Video dropout problem on HD channels - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 61 Old 05-15-2004, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
OK, this is driving me crazy. This is the problem whereby the video goes black for a second or so, and comes back on without loss of audio.

Happens all the time on ESPN HD and on other HD channels like HDNET.

I know a lo of you are experiencing this problem from posts I've read here somewhere that I can't locate at the moment.

I've got the Samsung 160.

Has anyone called D* with this problem and received any type of solution to solve it?

I've just got off the phone with them and they naturally claim they haven't had many calls about it. I last spoke with their advanced support issue office about it, and they are going to contact the broadcast engineering team about it.
We'll see if anything becomes of it.

I'm not gonna let this keep going on without a fight. Please respond here if you've got this problem and what HD receiver you've got.

I'm on a "mission from god" as the great Blues Brothers once said!

Baby, remember...It's my life and I'll do what I want!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 61 Old 05-15-2004, 11:15 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yes, t160 also.
post #3 of 61 Old 05-15-2004, 01:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yes, sony300&sony200.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 61 Old 05-16-2004, 09:51 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Thanks for starting the thread---i was gonna start the exact same thread, but i did a search first and found this----

I have a Sony HD300, which has the recent software upgrade. it had the video dropouts before and after. i get no dropouts on any SD channels, nor OTA.

Last night i watched a PVR recording of Don Grusin from HDNet recorded on 4/19 and it had the video freeze and then the black screen for a second, and once where the screen almost filled with light green and a jagged top. The audio was fine in all instances. So i am not getting a signal dropout.

I then watched the whole second half of the Womens NCAA final recorded on 4/6 from ESPNHD. Not 1 freeze/black screen/green with jagged top.

I have no programs between those dates. Clearly DirecTV has done something in their transmissions between those dates.

Perhaps someone has has a recording of a HD channel between those dates to try and narrow it down.

If there are folks who watch ESPNHD baseball tonight, could i suggest you write down the time/event when you see the dropout--at least this way we could coordinate we all see it at the SAME time---hopefully. Then it would clearly be a DirecTV transmission problem. I will record it so i can verify the times other mention.

We do need a phone number and a person (or group) to talk to at DirecTV in order to get the message across. Dealing with a 1st line CSR is not going to do it. Or an email addy.

ron

JVC RS600, 110"d StudioTek 130, Panny 820 4k Player, Denon AVR-X6500H, 5.2.4 DIY Sound Group speakers, Crown XLS 2502 Sub amp,
post #5 of 61 Old 05-16-2004, 10:43 AM

Yes on the Hughes HTL-HD. I called, but was just asked to reset the receiver. And as usual, they say no one has called.

- Richard
post #6 of 61 Old 05-16-2004, 10:51 AM

this has occured since i have owned the hd300. i got this unit last october and have had these video dropouts on D* HD channels only. I also get this green splash coming up from the bottom some times also. It covers the screen horizontally starting at the bottom and comes up, at times, to 1/3 of the screen. Top looks like some sort of jaggy output you would see on an equalizer display or somthing.

No problems on SD or OTA SD/HD content.

i searched the HD Tivo forum and found others have this on their expensive HD Tivo units so it is definately a wide spread issue. Now the question is this.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...hreadid=175282

Is this a flaw in the HD receiver algorithm implementation where it is losing video sync or is it in the signal from DirecTV? Just a WAG here but....!?!

I have just had to live with it in disgust but now that I know it is not the HD300 (maybe?) I am hopeful there will be a solution eventually. D* may in fact see this in their signal and fix it.
post #7 of 61 Old 05-16-2004, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

C'mon guys and gals. I need all of you experiencing this to respond. We gotta get this fixed!

Is there anyone who doesn't see this ever? What box are you using? Is it made on earth?

Thanks

post #8 of 61 Old 05-16-2004, 02:27 PM

I have also seen this with our local OTA station KNTV (NBC) here in the bay area. But it's unclear if it's been a station issue or not as I don't have this issue with any of the other OTA stations.

