Mahuzz Theatre with enough bass even eng-399 approves - Page 7 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 698Likes

post #181 of 576 Old 04-21-2019, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked: 979
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersShadow View Post
Sounds great! Any other treatments planned? Ceiling, side reflection points, bass traps, etc?

Looks phenomenal so far so I can’t imagine what it will look like done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the kind comments

As for acoustic treatments I will have linacoustic 1 1/2” on all walls with a light grey fabric covering it. I also started some diffusion 1’x1’ panels to go behind the fabric as well on either side on the right side columns. In the rear right and left side I will be filling with fluffy insulation as bass traps and back wall will have 4”’insulation. As for behind the baffle wall I will also fill with fluffy insulation, so no specifically built bass traps. Acoustic ceiling clouds are planned but not approved by the wife yet lol. I need to control the sound since I will have hardwood, I was thinking of a rollout carpet coming from under the screen or just clouds at first reflection point but I might wait to see how it sounds

Where ever there isn’t a speaker it will be filled with insulation

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 576 Old 04-21-2019, 03:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 101 Post(s)
Quoted: 1673 Post(s)
Liked: 3015
Excellent progress!
If it were me, I’d do the floor before the fabric. I would want that to be the very last thing. Just in case it might get damaged during the other installs.
Mahuzz13 likes this.
post #183 of 576 Old 04-21-2019, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jk7.2 View Post
Excellent progress!
If it were me, I’d do the floor before the fabric. I would want that to be the very last thing. Just in case it might get damaged during the other installs.

Thank you sir that makes sense for sure

post #184 of 576 Old 04-21-2019, 06:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked: 642
Columns look great Duane! Keep at it, you're making good progress. Can't wait to hear this room when it's all done.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
post #185 of 576 Old 04-25-2019, 03:29 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quick update, ceiling is down

Well my wife and I had a debate on painting the ring around the LED lights in the ceiling, I was very persistent and painted one. Well let me tell you first it is a huge pain in the butt to tape off the lens and I can’t imagine doing that to 16 of them and the result was not in my favour. After putting 2 coats on the ring I pulled the tape off and it looked terrible and all it did was highlight the white lens on the light, so I said this will be a waste of my time. Texted my wife and said you were right I was wrong, that was a tough one to swallow but I moved on and got the ceiling painted and I am so happy with the result. I was really worried about the way my taper mudder guy left the ceiling and I had to fix it I was crossing my fingers that it would turn out and it did. Also got the 4 of the 6 column insert panels painted black so the wood wouldn’t show through the fabric after wrapping it and just for fun I painted my diffusers.

Still a little wet in this picture

Taking a little break from the HT and concentrating on the rest of the basement to get ready for the hardwood installation mid to end of May (also I’ll be gone for a little trip to Italy May 3 for 11 days with my wife to celebrate our 50th Birthdays that are this summer).

tjambro, eng-399, p3bham and 1 others like this.
post #186 of 576 Old 04-25-2019, 08:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Hey Duane, it looks like we might have the same lights... Trenz? I bought about 40 of them when they had a big sale combined with the provincial energy rebate last year. I just connected my first three last week and I'm really happy with the light colour, output, and they dim really low too.

I had the same thought as you that painting would just highlight the white, but I did a test and I think I'll go with the painted trim ring for the 6 in the thratre. I loosened the screws on the back of the unit, and cut a paper circle a little larger than the hole. Then I pushed the trim ring up a bit (a few mm) off the lens/disc part and slid the paper underneath. It took some coaxing but it worked pretty well on my test subject. I hit it with multiple light coats of flat black BBQ paint, rotating it to get under all the edges (inner and outer). Well see how it looks in the end.

post #187 of 576 Old 04-25-2019, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OJ Bartley View Post
Hey Duane, it looks like we might have the same lights... Trenz? I bought about 40 of them when they had a big sale combined with the provincial energy rebate last year. I just connected my first three last week and I'm really happy with the light colour, output, and they dim really low too.

I had the same thought as you that painting would just highlight the white, but I did a test and I think I'll go with the painted trim ring for the 6 in the thratre. I loosened the screws on the back of the unit, and cut a paper circle a little larger than the hole. Then I pushed the trim ring up a bit (a few mm) off the lens/disc part and slid the paper underneath. It took some coaxing but it worked pretty well on my test subject. I hit it with multiple light coats of flat black BBQ paint, rotating it to get under all the edges (inner and outer). Well see how it looks in the end.

Looks amazing and never thought about the screws in the back. So the final result would be a smaller white circle, not to be a a$$. I have another idea in mind is cut a circle just a lit bigger than the out of 1/8” hardboard, cover it with fabric and use magnets to hold it to the light. No idea if it will work but it’s just if the lights bother me during a movie if they don’t I’ll just leave it alone, worry about that when I’m done.

post #188 of 576 Old 04-25-2019, 10:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 805 Post(s)
Liked: 643
I painted my LCD ceiling lights trim ring and thought it was a big improvement (my ceiling is black). What I am looking for now is some type of static cling, anti-reflection, tint material (like anti-scratch protection for phone screens) to put on the 3 stage light lenses and maybe the two off to the immediate sides. These are the only ones I ever notice watching movies (and not often at that) but would like them to fade away a bit more. I might end up doing all of them depending on how they turn out. Plus my lights don't get quite as dim as I would like so that would be another reason to do all of them.

