AVS Forum banner

does yours buzz and do you care

• it buzzes and it bothers me at my main viewing location

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • it buzzes slightly, not noticeable at my main viewing location, not worried

• sometimes i hear a buzzing at my main viewing location, sometimes i don't, not worried

• it does not buzz at all

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • other, please describe

Votes: 0 0.0%
3421 - 3440 of 3454 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
So an update on my many (posted) adventures with Samsung. Long story short, I had 3 service visits, and the Plasma was still giving me a headache, so I called their executive customer service line and they scheduled a pickup for the TV. They are taking it off my hands and sending me a check for the price of the TV (unfortunately sans tax.)

I now am the proud owner of a Samsung 7-Series 55" LED. I'm very happy now, but the whole debacle cost me $300 in tax and many hours setting up service requests.

IF YOU HAVE SENSITIVE EARS, DON'T BUY AN 8-SERIES PLASMA!

·
Registered
721 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbman /forum/post/18599649

so an update on my many (posted) adventures with samsung. Long story short, i had 3 service visits, and the plasma was still giving me a headache, so i called their executive customer service line and they scheduled a pickup for the tv. They are taking it off my hands and sending me a check for the price of the tv (unfortunately sans tax.)

i now am the proud owner of a samsung 7-series 55" led. I'm very happy now, but the whole debacle cost me $300 in tax and many hours setting up service requests.

If you have sensitive ears, don't buy an 8-series plasma!

wtf?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Hey guys. My 90 days at Costco is up in a few days on my 58b540. I have the buzz, but I only hear it when I sit directly in front of the tv, head mid-screen, at about 10-11 feet. I don't hear it at any other position.

I know only I can answer this, but I'm looking for some advice. Should I return it and get something else that doesn't buzz? I think all electronics buzz to some extent, but they certainly don't all buzz directionally like this one. For the money ($1,499 + tax), I don't think I can get anything close in terms of size and picture quality.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

e

·
Registered
515 Posts
If it does not detract from your enjoyment, then keep it.

Out of curiosity, would you have even noticed it at all, had you not read about it here on AVS?? Of if you noticed it, would it bother you to the point of considering to return it??

·
Registered
1 Posts
Raise it up another 13.5 inches and you wont here the buzz any more? maybe? that worked for our veiwing angle. But I can aim the 58inch speaker and hear the buzz 40 feet away. Oh!! you already traded it in i'm too slow good luck.

·
Registered
227 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by syd123 /forum/post/18602052

If it does not detract from your enjoyment, then keep it.

Out of curiosity, would you have even noticed it at all, had you not read about it here on AVS?? Of if you noticed it, would it bother you to the point of considering to return it??

Absolutely not. I never would have noticed it.

The one thing I do notice, however, particularly during hockey games, is that the picture is relatively dim compared to my Sony LCD. I've got the Samsung set on Dynamic mode and it's still not bright. This, coupled with the buzz, might be enough to make me return it.

·
Registered
515 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-man22 /forum/post/18602387

Absolutely not. I never would have noticed it.

The one thing I do notice, however, particularly during hockey games, is that the picture is relatively dim compared to my Sony LCD. I've got the Samsung set on Dynamic mode and it's still not bright. This, coupled with the buzz, might be enough to make me return it.

Ha! Interesting you should mention that! ..I'm not much of a hockey fan but we have a team in the playoffs so last night I tuned in - the first time I've watched a hockey game in quite some time and the first time on our new 860. I too thought it was a bit dim on the plasma. ..But when I went to our bedroom and turned it on on our Toshiba LCD I found it was no brighter (or is so, just barely). ..I'm not a photographer, but maybe because the ice is so white the camera's settings are adjusted to strike a mid-point balance b/w the ice and players?

As for the TV's buzz, even if mine buzzed 2x as loud, it would still be less noticeable - to my ears anyway - than the projectors noise at a movie theater. ..Yet, you seldom hear people complain about this.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just wanted to share my experience so far with my pn50b860. After reading many reviews (including the buzz ones) I picked up the last set in a box at one of my local stores. I don't like purchasing large electronics over the web just on principle. Anyway -

I brought it home, plugged it in and BUZZZZZZZ. It was a noticeable "electric" sounding buzz similar to a florescent light. The volume of the buzz varied depending on what was being displayed on the screen, and at times it was unnoticeable. This was clearly a let down since I had read that not all tv's buzz.

I looked further into the buzz since it sounded like there were different types of buzzes going on. I found a video that had the same "florescent" buzz that I heard, and I found another that had the "rattle" buzz, or mechanical buzz that has also been described. I also read about due to the thinness of the set, the "normal plasma buzz" could be the cause of the buzz. I can completely understand that charging a 50 in pane of fairly thin glass might just generate a bit of a noise, and so I set about trying to ignore the buzz as much as possible.

After about a week I realized that it was just going to be too much and I was going nuts when bright scenes would display and the buzz would double in volume. The wknd that I was considering taking it back, I decided to try one last thing based on another post about grounded sources. See I have the tv plugged into a power strip and that via a 3-to-2 prong adapter into a non-grounded wall socket (I have an old house, 1925, w/old outlets all over the place). You can all start laughing at me now, it's ok. So I ran an extension cord from a newer, grounded outlet to the living room and plugged in the tv. No buzz. Well, a little hum, but now it didn't change pitch or volume when the scene changed. It was a consistent, low "sizzle" almost. I felt MUCH better about what I was experiencing at this point and decided that I would hold out for another week and see what happens.