- Richard
post #9 of 61 Old 05-16-2004, 02:29 PM

I too, have this problem on both of my Sony STBs. (HD-200 and HD-300). The dropouts occur at the same time on both boxes, so it is not random to each box. I've had the dropouts for a minimum of six months; they continue even after the HD300's recent update to ver. 2.0 software.

What's interesting is that the dropouts are always exactly 15 frames in duration. I can't be certain, but it seems like they only occur on the DirecTV HD channels. They also seem to be random in frequency--sometimes several times per hour and sometimes none at all.
post #10 of 61 Old 05-16-2004, 02:53 PM

To receive an acknowledgment from D* regarding these issues, someone could volunter to print all the LG (Sony & Hughes) & Samsungs Master Topic posts regarding dropouts, and mail them to D* corp in CA. You will receive a supportive response, if your cover letter excludes rants & opinions and sticks to fact. Do not copy/paste email.

I would offer, but I am not allowed to contact D* corp directly. West Coast & Mid-West distribution centers have notified D* of these issues through approved channels. Obviously hearing directly from non-retail subs, will get D* to up the priority and severity, and hopefully get these issues added to the front line CSR Q&A and support databases.

However, you need to email the avsforum admin and ask for permission before executing this task.

DirecTV's mailing address is;

The Directv Group Inc
Attn: Mitchell Stern
2250 East Imperial Highway
El Segundo, CA 90245
post #11 of 61 Old 05-16-2004, 03:14 PM
npm

Same here with HTL-HD w/ 2.0.0 update.

I've noticed the video dropouts on the D* HD channels with the most frequent being HD Net. I would say that they occur 2 to 5 times a half hour. I have not noticed on OTA HD. This has been happening since I received the box (edit) April 21, 2004 (end edit) and has not let up since the update.

Incidentally, I had another HTL-HD from November to February and I do not remember having these dropout problems. The first dropouts, audio and video, started for me with the TS360 that replaced my original HTL-HD.

I have not called yet about these dropouts, but plan to.
post #12 of 61 Old 05-16-2004, 03:43 PM

I posted previously. I did NOT get any video "dropouts" prior to 4/6/04--at least not as often as they are now.
IOW, for me, this is a very recent problem. DirecTV made a change with something, and they need to know it's not working correctly.
Some of the posters have said "ever since i've owned this box". please edit your posts and put in a approximate date. thanks, ron.

JVC RS600, 110"d StudioTek 130, Panny 820 4k Player, Denon AVR-X6500H, 5.2.4 DIY Sound Group speakers, Crown XLS 2502 Sub amp,
post #13 of 61 Old 05-16-2004, 03:54 PM

I have owned a Samsung TS-360 via D* for a couple of months. I first read about the black outs on the Samsung TS-360 thread but hadn't experienced the problem myself until I started watching a lot of playoff hockey on ESPN-HD. Now I too have had the delightful experience of these black outs about once every 5 minutes and the occasional 1/2 screen green fill coming up from the bottom. I think I have noticed the blackout much less frequently on other HD channels. Nothing seems to be as bad as ESPN-HD. From the Samsung TS-360 thread I thought the problem was limited to that model and like others was hoping a software upgrade might eventually fix it. Reading this thread I see it's apparently not limited to the Samsung. I guess that's good as there is more of us with the problem, more calls to D* but still, these things seem to take forever to get identified, fixed and then pushed out (if it's as "simple" as a software fix or a broadcasting tweak).

