Viewing Review: Overall, a great player considering the age. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Overall, a great player considering the age. Edit
by bimmerfreak0 Combined Rating: 3.6
Well...the time has come. I've had the Sony BDP-S550 for a few years now. This unit has served me well over the years as a standalone unit...but users be warned. It is a blu-ray player. All these...
Pros Cons
  • Gold plated ports, 7.1 analogue audio out, Decodes HD Audio, Backlight remote
  • The media player is a joke, no streaming, loading movies with BD-Java can be time consuming.
Well...the time has come. I've had the Sony BDP-S550 for a few years now. This unit has served me well over the years as a standalone unit...but users be warned. It is a blu-ray player. All these extra features touted by Sony on this unit are worthless. My tv and HTPC already can view pictures and videos of many codecs...so anyone looking to buy this unit (used obviously) should not be looking for anything other than disc playback.

Disc playback:

Load times are heavily dependent on the style of the movie. If no Java is used on the disc, navigation is snappy. If Java is used on the disc (i.e. Surf's Up), menu response and loading times are significantly longer.

Options abound on this unit for video output (deep color, independent contrast, brightness and color). Audio output is slightly more limited in HDMI mode....PCM or "Auto". There is no separation of PCM vs. Bistream for different decoding formats. PCM or Auto are your only options. I have not tested analogue out myself but according to the manual adjustments are well optioned.

Odd features I like?

1. The display on the unit has three modes: full brightness, dim and off.
2. The remote is about 50% backlit blue. (all the media controls are backlit...which is good).
3. It outputs at 24p, which was not a prevalent feature when this player was out.
4. It outputs in PCM OR bitstreams all HD audio.
5. Quality of this unit is excellent. Weight is over 1 pound.

Overall, I still really like this player and it's my "go-to" player when disc playback quality is the primary concern.
Comments
You do not have permissions to add comments.
This does not have any entries.
Ratings
Overall:
Features:
Performance:
Color Accuracy:
Black Levels:
Value:
Design:
Video Quality:
Ease of Setup:
Remote: