AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i got a worn blue 07mp off of ebay with a bare neck. I was wondering if anyone had any links to a howto on removing and installing the electrostatic and other elements to the "new tube"

tube is replacing one that had a burn in the center and wear (looks like a program crashed once) an old FEMA confrence room projector.

heres a picture of the "new" tube

thanks.

btw searching didnt help...

·
Registered
345 Posts
Saletel,

congrats on the purchase (you were bidding against me on Ebay for that tube ;) )

Changing the elements isn't as difficult as it looks.

I don't have any link for for changing Sony tubes, but here is some general advice...

I have never done it on a 12xx, i have done it on a 1292.

On a '92 it is easy as all the elements butt up against each other, you don't need to worry about spacing them out.

As far as I know (and I haven't done one yet) on the 7" 12xx's the elements are spaced out along the length of the neck. i would suggest taking some measurements of the existing tube to then mark with pencil or tape (temporarily!) onto the new tube neck so that when you slide the elements onto the new tube from the old, that you match the original spacing.

You also have the green tube sitting next to in when mounted for reference.

Be VERY careful no to overtighten any of the yoke or other fasteners, as you will crush the tube neck!

(BTW if you see any other Blue 07mp tubes for sale, send me an email or PM)

·
Banned
2,582 Posts
I have done SD-187 tubes which I beleive are compatible with the 07MP. In that they are almost the same tube just the 07MP is the brighter of the two.

In saying that the coils and yolks should "slip" right on the neck and butt against each other. They do on the SD-187 and the spacing needed is automaticly set when you but the coils and yolks up to one another.

Larry "Listre" if I am spelling that right has a website with info I wrote on tube swapping for the 1031Q. The websie is something like eboyztoys.com. Im not sure but someone will post the right address Im sure. This wright up, I think I have it on disc somewhere explains in detail how to remove replace and defung SD-187 tubes and it might be some help to you.

E mail me if you need some info if I can find the disc I have it saved on.

[email protected]

Oh yea, and this is my 1000th post WOO HOO :)

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i think thats the 07ms or something. anyway so i just losen clamps and the elements shoulc come off?

·
Registered
345 Posts
yes, just loosen and they slide right off.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Pasey, do you know if it has double sided tape on the neck like the tubes for the 1000 series?

-Eric

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Eric,

It's not double sided tape. It's just that the clamps have become stuck to the cloth tape. You have to CAREFULLY twist the assembly's back and forth to rock the plastic tabs loose from the tape. Take your time. The magnetics can get really stuck on there after a few years.

Marc

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.