Now another week into very moderate viewing (3 hours a night after 2.5 weeks), I have noticed that even that faint electrical "sizzle-buzz" is at times not noticeable, even when I have the stereo on mute. I can still hear it sometimes, especially during the news when there is little or no background noise, but it is certainly not as bad and I swear completely goes away at times.

What can we take away? Make sure your set is properly grounded for sure. Other than that, who knows. I have just read a ton of speculation and opinions on this site, so I figured I would weigh in with my experience. Sufficed to say, I think there is a definite electronic buzz, but feel that this may be due to the thinness of the set, and since that is part of the design, shouldn't be considered a defect. Now, the mechanical buzz that I have read about could be something completely different, but I have no experience with that so I cannot comment.

Coming from a Hitachi 43fwx20b that made all kinds of "warming up" noises (and had an incredible picture), I am extremely satisfied. Just watched Body of Lies last night and it was beautiful. I cannot wait to get it calibrated.

Cheers!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just got my PN50C6400 from FS (canada, ottawa) after returning my b850 because of loud directional buzzing. I got it on a one day sale for 1299...

So about the BUZZ....It still buzzes but its not directional. When I get about 4 feet away from the TV the buzz sound drops significantly. As well....I cant hear it at all when the volume is over 20. The buzz is not close to being as bad as it was on the b850. It seems like they haven't fix the buzz but they have more padding in the back to control the buzz. It seems now that the buzz is more circular with a radius of about 4 feet...compared to the directional buzz of the b850 that came straight out of the front of the TV and can be heard over 14 feet with the volume on 27.

All and all I am very happy with the set. It has the same great pic, with excellent color, and good blacks...absolutely no IR even after leaving the TV on for hours on a Channel with logos in the corner...The picture seems brighter (cell light can go up to 20) so its great for day time viewing and it seems to have a little bit of a better filter than the b850....

Also the thinness and the design is still amazing me specially since I paid 1299...this TV looks better in design and picture than most LED's for a lot less in price in both picture and design...

I definitely recommend at least getting this TV in your home to see for yourself in case I just got lucky...If you want this TV watch FS and BB website for a one day sale...I am sure theyll have another one but right now its still priced at 1699.

I hated Samsung but now I love them....

·
Registered
2 Posts
As mentioned before, I have a buzzer. After countless phone calls, Samsung is finally swapping out my 58B650 for a 58C650.

My first service call, the guy claimed not to hear the buzzing. For the second, a different company took the TV away for four weeks, replacing a couple of parts (HDMI board and one other), to no avail. After arguing with the folks at Samsung's ECR (they basically told me I was at a dead end), finally they agreed to set up a third service call. At first, they told me I'd have to pay for the service if my TV turned up "normal" by their standards. Eventually, they relented on that point.

I soon heard from a company called Gurus to Go, and somehow it was a matter as simple as punching in my model #, serial # and figuring out when the unit was manufactured. The woman on the phone was the first person I'd dealt with who acknowledged the existence of the buzzing problem. Incredible that it took several months to get here, but I did. She said that her techs would look at the unit information and then decide what to do. In other words, they never even had to look at my TV. The next business day, I got a couple of emails stating that my exchange request had been approved.

Obviously, I have no idea whether the new unit will be an improvement, and I will post my results here. But if nothing else, please take this as a lesson not to give up even when the ECR says there's nothing further they can do. If your TV drives you nuts, keep plugging away!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got the PN58B860 (Batch BU03, December 2009, Product of Mexico) this past April. I started hearing the buzz in a couple of weeks. It was not a constant buzz, it would come on about 30 minutes after the TV was powered on. Also, the buzz would get louder sometimes, and then diminish or go away, and then come back on. This seemed to happen based on what scene was on the screen. This buzz was happening with the volume turned up, meaning I could hear the buzz over the normal sound from the TV broadcast.

So I called the store where I bought the TV from and they shipped me another one, same model PN58B860. This one does not have the buzz. Now there is a very slight buzz, but I only can hear it when the TV is on mute and that also only if I trying to listen for it. The batch number, month/year and location of manufacture were the same as the one with the buzz.

My conclusion is that some of the TV's have this defect. Another note, my parents have the same exact TV model, and they don't have a buzz on thiers.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Wow, glad I didn't wait for a solution and just returned this TV 6 months ago. I feel for everyone experiencing these buzzing problems. I don't think there will ever be a solution and I don't think Samsung should still be selling it.

The only positive that came from it is the $80 cash back from bing that I got to keep because they didn't know I returned it.

Very happy with my 58" panasonic plasma

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
My buzz is still around during high level white scenes. All I can say is that my next display will definitely not be a plasma. The amount of dissipated heat is also a factor. It's not an overriding concern, but still part of the equation.

·
Registered
153 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekGirl /forum/post/18952040

My buzz is still around during high level white scenes. All I can say is that my next display will definitely not be a plasma. The amount of dissipated heat is also a factor. It's not an overriding concern, but still part of the equation.

To be fair, I switched from a Samsung plasma over to a Pioneer and the buzz is severely diminished, almost completely inaudible, and the heat output is far, far less as well. My samsung felt like a furnace.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I purchased my PS50B550 about 9 months ago now, and the buzzing has been getting progressively worse... It wasn't too bad initially, although is definitely beyond acceptable levels now.

Suffice to say, I'm in the process of submitting a warrantly claim through Samsung.

3421 - 3440 of 3454 Posts