AVS Forum banner

161 - 180 of 280 Posts

·
Banned
4,171 Posts
Thanks! I appreciate it. Something happened to the bottom of the screen while in storage so I need to figure out how to fix it. But I am pretty proud of how it is coming together!!!
You should be proud!! I have looked forward to every notification since you started. Thanks for sharing your build with all of us.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #165
I need to install the crown molding on the tray ceiling for the LEDs. Any recommendations on how to do this? I have seen someone use a wedge and then put 1x2s on top of that and then attach the crown molding to the wedges. Any other ideas of what works best? The crown molding is only about 3” tall and not terribly heavy.

·
Registered
7,970 Posts
awesome. I'm wondering about the thought process behind spending all that money on the rockwool for the ceiling, when I've read insulation like that mostly doesn't help that much, considering you're also doing clips and channel.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I need to install the crown molding on the tray ceiling for the LEDs. Any recommendations on how to do this? I have seen someone use a wedge and then put 1x2s on top of that and then attach the crown molding to the wedges. Any other ideas of what works best? The crown molding is only about 3” tall and not terribly heavy.
My builder just nailed the bottom of the crown molding to the wall and glued the corners together. Any wood is generally used to direct LED light in a certain direction.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #168 (Edited)
awesome. I'm wondering about the thought process behind spending all that money on the rockwool for the ceiling, when I've read insulation like that mostly doesn't help that much, considering you're also doing clips and channel.
A couple of things. 1. Ignorance/stupidity. 2. There wasn’t any pink fluffy that I could find at my lowes, so I bought what was there (and what I thought would be the best thing at the time) and this was before I had seen the reports about it not doing anything. Then, I ended up going to a drywall supplier for the channel I used for the soffit and happened to see the pink fluffy there and bought a few packs to finish the project.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I put in some insulation that was 6" thick in my ceiling as well. For what the rest of the build cost, I'll take the minor improvements where possible. I think the entire batch cost me ~$200-300 CAD, so it wasn't too bad.

·
Registered
7,970 Posts
thanks all. I'm wondering if an R-30 pink fluffy would be better or worse than a Fire and Sound batting for noise? both cover the same area for the price.

I'm thinking maybe this:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Owens-Corning-R-30-EcoTouch-PINK-Unfaced-Fiberglass-Insulation-Roll-15-in-x-25-ft-RU70/202585906

9.5" thick, for attics - my joists at 9.5" in my basement. I would need about 175 feet in length, of 15" wide insulation. So, something like 8 of these, at $22 apiece. Around $200 with tax. I may do it.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #173
Worst thing you can before all the work is finished is hang the projector

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Yep, I know, but how else are you supposed to calibrate it?!? I only plugged in one speaker and it was awesome! Can’t wait to experience it once I have everything hooked up!

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #174
Have been working on the theater each night late. Got the speakers all hooked up and all equipment installed. Ran a few ATMOS demos and they are really cool. I need to mess with the calibration a bit more. Already ran audessy 3 times. Got the LEDs in place but I have no idea how to hook these up with the automation controller. Need to do some more research. Technically I could watch a movie in there right now but am going to wait. Hope to finish LEDs this Saturday and the final final touches and have the premier on Saturday night, but might sneak one in Friday night....who knows?!?

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #176
What’s your LED conundrum?

Also, it’s insane what you get done in “a little free time.”
Thanks. It’s cathardic to me. I guess you could say it’s my theater yoga!

LEDs. Just never done them before. Never used a Zwave controller or LED dimmer and just trying to figure out home runs, Power controller, etc. I just need time to think through it I guess and process what goes where and hope it works out?!? I hope to get it all figured out on Saturday (May start tomorrow night). Automation will most likely have to wait, but I do have a Zwave dimmer switch for theater lights as well. The building part is easier for me. The tech part takes me some time.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Thanks. It’s cathardic to me. I guess you could say it’s my theater yoga!

LEDs. Just never done them before. Never used a Zwave controller or LED dimmer and just trying to figure out home runs, Power controller, etc. I just need time to think through it I guess and process what goes where and hope it works out?!? I hope to get it all figured out on Saturday (May start tomorrow night). Automation will most likely have to wait, but I do have a Zwave dimmer switch for theater lights as well. The building part is easier for me. The tech part takes me some time.