Your theater is looking fantastic!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1788.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	359.5 KB
ID:	2558070  
Mahuzz13 likes this.

Denali Cinema
JVC-RS540, 124" Wide 2.40:1 DIY Screen, Denon 8500H, Denon 6200W, Panasonic UB820 UHD Player, (3) iNuke 6000DSP; (2) iNuke NX3000D; (3) HTM-12; (14) RSL C34e surrounds; (2) 18" DA RSS460HO-4 Subwoofers; (1) DA UM18-22 18" Ultimax Subwoofer; (4) DA RSS390HO-4 15" Reference HO Subwoofers; BOSS Platform - (12) 12" Subwoofers
post #189 of 576 Old 04-25-2019, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazensol View Post
I painted my LCD ceiling lights trim ring and thought it was a big improvement (my ceiling is black). What I am looking for now is some type of static cling, anti-reflection, tint material (like anti-scratch protection for phone screens) to put on the 3 stage light lenses and maybe the two off to the immediate sides. These are the only ones I ever notice watching movies (and not often at that) but would like them to fade away a bit more. I might end up doing all of them depending on how they turn out. Plus my lights don't get quite as dim as I would like so that would be another reason to do all of them.

Your theater is looking fantastic!

Hey that’s another amazing idea I will look into that as well at least for the front 4 lights and as I said the lights can be painted at anytime if I get distracted from them while watching a movie.

And thanks for the kind words about the theatre.

brazensol likes this.
post #190 of 576 Old 04-25-2019, 07:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahuzz13 View Post
Looks amazing and never thought about the screws in the back. So the final result would be a smaller white circle, not to be a a$$. I have another idea in mind is cut a circle just a lit bigger than the out of 1/8” hardboard, cover it with fabric and use magnets to hold it to the light. No idea if it will work but it’s just if the lights bother me during a movie if they don’t I’ll just leave it alone, worry about that when I’m done.

Yeah, basically smaller circles, lol. But I figured smaller is at least better.

I considered trying something like VHT Niteshades headlight paint on the centre part, but I haven't figured out exactly how to do it and how it might look.

I was also considering trying to build a pinhole trim cover, similar to how you described, to provide a little more cover. Post pics if you go that route!

Mahuzz13 likes this.
post #191 of 576 Old 04-30-2019, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quick update before we leave to Italy Friday

All rooms painted in basement except the room beside the theatre, haven’t pick colours yet but will when we return.

Ordered remainder of my speakers from DIYSG:
10 HT8s (2 for 2 channel upstairs)
6 Volt8s for atmos duty
2 buyout 15s for who know but couldn’t pass up that deal

Picking up linacoustic 1.5 thickness this week and will order fabric for walls this week as well.

When we get back my wife and I will make a trip done to Niagara Falls NY to pick everything up and then the fun starts.

I have a deadline for the fabric to be on June 11, hardwood is being installed. Yes I have decided to put the fabric on before the hardwood, I would be able to remove the columns after the hardwood is down so I will cover the fabric will vapour barrier plastic until they are done.

That’s it for me until we return.

post #192 of 576 Old 05-01-2019, 08:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

That's exciting Duane! So many new speakers coming your way. Have a great trip, weve always had amazing experiences in Italy. Eat, eat, and then eat some more! And then get gelato. Lol.

Oh, and if you have linacoustic left over, let me know and I might be interested in buying a bunch for screen wall, etc. (if you don't use it all up in your room).
Mahuzz13 likes this.
post #193 of 576 Old 05-01-2019, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
That's exciting Duane! So many new speakers coming your way. Have a great trip, weve always had amazing experiences in Italy. Eat, eat, and then eat some more! And then get gelato. Lol.

Oh, and if you have linacoustic left over, let me know and I might be interested in buying a bunch for screen wall, etc. (if you don't use it all up in your room).

Hey Thanks Owen, that is the plan eat drink, eat drink and then repeat. As per gelato we can’t wait to give that a try.

For the linacoustics i thought it was 50’ rolls but its actually 100’ so yes you can buy some off me when I’m done.

OJ Bartley likes this.
post #194 of 576 Old 05-01-2019, 10:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 805 Post(s)
Liked: 643
Stopping the build for a trip to Italy? Unauthorized!!!

Have fun!
Mahuzz13 likes this.

