AVS Forum banner

Official JTR speaker thread

3M views 44K replies 1K participants last post by  N8DOGG 
#1 ·

As more and more ppl buying these speakers, i thought that there should be a centralized thread to post pics, comments, setup.

Reactions: ronnlim and rizki96
#42 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john /forum/post/16952239

What are you doing with the THSPUD?

Craig
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedirun /forum/post/16952905

He has them under the riser for the second row of seats.

Yup, it's a pair of them under this (The horn exits are the back corner sides):

Being built

Finished (more or less
)

#43 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by amheck /forum/post/16952841

Man, those T8's look small there! They seem like a tweener - almost too small to be a floorstander, but too big to be a bookshelf and go on a stand.

Well there are three 8" drivers so that sort of dictates the size ... but they don't sound small.

I am going to wall mount the T8's (Jeff gave me the idea of using a french cleat mount) and then I'll cut a couple of my acoustic panels to fit over them. That will provide a nice acoustic surround for each T8 plus visually reduce the size and depth due to the panel size. I'm going to do the same for the Slanted 8's when they arrive (hopefully soon
) and I'll post some pics once I get it finished.

#44 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! /forum/post/16953205

Yup, it's a pair of them under this (The horn exits are the back corner sides)

With the THSPUD's do you really *need* the Captivator(s)? I thought the THSPUD's had really good VLF output, which is also supposed to be the forte' of the Captivator?

Also, do you usually sit in the rear-row seats? I would guess they would be a blast for tactile response, but with them located so close to the back wall, they might be compromised for acoustics. Anyway, very cool room and system.

Craig

#45 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john /forum/post/16953418

With the THSPUD's do you really *need* the Captivator(s)? I thought the THSPUD's had really good VLF output, which is also supposed to be the forte' of the Captivator?

Also, do you usually sit in the rear-row seats? I would guess they would be a blast for tactile response, but with them located so close to the back wall, they might be compromised for acoustics. Anyway, very cool room and system.

Craig

Clearly this purchase was not need based.

The SPUDS produce a really nice tactile sensation along with some impressive output. The Captivators will be in the front of the room and provide a bit more slam in the 15Hz and > frequencies. I will also experiment with using just the CAPs for music.

Regarding the placement you may want to take a look at this post by Tom Danley discussing some TH-SPUD placement options.

#46 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! /forum/post/16958000

Clearly this purchase was not need based.

Quote:

The SPUDS produce a really nice tactile sensation along with some impressive output. The Captivators will be in the front of the room and provide a bit more slam in the 15Hz and > frequencies. I will also experiment with using just the CAPs for music.

Quote:

Regarding the placement you may want to take a look at this post by Tom Danley regarding the TH-SPUDS room placement options.

I was referring to the *seats* being so close to the back wall. The bass can be boomy near a wall. Also, the early reflection off the back wall can smear imaging. I see the absorption panel back there, but it looks like it's above ear level.

Craig

#47 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john /forum/post/16959396

I was referring to the *seats* being so close to the back wall. The bass can be boomy near a wall. Also, the early reflection off the back wall can smear imaging. I see the absorption panel back there, but it looks like it's above ear level.

Craig

Ahhh I see, reading comprehension problem I guess...

The second row was a squeeze and you are correct, the seats are too close to the wall (18"). I sat in the left rear seat for the 3 hour Watchmen BR the other night and the bass was quite good. I was surprised by the SQ overall but especially the dialog intelligibility from this less than ideal location.

The room is optimized for the first row but as it turns out the back row sound is pretty good too and the screen viewing angle is perfect.

#48 ·
RMK! as you add the captivators I think you will find that every row will get better. I am not using EQ or anything but because I have so much power there is not a spot or seat that sounds bad. I thought the Watchmen had excellent sound quality overall. I liked that movie. My room is treated everywhere so that is probably why I get good results with little effort.

#51 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpmbc /forum/post/16960606

I wonder too if you will just keep the Captivators for stereo use only once that new found power gets in place. Hmm

What I'm thinking is all four for HT and just the Captivators for music but time will tell. It may be that all four subs all the time is the ticket.

#52 ·
RMK,

Thanks for sharing your experience and insight with your JTR products.

I was wondering if you have could possibly try one of your 2010 T-8s as your center and post some results.

I have heard the older T-8s as well as the T12s (not the LF's) but it was a fairly poor setup. I was able to take a single T12 from the dealer to demo it in a better room. I used it as a center and it was "Awesome". Full midbass for realistic dialog, detail, dynamic; pretty much everything you would want in a center it had.

I personally feel that your center is the most important aspect of HT as a good percentage of the movie recording tracks through it. I was wondering if the T-8s (being much cheaper then the T12s) would have that same impact, particularly in the midbass region.

I sure hope that the T8s can perform on par with the T12s as I already am in over my head and I can't help it.

#53 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcarola25 /forum/post/16962812

RMK,

Thanks for sharing your experience and insight with your JTR products.

I was wondering if you have could possibly try one of your 2010 T-8s as your center and post some results.

I have heard the older T-8s as well as the T12s (not the LF's) but it was a fairly poor setup. I was able to take a single T12 from the dealer to demo it in a better room. I used it as a center and it was "Awesome". Full midbass for realistic dialog, detail, dynamic; pretty much everything you would want in a center it had.

I personally feel that your center is the most important aspect of HT as a good percentage of the movie recording tracks through it. I was wondering if the T-8s (being much cheaper then the T12s) would have that same impact, particularly in the midbass region.

I sure hope that the T8s can perform on par with the T12s as I already am in over my head and I can't help it.