Right- My least favorite part of anything electrical: you can’t tell it will work purely by looking at it. Totally different than woodwork and metalwork.

You are using the Zwave protocol (i only have about 20 zwave products on my property), which i don’t think makes an addressable controller, so probable RGBW?

Is the controller a Fibraro? How exactly are you controlling your Zwave devices? Seriously, this is totally doable by you.

Edit: One of the great things about home automation: Wire line-neutral everywhere, and you can make any switch control any box.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #178
Right- My least favorite part of anything electrical: you can’t tell it will work purely by looking at it. Totally different than woodwork and metalwork.

You are using the Zwave protocol (i only have about 20 zwave products on my property), which i don’t think makes an addressable controller, so probable RGBW?

Is the controller a Fibraro? How exactly are you controlling your Zwave devices? Seriously, this is totally doable by you.

Edit: One of the great things about home automation: Wire line-neutral everywhere, and you can make any switch control any box.
Man I hope so! I have a 24V power supply to fibaro rgbw dimmer to 3 separate 15 ft runs of LEDs. This will interface (is that the right word?) with a SmartThings hub. I would like to integrate a harmony remote at some point but not anytime soon. Also hope to figure out how to turn everything on and off with the Zwave dimmer switch.

I am assuming your last statement refers to not having a neutral to deal with? And I don’t know what you mean by any switch can control any box? I assume you mean as long as you hook a controller to it? Like I said, I don’t have any experience here but I am sure I will figure it out...

·
Registered
794 Posts
Man I hope so! I have a 24V power supply to fibaro rgbw dimmer to 3 separate 15 ft runs of LEDs. This will interface (is that the right word?) with a SmartThings hub. I would like to integrate a harmony remote at some point but not anytime soon. Also hope to figure out how to turn everything on and off with the Zwave dimmer switch.

I am assuming your last statement refers to not having a neutral to deal with? And I don’t know what you mean by any switch can control any box? I assume you mean as long as you hook a controller to it? Like I said, I don’t have any experience here but I am sure I will figure it out...

24V 15 foot runs should be easy to drive; you won’t need any additional power lines to contend with voltage drop.

Fibraro’s rgbw controller has been around for some time, it’s pretty reliable in one of my test beds (albeit it has tons of wires that can shake loose).

SmarthThings is a pretty user friendly ecosystem for Zwave devices; I suspect you will have no problem “including the Fibraro into your Zwave controller” (that’s the lingo used for Zwave). Unless you have a lot of other Zwave devices, try to ensure the SmartThings hub is in the same room as the Fibraros.

Sorry if I made things more confusing with the last sentence. Restated- home automation is great because you get flexibility with things like wall switches. As long as you have the Fibraro powered, you can use a Zwave wireless wall switch anywhere you want without dropping new romex cable.

Q: Can you post a detail of how you attached your crown molding?

Everything looks really great

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #180
24V 15 foot runs should be easy to drive; you won’t need any additional power lines to contend with voltage drop.

Fibraro’s rgbw controller has been around for some time, it’s pretty reliable in one of my test beds (albeit it has tons of wires that can shake loose).

SmarthThings is a pretty user friendly ecosystem for Zwave devices; I suspect you will have no problem “including the Fibraro into your Zwave controller” (that’s the lingo used for Zwave). Unless you have a lot of other Zwave devices, try to ensure the SmartThings hub is in the same room as the Fibraros.

Sorry if I made things more confusing with the last sentence. Restated- home automation is great because you get flexibility with things like wall switches. As long as you have the Fibraro powered, you can use a Zwave wireless wall switch anywhere you want without dropping new romex cable.

Q: Can you post a detail of how you attached your crown molding?

Everything looks really great
Thanks. I am going to home run all the strands so there is not possible loss of power to them. I might do some work on it later tonight but we will see. Concerning the crown molding, I used this https://www.kregtool.com/store/c47/saw-accessories/p265/crown-protrade/ which made the cuts really easy. Then it was lite enough that I just used my brad nailer with some 2” brads and nailed it on the bottom where the flat part met the wall. I glued all seams with wood glue. It has been holding just fine and I stuffed a 1x2 behind it and nothing moved. I can’t post any more pictures until I subscribe to tapatalk.... :(

161 - 180 of 280 Posts