AVS Forum banner

does yours buzz and do you care

• it buzzes and it bothers me at my main viewing location

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • it buzzes slightly, not noticeable at my main viewing location, not worried

• sometimes i hear a buzzing at my main viewing location, sometimes i don't, not worried

• it does not buzz at all

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • other, please describe

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
3441 - 3454 of 3454 Posts

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
My buzz has gotten slightly worse since July. Since it's over a year old, I'll be using the credit card's buyer protection plan to cover claims. I'm not ready to make a claim yet. If I had to decide today, my next display will not be a plasma.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I also bought a Samsung Plasma, PN58C590 here in canada @ visions Electronics. When I mentioned the buzz to my sales guy 2 days after I bought it, he immediately said they would swap it for a new one. They would deliver ect. I asked him if the "new" one also buzzes what then? he did not seem surprised about the buzz issue, in fact he stated that the LG's & Panasonics don't buzz. So if the newer Samsung buzzes, he said I could get an LG 60PK950 for $100 more. Won't know until the 14th of January about the new Samsung.

·
Registered
7 Posts
So Okay, okay. Instead of getting another Samsung Plasma, getting a Samsung LN60C630 LCD instead, no change in $$. I hope the picture looks good, of course the sales guy told me the picture will look great & definately no buzzing noise!

I am a bit nervous, as I did all my research on Plasmas, so I don't know much about the LCD or LED's. Will update after I've seen it.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crpl_Hicks /forum/post/19800743

So Okay, okay. Instead of getting another Samsung Plasma, getting a Samsung LN60C630 LCD instead, no change in $$. I hope the picture looks good, of course the sales guy told me the picture will look great & definately no buzzing noise!

I am a bit nervous, as I did all my research on Plasmas, so I don't know much about the LCD or LED's. Will update after I've seen it.

You might want to do more research then... Most manufacturers are pushing LED over LCD for a reason. Specifically, you might want to take a look at LED with local dimming. Finally, LEDs and LCDs can also buzz. Quick google search will confirm this.

·
Registered
169 Posts
50B560 mine like many others is just a few weeks shy of 1 year old and the buzz had gotten increasingly worse in the past month! It wasnt noticeable before but now it is especially at night when the volume is low! I live in a 1000sq ft apt and its not mounted on the wall. I dont care what the deal is I'm in love with the sammy plasmas this pdp makes me cry sometimes at the beautiful color and pop i get from it. Does anyone know if they ship back a new tv or have someone repair it? It would be a shame to have to break it back in
PS everyone should watch Boardwalk Empire on these Sammy PDPs the colors and blacks make the picture seem to jump right out of the screen!! update: I checked my decibel levels...32db at full power white screen It doesnt sound like much but it was not this noticeable before

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well I just swapped out the buzzing 58" Samsung Plasma for a Samsung LCD LN60C630. Not a peep, buzzing wise. The picture looks good, but I think at heart I still like the plasma. Out of the box, the plasma picture looked great, The LCD needed some tweeking & I'm still adjusting the display settings.

Outwardly, it's identical. The LCD picture just doesn't seem to have the same "pop" as the plasma. I guess if I never had the plasma for a couple of weeks I wouldn't have anything to compare the LCD too.

But I am happy & once it's fine tuned, the 60" will be cinamatic "glory"

·
Registered
65 Posts
"50B560 mine like many others is just a few weeks shy of 1 year old and the buzz had gotten increasingly worse in the past month! [...] I dont care what the deal is I'm in love with the sammy plasmas this pdp makes me cry sometimes at the beautiful color and pop i get from it."

Mine one-month-one-week old PS50B550 no buzzes. I have no heard the least annoying noise.

I'm not frightened at the idea of getting things worse, because my PS50B550 won't do it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi there people.I have a panosinis(G25) and samsung(PN50C540) plasma.The samsung is a bit louder. Ionly really hear it on low volumm levels.I installed a acoustic sound panel behind the TV on the wall to absorb the buzz so to speak (I have 6 inches between the plasma and the wall for ventalation purposes.I can barely notice now.I find the picture a bit better on the samsung compared to the panosonic.Theres a few more options on the samsung also.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Besides the Samsung, we also have a Panny 42" that makes more a typical plasma hum that I can hear when I poke my head behind the screen, but once you go & sit down I can't hear anything. The way it should be. I thought about some acoustical material to absorb the sound, but then I thought....forget it, I paid enough money, I shouldn't have to "modify" the TV to work properly!