Wired
post #14 of 61 Old 05-16-2004, 04:17 PM
Advanced Member

HTL-HD with 2.0 firmware, I haven't noticed video drops but I get audio drops on DD5.1 programming every few seconds! I'm very annoyed and frustrated :mad:
post #15 of 61 Old 05-16-2004, 04:34 PM

The issues are not service related or the DST would be suffering from them as well. Please review my advice.
post #16 of 61 Old 05-16-2004, 04:49 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 1781 Post(s)
Liked: 3556
HD Net dropouts here too on HD200/HD300

Kind of reminds me of the 1/2 hour dropouts on the HD100 (fixed by a firmware update)

please take the high road in every post:do not respond to or quote a problematic post: report it
HDMI.org:what a mess HDCP = Hollywood's Draconian Copy Protection system
LG C9 OLED owner

post #17 of 61 Old 05-16-2004, 06:50 PM

Gary, your last post says that "It's not a service related problem or the DST would have them too."

There NO reports of "dropout" or "Blink" on the DST thread? But then there are only 55 total posts, and a stb which has been out a month and a half. Could it be only related to the Sammys and the LG versions.

If i read you correctly--DirecTV has been formally informed of this recent problem with the Sammys and the LG versions---correct. i use the word "recent" to mean in the last 6 weeks or so.

if we did not gather posts to send, and if we can not get DirecTV's attention on the phone, how long would you guess it will take to get this problem resolved, given they already have the info?

I am currently recording the ESPNHD baseball game on my Panny E100. it will be in 480i, but i can also burn a DVD. IF i should volunteer to gather a bunch of these posts to send to DirecTV, would it help to send a DVD with some "snipits" of the video "dropouts"?
You also mention "no cut/pastes"---what does that mean? Do you mean to print the HTML post regarding the dropouts, rather than copying and pasting the text of the post??? IF i'm gonna do it, i want to do it right.

off to the game, thanks, and sorry to ramble on.... feel free to PM if you don't want to post--i will not repeat it.
ron

post #18 of 61 Old 05-16-2004, 10:30 PM

My HD300 also gets the video drops (black screen) also... no "green splash" though. Only happens on D* HD channels (mostly HDNET). Has been occurring for months (before and after the V2.0 firmware upgrade). On average I notice it about 1-2 times an hour.
post #19 of 61 Old 05-17-2004, 05:56 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I too am now suffering from video dropouts on D* HD channels on my Hughes HD-HTL since the 2.0 update. It is very annoying. One thing I noticed about D* is that that email contact seems to be more effective than just calling. So I would suggest that EVERYONE who is having these problems sent them a detailed email and ask that this newly created "fix" be fixed!
post #20 of 61 Old 05-17-2004, 07:10 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 796
Is it fixed?

Last night I watched three hours of HBOHD and HDNet all without any video dropouts. I typically notice them on HDNet (probably since I watch it the most) and only viewed it last night for thirty minutes out of the three hours. I thought I was saw one but the show ended and went to black... fooled me.

125" Projection | 5.2.4 Audio | Shield TV | LibreELEC/ODROID-C2 Kodi Media Client | Ubuntu/ODROID-XU4 NAS/Server | 65" LG OLED TV | TiVo | Shield TV |
| Water cooled Threadripper & Radeon VII, NVMe PC - 43" 4K Monitor |
post #21 of 61 Old 05-17-2004, 08:06 AM

We finally get a thread to document the "dropouts" and we don't get any---strange how that happens. kinda like calling to see if the package shipped and when you hang up---UPS drops it off....

as i mentioned i would do--i recorded ESPNHD baseball game, and scanned the 1st 7 innings at x2 speed and did not see a dropout. i watched live the last 3 innings and did not see any there.

please post if you saw dropouts in the baseball game, the inning and who was batting. i'll go back and check it.

ron

post #22 of 61 Old 05-17-2004, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Looks like this could be a LG & it's clones receiver problem. Anyone with this problem that has a different brand of STB?

I didn't notice any dropouts on the ESPN HD ballgame last night, though I didn't watch the whole game.

post #23 of 61 Old 05-17-2004, 10:22 AM
Advanced Member

I was watching Smart Travel on HDNET and there was a drop in video, I have the HTL-HD with firmware 2.0!
post #24 of 61 Old 05-17-2004, 10:41 AM

this problem is not limited to the LG lineup. In this thread I mentioned reports of the Samsungs and even the pricy HD Tivo.

