AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I never thought I would write in this forum about negative issues, but I really need to get it off my chest, somehow to alleviate my frustration and anger.

Let’s start form the beginning.

I’ve been enjoying my LT150 paired with a stand-alone DVD player (Malata), but wanting to get the most out of the projector, I decided to purchase an HTPC.

At first, based on the huge and wonderful information from the forum crowd, I wanted to purchase the recommended hardware via e-tailers to assemble the PC. Then I realized I don’t have the time nor expertise to assemble and configure an HTPC. I seriously considered purchasing a pre-built unit from Digital Connections, the AVS forum, etc, but was discouraged by the steep prices (well, prices I could not afford) of their products; (a decision I later regretted!!!).

But. to my misfortune, I came up with the idea of asking someone whom I considered a very knowledgeable forum member, to assist me on assembling the unit for me.

In early June we agreed on the hardware and software to be included in the set. The deal was for him to purchase the parts, assemble, configure and test the unit; and finally disassembling it for shipping to Florida. A courier service would take it over and ship it down to Venezuela, where I live.

I sent a check in the amount covering HW and SW items plus the agreed built cost fee. He cashed it on June 19th. Current status: After about five months, NOTHING RECEIVED YET.

I have sent quite a few e-mails requesting updates on this matter, but I have only received two mails from him, indicating shipping had been made: the first one indicating shipping on September 25th, and shortly afterwards, another telling me that FedEx had returned the package to his place.

After lots of unanswered overseas phone calls and e-mails, my wife sent a letter requesting this person a total and immediate refund. In response he e-mailed stating a shipping date of Nov 18th, and indicating that he had added a refund check in the package.

…..Still waiting……..

After five months, and more than a thousand of my hard-earned-dollars less in my pocket, and worse yet, no HTPC; imagine how I feel, cheated, very annoyed and frustrated.

And now I find out about an AVS forum power-buy for HTPCs !!!

Ok guys, enough ranting, I just wanted to share my annoyance with respect to this very unfortunate deal, and wish that something of this sort does not happen to any of you out there.

Any word of advice on how to get my money back is incredibly welcome.

Jose

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I think you should ask some AVS friends to go over to his home and drag the money it out of him.

If your side of the story is the full story.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Jose,

Sorry to hear all your problems.

I hope that you will get everything sorted out soon.

In the mean time, building your computer is really not that complicated.

There are plenty of people here with the expertise and the will to help others.

If you decide to build it yourself, I will be happy to help you as well...

I do not know how the moderators of this forum could intervene in your favor with that other member....

I sincerely hope that all this is just a big misunderstanding (even though it seems otherwise...)

Good luck,

Arno

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
scottatl,

thanks for your concern.

I've been waiting 5 months to hear the other side of the story!!!.

This is a big part of the problem. Not knowing the cause of the delay is really frustating.

I can not understand how it could take this much time to assemble and test a HTPC!!.

Cooltalkingfrog, thanks for your support. At this moment I´d wish I had my money back so I could be ordering from the forum.

On the other hand, if miracles happened and I get my package, your help would be most wellcome.

regards, Jose.

·
Registered
697 Posts
hello

give us the guy name \\phone no#\\address\\place of work\\may be each member of the forum will give him a call till he send you th unit.

cause thats not right , he took advantage that you are far away,

on other hand you could get friend who knows about pc`s and help you out to build it. its easy.

i`m sure you have some knowledge about hd=sw you wanna put in to pc. go for it,

mean while you wait for this guy, to see what he want s to do ,

if you have any friends near him tell them to go talk to him,

·
Registered
535 Posts
That's crap! I build PC's all the time and it usually takes me a week to get all the parts and only one day to assemble everything and test it, maybe two if I'm O/Cing and she wants to be contrary. Personally I'd go kick the crap out of the guy and call it even. I actually did that to a store manager in Edmonton who tried to rip me off for $600 and told me to go "F" myself. I'm an I.E.R.T. member so I don't usually let people get away with that. The plane ticket cost me a little over $1000 and I never got my money back but it sure felt good. Hell he never even knew who I was, I just asked for him at the store and when he came out of his office I dropped his ass. It's not about the money, it's about self respect. I'm not necessarily saying you should go beat him up, that's just what I would do but you should pursue any means necessary to get even with this guy. People like this need to be taught a lesson because if you let him get away with it he will do it to someone else. Oh and I would definitely name him on this board, screw his anonymity!

·
Registered
535 Posts
On second thought maybe you should talk to the board moderators before publicly naming the guy because it sure would suck if you got booted while he remained a member.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
While I understand and deeply sympathyse with your problem, I see this thread can serve no useful purpose other than allowing people to vent and maon.

As such I am locking it....

Josesol, If you wish to PM or email me perhaps I can try and 'mediate' a little for you...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.