Denali Cinema
JVC-RS540, 124" Wide 2.40:1 DIY Screen, Denon 8500H, Denon 6200W, Panasonic UB820 UHD Player, (3) iNuke 6000DSP; (2) iNuke NX3000D; (3) HTM-12; (14) RSL C34e surrounds; (2) 18" DA RSS460HO-4 Subwoofers; (1) DA UM18-22 18" Ultimax Subwoofer; (4) DA RSS390HO-4 15" Reference HO Subwoofers; BOSS Platform - (12) 12" Subwoofers
post #195 of 576 Old 05-01-2019, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Trust me I’m on a roll right now on getting stuff done but now I have ordered everything so it will be ready for pick up when I return so it all works out and the wife is happy.

post #196 of 576 Old 05-01-2019, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mahuzz Theatre with enough bass even eng-399 approves

So I am managing to squeeze some time in the HT, picked up the linacoustics and 4” rockwool for the back wall today. So once I did a few things around the house I snuck downstairs and started hang the insulation. I put the rockwool up first that was a breeze and then start the rest of the walls with the 1.5” duct liner. I first cut the insulation hangers to length then screwed them to the wall, cut liner to fit, very easy to work with. Only did 2 sections before I cut all hangers for the liner just to make sure it works and holds and it did, so I’m good to go.

Edit: Sorry Owen @OJ Bartley I don’t think I will have much left they quoted me the wrong stuff and actual is 50’ so it will be close for me to actually have enough but I will sure share the company’s info, they are in Brampton close to the airport.

OJ Bartley and Oklahomie like this.

Last edited by Mahuzz13; 05-01-2019 at 08:13 PM.
post #197 of 576 Old 05-01-2019, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Got it all up just have to do the baffle wall after the flooring get put in. Wow what a difference in sound in the room now and it’s not completed yet. Just a finger snapping test and having a conversation down here has changed. Very happy so far can’t wait to see the changes in sound when all the treatments are done.

post #198 of 576 Old 05-01-2019, 08:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 160 Post(s)
Quoted: 891 Post(s)
Liked: 1692
Quote:
Got it all up just have to do the baffle wall after the flooring get put in. Wow what a difference in sound in the room now and it’s not completed yet. Just a finger snapping test and having a conversation down here has changed. Very happy so far can’t wait to see the changes in sound when all the treatments are done.

Looks amazing. Keep up the good work man. Your getting close

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Mahuzz13 likes this.
post #199 of 576 Old 05-02-2019, 05:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Edit: Sorry Owen @OJ Bartley I don’t think I will have much left they quoted me the wrong stuff and actual is 50’ so it will be close for me to actually have enough but I will sure share the company’s info, they are in Brampton close to the airport.

No worries buddy!

That's a huge amount of progress to sneak in before you go, well done! And the good news is you haven't started the cosmetic finishes yet, so when you come back inspired by the Italian architecture you can dive straight into that.

Jk7.2 likes this.
post #200 of 576 Old 05-02-2019, 05:58 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks Owen, it was quite easy to slap it up in the walls. I may have to pick up more duct liner for ceiling clouds if there is to much reflection, then there will definitely be enough for you. Anyways it will be in my garage if you need some at some point

OJ Bartley likes this.
post #201 of 576 Old 05-02-2019, 07:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Quoted: 2248 Post(s)
Liked: 962
Sent you a pm Mahuzz13, you might be able to flesh out that SLIM5 rack, on the cheap, and I'd sure like the name of the airport location you bought the Insul-Hold.

Last edited by Tedd; 05-02-2019 at 07:14 AM.
post #202 of 576 Old 05-03-2019, 05:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks Duane!

And yeah, that insul-hold looks really interesting. The inside of my furnace room likely won't get drywalled and I was considering just putting some mesh netting over the walls to hold the insulation in place, but this would likely work too.

post #203 of 576 Old 05-22-2019, 09:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 101 Post(s)
Quoted: 1673 Post(s)
Liked: 3015
Hey man! What’s going on over there, no updates in a while!
post #204 of 576 Old 05-22-2019, 11:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yeah we're waiting lol

post #205 of 576 Old 05-22-2019, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Well guys there is not much to update, fabric is ordered should be here this week (that’s what is holding me up). Built 2 speaker shelves for my rear surrounds, cleaned up and that’s about it.

Besides a lot of discussions on sub boxes, types and size, not much else

Sorry to disappoint but I have a deadline on getting the fabric done and columns set in place june 11 so I will be very busy once the fabric arrives.

Jk7.2 likes this.
post #206 of 576 Old 05-22-2019, 12:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

It will go really fast. The fabric was one of the easiest things in my room

Mahuzz13 likes this.
post #207 of 576 Old 05-22-2019, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd0823 View Post
It will go really fast. The fabric was one of the easiest things in my room

Well just got confirmation that my fabric will be delivered Friday which is awesome. Can someone please let me know what size staples you use for attaching the fabric and how close do each staple approximately have to be?

post #208 of 576 Old 05-22-2019, 03:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked: 669
I used 3/8" wide x 1/4" deep every 1/2" or so YMMV.
Mahuzz13 likes this.
post #209 of 576 Old 05-22-2019, 04:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Welcome back dude! How was Italy?

post #210 of 576 Old 05-22-2019, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Welcome back dude! How was Italy?

Thanks

Italy what can I say.....trip of a life time. If anyone has a chance to go DO NOT hesitate. The food, the wine, the architecture, the scenery and the people were all amazing.

imrf, femi and OJ Bartley like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page