I agree with you about the center channel for HT and the T12LF makes a truly great center but the 2010 T8 is are pretty darn close with the differences attributal to the driver size and frequency range covered. Another forum member asked for my take on this and here is what I told him.

Quote:
I just spent 40 minutes listening to music from an AIX Records Bluray sampler (courtesy of OPPO). It has hirez (un-compressed) multichannel recordings on it and I switched between the 2010 T8 and T12LF center twice each during the session. Honestly, they were very close but if I had to comment it would be the midbass and lower frequencies were a bit better with the 12LF while the T8's new coax/tweeter may have sounded a bit sweeter (I believe the new T12HT's have an updated compression driver). My room is heavily treated and just barely large enough (@3600^3) for the T12LF's so for smaller rooms I would think the T8's would be ideal.

Based upon todays mini session, I think I would be happy with either speaker and with the right sub (dual Captivators
) any performance delta would be slight.

Of course, I already have the 12LF's and so a swap out would be pointless but I am very impressed with the new 2010 T8's. I had heard the previous version and it was good but this one is a much better loudspeaker.

#54 ·
Would you say the new T8 is noticeably smoother on the top end? The only thing I was thinking could use a slight improvement was the top end. Not that it's bad on the Triple 12LF's but a little more refinement could just take it to that next level.

#55 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhdiab /forum/post/16951897

If anyone is using an SC-07 / 05 for the Triple 8's please let me know. Tons of assurances in the receiver thread that it can drive 4ohm speakers, but just wanted to see if anyone has that setup.

Thanks!

I take it nobody is doing this. hmm that would mean I need to be ready to buy an amplifier if I buy the JTR's.

Any reccomendations on an affordable 3 channel amplifier that would be good for the JTR Triple 8's?

#56 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhdiab /forum/post/16982468

I take it nobody is doing this. hmm that would mean I need to be ready to buy an amplifier if I buy the JTR's.

Any reccomendations on an affordable 3 channel amplifier that would be good for the JTR Triple 8's?

I have an SC-05 and hope to have the T8's someday, but probably not for a while. Wish I had them so I could provide an answer for you. I do know, however, that the SC's seem to run just fine with 4 ohm speakers.

On the amp side, I believe a lot of people seem to be happy with the Emotiva's on the more affordable end.

#57 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by amheck /forum/post/16982554

I have an SC-05 and hope to have the T8's someday, but probably not for a while. Wish I had them so I could provide an answer for you. I do know, however, that the SC's seem to run just fine with 4 ohm speakers.

On the amp side, I believe a lot of people seem to be happy with the Emotiva's on the more affordable end.

Also, you could look on the pro amps side of the house. They are a lot more power for the money.

I actually talked to Jeff from JTR yesterday and he recommended 2 channel QSC or Crest amps. He gave me the model numbers but I forgot off hand. I have them written down somewhere.

The only drawback to pro amps would be the active cooling. They cool with fans that could be a little loud. The fixes is that the better pro amps have variable speeds or people put computer fans in them as they are much more quiet.

#58 ·
I haven't received my JTR's yet but everyone seems to say the same thing about them: they don't need alot of power but they sure do like it. Now I'm not at all familiar with the SC-05/07 but if it has no issues with a 4ohm load then it should do the trick.

As for separate amps, many guys are happy with emotiva and it doesn't break the bank(the back maybe). Alternatively, you could look into some pro amps. Jeff recommended a few on his forum a while back. http://jtrspeakers.websitetoolbox.com/post?id=3546215

And you could always email Jeff. He's busy as hell but he always gets back to you eventually and usually very quickly. Hope this helped.

#59 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankite /forum/post/16972591

Would you say the new T8 is noticeably smoother on the top end? The only thing I was thinking could use a slight improvement was the top end. Not that it's bad on the Triple 12LF's but a little more refinement could just take it to that next level.

Yes, the new coax in the T8’s is just outstanding and I am looking forward to getting my T12LF’s upgraded to its counterpart coax and Xover.

With several movies and 5-6 hours of music listening under my belt, I am amazed at the improvement in the surround sound. I used to believe that the surrounds were not that important as long as you have strong LCR’s but when you have 5 or more very capable speakers and a good quality 5 or 7 channel mix, the results can be spectacular.

Jeff is putting out some mighty fine speakers at a very reasonable price. The T8's are very large for a wall mounted surround but Jeff gave me the idea of using a french cleat and that worked out great. I then cut and slid an acoustic panel over the T8's.Here are a couple of pics of my in-panel wall mounting solution. I am going to be finishing them off with a piece of molding (cosmetic only) to lessen the apparent depth visually.

Very anxious to get the Slanted 8’s and Captivators so I can finish this sucker off.

#60 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! /forum/post/16982935

Yes, the new coax in the T8's is just outstanding and I am looking forward to getting my T12LF's upgraded to its counterpart coax and Xover.

With several movies and 5-6 hours of music listening under my belt, I am amazed at the improvement in the surround sound. I used to believe that the surrounds were not that important as long as you have strong LCR's but when you have 5 or more very capable speakers and a good quality 5 or 7 channel mix, the results can be spectacular.

Jeff is putting out some mighty fine speakers at a very reasonable price. They are very large for a wall mounted surround. Here are a couple of pics of my in-panel wall mounted T8's. I am going to be finishing them off with a piece of molding (cosmetic only) to lessen the apparent depth visually.

Very anxious to get the Slanted 8's and Captivators so I can finish this sucker off.

Your setup really is sickening. If I can eventually get mine anywhere close yours I'll be crazy happy.