In a side wall

Underneath the screen

Etc.....

If time allows, comment on why you choose to do it the way you did

Thanks

#105 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck1906 /forum/post/12412754

What all do you all have your in racks?! I am thinking I will only need about 4 components in mine. I probably will have the cable box, HD DVD player, PS3/Blueray, Tuner, and thats about it. I guess I could add an amp to the system at some point.

Currently I have six amplifiers (in use), an HD-DVD player, receiver, scaler, and a sub on top. I am out of room unless I put a player on my scaler or build a closet to accommodate more components. I would be very happy with a Blu-ray tuner combo as then I would only need one more shelf. There is no harm in planning to have separates later on and reserving lots of room for them helps out. The more room, the better.

#106 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck1906 /forum/post/12412754

What all do you all have your in racks?! I am thinking I will only need about 4 components in mine. I probably will have the cable box, HD DVD player, PS3/Blueray, Tuner, and thats about it. I guess I could add an amp to the system at some point.

Hello:

Power Center/Surge Protector

PVR

HDMI switch

Receiver

AMP

HD-DVD

PS3

Xbox

HTPC

Splotto

#107 ·
Many people prefer to not have their rack within the filed of view, but for my build it was the best location.

Here's a shot showing the the built-in equipment cabinets along with the proscenium forming a shadow box around my screen:

And here's a closeup of one of the cabinets with the smoked-glass door open:

As you can see from this picture, the cabinets were constructed with a removable side panel for wiring access:

A 3" conduit runs between the left and ride side cabinets to tie them together for wiring.

#112 ·
All I can say is WOW. Those are just breathe taking.

#114 ·
Ok I'm as dumb as they come... arggghhhh

Finally broke down and purchased 2 of the middle atlantic wrk44-27 self standing racks to put in my 'temp' theater closet.

My problem is the stupid closet door is only 22" and the rack is 26" wide, LOL. Man I can't believe I didn't measure first...

Anyhow, does anyone have any experience with these racks? What I am trying to find out is wether or not they can be disassembled and then reassembled inside the closet. All I seem to find is that they are 'fully welded' on the internet, and it's really hard to tell in looking at them if I can indeed take them apart. Obviously it's a huge job, and if it's not possible it would be nice to know beforehand.

Dad always said 'measure twice' spose I shoulda listened more carefully.

#116 ·
I have never seen anything like that before in my life.. I want it!

#117 ·
Glimmie,

Well done! I thought it was a TV station

#118 ·
That looks like Master Control at a TV station or Video Production company! LOL!

#121 ·
This rack does was designed as built-in shelves vs. the more common metal rack. Since it was built into a recess in the wall, the rack pulls out and rotates to access wiring.

Reactions: SuperFist
#124 ·
This is how it has been for the last couple of months.

Middle Atlantic BRK16 Rack + Casters + 2 U2 shelves

Furman PL-Plus Series II Power Conditioner

Nintendo Wii

Phillips DVD Player

DirecTiVo DVR

Harman Kardon AVR-247

JBL HT4V (Left & Right) JBL HT4H (Center), and Infinity PS-12 (Subwoofer)

Toshiba 20" CRT

This week:

Oppo Digital DV0-980H

Rear Rack Rails

2 U1 Shelves

1 Glass Door

And a cabling job.

Front:

Back:

#125 ·
Has anyone heard of a company called Salamander that makes equipment racks? I just left the local HT store and they were telling me to check out their website to compare them against the MA racks but I don't see any comparison. Am i looking at the right site? I told the guy at the store I wanted a rack that could slide out so I would have access to the back and thats when he mentioned the Salamander company. To me, there stuff looks like furniture and not like racks like the MA products do.

#126 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck1906 /forum/post/12697854

I told the guy at the store I wanted a rack that could slide out so I would have access to the back and thats when he mentioned the Salamander company. To me, there stuff looks like furniture and not like racks like the MA products do.

I don't think Salamander does in-wall racks. I think the big feature of their stuff is that it's somewhat modular and you can design a custom layout of shelves, drawers, panels, and so on. And you can conceivably roll the unit around and get to the back of it, which may be what the store guy thought you were talking about. A friend has one of the "Synergy" units and it basically appears to be made of 80/20 plus wooden panels and shelves.

#128 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamhost /forum/post/12641966

Ok I'm as dumb as they come... arggghhhh

Finally broke down and purchased 2 of the middle atlantic wrk44-27 self standing racks to put in my 'temp' theater closet.

My problem is the stupid closet door is only 22" and the rack is 26" wide, LOL. Man I can't believe I didn't measure first...

Anyhow, does anyone have any experience with these racks? What I am trying to find out is wether or not they can be disassembled and then reassembled inside the closet.

I bought 2 secondhand Slim5 racks from MidAtlantic and they do bolt together, so you'll have no problem if they're like that. I suppose you'll know in a couple days either way... But since it would have to ship by freight carrier if it wasn't broken down, you might be able to tell from the shipping charges.

#129 ·
Thanks for all the great info (I think my brain is overloaded). I'd like to do something like the setup listed above (post #68)by bmackrell. I think this might be the MA Slim 5, but can't tell for sure. I need to be able have side & rear panels to block out the sound from the furnace sitting behind my HT, but still allow the components to adequately vent. I also need to make sure all the cables fit within the rack with the rear door closed (common sense, right? I noticed that many of these racks don't have rear doors and I just wanted to be completely clear. Do you all think the Slim 5 setup (if that's what it is) would work in this application? If not, what is my best bet? I don't want the sound from the HVAC getting through my rack after I spent all that time and $$$ sound insulating my backwall.