And besides the Panny doesn't have this problem. I agree the Sammy Plasma picture was great, but I'm not going though the hassle of returning & modifying to make it work.

Maybe a better idea, is for Samsung to acknowledge the plasma has issues & fix it??? That's why I said, "Take it back, thanks".

·
Registered
7 Posts
okay, I have had the Samsung LN60C630 for a couple of weeks now & have been tweeking the settings. I do like the picture, the only issue I have is that I notice a slight bright spot @ the lower left & upper right of the screen. Noticable during dark sceens & during 2:35 playback. But I see that cnet also noticed this.

But Blu rays & HD tv does look great!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Oddly enough, I was looking @ a new receiver & the sales guy who sold me the Samsund plasma showed me about 8 TVs in the warehouse that have been returned since Christmas, mostly Samsung plasmas for noise issues. Only 1 was an LED & 1 was an LG.

Go figure.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My 63" buzzer recently got louder and louder, to the point where I couldn't concentrate on dialogue anymore. In addition the buzz came through my speakers via my Denon receiver; it got so bad I could no longer use the surround sound. I tried EVERYTHING, including power conditioners, special grounding, EMI shielding, acoustic foam on walls, etc. and a whole bunch of other stuff to no avail. 2 year old TV, and I'm about to drag it to the curb. Had a repair guy come out. He said Y board, but the boss said to replace entire panel (which comes with X and Y and daughter boards). $1200. He told me not to do it! Get a new TV, with warranty... or call Samsung and complain. So I called them, explained the situation and they agreed it was not acceptable. Gave me a 90 day warranty and agreed to pay for all repair work!! I was stunned!!! I didn't expect that at all. So the repair guy ordered the parts and came and swapped the panel last Saturday. Wow, what a job. Most of the guts of the TV are brand new now. The new boards looked nearly identical to the old ones, but I did find a few differences - a coil that is thicker and has a different number... stuff like that. The TV is now SILENT!!! Sure there's some normal plasma noises if you put your ear to the back, but nothing like it was. In fact it is much quieter than when it was brand new. And the picture is insane... I'm in love with my TV once again.

Sorry to update an old thread, but I thought this was important to share. My theory is these TVs don't have any active cooling, and may have received panels that draw more current than they were supposed to. So over time they cook themselves to death; the components loosen up, coils loosen, and it vibrate more than it should. Oh yah - my Denon is back to being silent... no buzz through speakers. I'm gonna assumed it was EMI leaking from the TV, and now there's none. Who knows, but life is good again. Samsung did a good thing for me. I won't hesitate to buy another one, especially since it seems they worked out the kinks on this model and didn't abandon it.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
That's good to know. My 63" is still buzzing, but it's not all that loud - only occasionally annoying. My next display probably won't be a plasma due to the excessive heat dissipation. I'll re-evaluate when it's time to replace.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thought I would post this after endlessly searching the net for a solution to this problem... I am not claiming this is the solution by any means, but it stopped my annoying buzz...

I took the back cover off my PN50B860 and listened carefully to the source of the buzzing.. It seemed to be coming from the upper right corner (when looking at the screen side).. The board that has the warnings written on it "High Voltage" was naturally the first place I started poking around WITH A PLASTIC KNIFE!!.. When I touched the uppermost ribbon cable the buzz went away.. It seems that the cable is touching the metal frame of the TV.. Once I had a little separation the buzz was gone. I simply stuck a non conductive hypoallergenic super synthetic spacer in between the cable and the frame (A piece of self adhesive Velcro, the soft side).. Fixed.

This may not be the answer for everyone.. But it might be worth a look. Just be EXTREMELY careful poking around in your TV for obvious reasons.

I have photos of the fix, but the forum image size limit and not having any photo editing software is a bummer!

3441 - 3454 of 3454 Posts