I had a couple of dropouts on HD Net a couple of evenings ago. None last night on HD but one on SD which had never happened before. I will not count that one for now. I also wathed Sunday Night Baseball on ESPN HD for about an hour and did not see one dropout. This channel was usually the worst.

Not having any last night after watching HD movies for a couple of hours gives me hope the signal integrity may be the issue.
post #25 of 61 Old 05-17-2004, 11:48 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I just noticed that my signal level for HDNET is "only" in the middle of the normal zone, while the levels for HDNET Movies, ESPN-HD, and Discovery HD and all the other D* channels are in the "good" zone. I just wonder if this could be causing the video blinks on this channel.

Does anyone else have a lower than normal signal level on HDNET?
post #26 of 61 Old 05-17-2004, 12:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I was watching the BB Game on ESPN Last night and I got a NO SIGNAL for about 5 seconds....Now that was weird because my signal strength was in the 80's.

I have the Zenith 520 and have been experience the blackouts/green thingies and even occasionally 1 or 2 lines digitizing.....

There's Good TV, Better TV and DirecTV, but nothing beats a calibrated TV!!
www.clearlyresolved.com
post #27 of 61 Old 05-17-2004, 12:27 PM

so now we have another vendor unit doing this, including the green splash. seems to not be a box issue with this many variations. i get the little line digitizing sometimes on my hd300 also.

LG/Sony/Hughes line
Samsung (both units)
Zenith (I would expect the HD200 to this also if the Zenith does)
HD Tivo (reported on HD Tivo forum)
post #28 of 61 Old 05-17-2004, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by hardballpete
C'mon guys and gals. I need all of you experiencing this to respond. We gotta get this fixed!

Is there anyone who doesn't see this ever? What box are you using? Is it made on earth?

Thanks
Have the HD-300 & never had the Video or Audio drop out. Then again, I don't watch THAT much TV.
post #29 of 61 Old 05-17-2004, 06:07 PM

As i recall the Zenith 520 and the Sony HD200 are the same unit..

LG actually owns the Zenith name.

It is interesting as Gary pointed out last night, there are no Toshiba's which have the problem, but then there are very few Toshs compared to the Sony/LG/Hughes...

I watched 2 Train shows from HDNet last night which were recorded last week sometime. on both of them is the green screen which almost fills the screen. as i slow it down, i can see the images of a train moving, but everything is green. i count 16 or 17 frames when viewed in 480i.

if you folks will let me know what HD (i only subscribe to the 4 HD's) show you expect to cause a dropout, i'll record it and see if i see what you see.

Also, if you do mention a show, and you are watching it and see a dropout, write down the time, and an event, like 5th inning, Lopez batting, so i have some idea where to look in the recording. BB would be ideal to track, vs a movie.

Since no one had a dropout from BB last night, i'm gonna erase it. I only have 25 hours of recording time left.....

ron

post #30 of 61 Old 05-17-2004, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rondi
Gary, your last post says that "It's not a service related problem or the DST would have them too...
The DST's lack of posts could imply that those who have purchased it have resolved their issues and/or satisfied with the product, but this is not a recommendation or endorsement. How did 2.0 diminish drop out effect but not eliminate it totally? If non existent on the DST how can this be a service issue??

D* is aware of the issue, but D* CSR's are not tracking the issues nor have been they been informed how to report HD product issues, they are treating it like a non HD product. Conspiracy perhaps, but a written letter has 100% believability and are reviewed by the office as well as ATS Senior Tech Engineers. Email is not.

State your complaint in writing, do not write with opinion or rant, stay with the fact. If only 100 LG & Samsung owners wrote D*, out of 13m subs, it would get the attention of D*. Your other recourse would be to RMA the receiver until the manuf screams and confesses that they cannot resolve the issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread HDTV Technical

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page