #2 hdmi slot) and I’d have sound for both? (sorry if this is a stupid question. I feel like it probably is...lol).

Edit - actually I’d need an optical audio switch, not a splitter right?

Last edited by BillsFan4; 06-28-2020 at 11:36 AM.
post #6 of 8 Old 06-28-2020, 01:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Not familiar with what you are asking, but if a simple PASSIVE toslink gadget exists, can use, as long as only one of the two devices connected to it powered at a time. A switch would be better but that's an hassle to get up every time to change the dang thing right. On the Denon, the COAX CBL connector can be used as a third digital input, as long as it is a separate input and not tied to the other 2 toslinks, all you need would be a cheap Toslink-to-Digital Coax converter.

Last edited by MrBobb; 06-28-2020 at 01:29 PM.
post #7 of 8 Old 06-28-2020, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter

https://www.amazon.com/eSynic-Switch...df_B074W8DG3P/

I was talking about something like this ^ (it actually comes with a remote to switch optical inputs)

I had actually ordered it a few hours ago. But just now I switched over from watching a Netflix movie (using the Netflix app on the tv) to my PS4 and I somehow have 5.1 surround on my PS4 now.

How did that happen? My PS4 isn’t even hooked up to my av receiver. It’s hooked up to the TV with an HDMI cable, and the TV is hooked up to the AVR with an optical audio cable. (Xbox is also booked up to AVR with an optical cable, which I’m now wondering if I even needed...).

I’m hoping I am able to get 5.1 surround next time I use my PlayStation. I know it’s capable now. If it’s doing it now it has to be capable of doing it consistently. I’ll just have to figure out what setting is enabled that’s allowing it to work right now. Because yesterday I could not get my audio system to work at all with the PS4. There was no sound. I had to switch back to my tv speakers to get sound.
post #8 of 8 Old 06-29-2020, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

So the PS4 gets surround sound. I just have to set the input on my avr to TV. I think the reason it wasn’t getting surround sound when tested it is because I also had the Xbox on and that was getting the surround sound signal from the TV (I had turned the Xbox on first).

On a different subject, I ordered a new subwoofer today! I got an SVS pb12-NSD. It was an open box sub, but I bought it from an authorized SVS retailer and it comes with the full 5 year factory warranty (I checked) and I got it for $399! They only had 1 left and I felt it was too good a deal to pass up. I’ve never heard any SVS sub before but from what I’ve read I’m pretty darn sure I’ll be happy with it. Especially coming from the very cheap 8” Boston acoustics sub I have now. I’m excited! This will be the first “real” home theater subwoofer I’ve ever owned.

Last edited by BillsFan4; 06-29-2020 at 01:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Gaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page