AVS Forum banner

does yours buzz and do you care

• it buzzes and it bothers me at my main viewing location

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • it buzzes slightly, not noticeable at my main viewing location, not worried

• sometimes i hear a buzzing at my main viewing location, sometimes i don't, not worried

• it does not buzz at all

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • other, please describe

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
21 - 40 of 3454 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Tebo /forum/post/16408487

58B560. Buzzes only when sitting directly in front of the middle of the TV, and it still annoys me. Because of that I no longer sit in that spot.

I also noticed that the buzzing is much more audible when I am right in front of the screen, even if I'm more than 10 feet away. There is a height where the buzzing is loudest as well. Unfortunately, that's the ideal viewing location for me. I don't know whether my set is bad, or it's normal for these sets to have such loud buzz. My thought is it's normal for this TV. In this case, it's a deal breaker. After watching the TV for a while, I felt so relieve when it's off because of the buzzing.

·
Registered
517 Posts
It's the same way with Pioneers, and probably others as well. What I'm still not sure of is whether some wall treatments would help or not. Others have suggested it would not help because the sound comes directly from the screen and doesn't bounce off the walls anyway. The Samsung tech I spoke with though it would help.

·
Registered
152 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Tebo /forum/post/16409494

It's the same way with Pioneers, and probably others as well. What I'm still not sure of is whether some wall treatments would help or not. Others have suggested it would not help because the sound comes directly from the screen and doesn't bounce off the walls anyway. The Samsung tech I spoke with though it would help.

Probably won't help. Currently, my 650 is sitting on top of a TV stand, and right behind it is a Luxia 55B6000. I cover the Luxia with a thick comforter to kind of act as a wall treatment, but that does not help with the buzz at all.

It's strange that many people are not bother by this. When my wife walked by the TV room, I asked her whether she can hear the buzz, and she said it's loud, which I agree. Oh! Well! I don't think I'm that picky, but seems like it's not easy to find a big TV that would fit well in a dark and quiet room

·
Registered
97 Posts
I only hear the buzz when I am fiddling with connections on my receiver, i.e. when I am behind the TV and close to it. For me it's not a problem at all.

·
Registered
517 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by seowfun /forum/post/16410226

Probably won't help. Currently, my 650 is sitting on top of a TV stand, and right behind it is a Luxia 55B6000. I cover the Luxia with a thick comforter to kind of act as a wall treatment, but that does not help with the buzz at all.

It's strange that many people are not bother by this. When my wife walked by the TV room, I asked her whether she can hear the buzz, and she said it's loud, which I agree. Oh! Well! I don't think I'm that picky, but seems like it's not easy to find a big TV that would fit well in a dark and quiet room

I tried something similar just to experement - put a heavy blanket over the back for a few seconds, and it didn't change the front buzzing at all. Put it over the front, and the buzzing was gone. It slightly degraded the picture while draped on the front though.

·
Registered
517 Posts
For those who don't hear any buzzing - do me a favor and try this. Pace off exactly 12 feet in front of the TV, and position your noggin so it is square in the middle of the TV, so you would be able to see your reflection exactly in the middle. Turn the volume all the way off, with the TV on a normal channel, and tell me if you can hear any buzzing. Then move to the side a few feet, and try again. I can't imagine my hearing is all that great, and that my TV is any different than the others. Also let me know if you have a 50" or 58", as that seems to effect it.

·
Registered
176 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Tebo /forum/post/16410901

For those who don't hear any buzzing - do me a favor and try this. Pace off exactly 12 feet in front of the TV, and position your noggin so it is square in the middle of the TV, so you would be able to see your reflection exactly in the middle. Turn the volume all the way off, with the TV on a normal channel, and tell me if you can hear any buzzing. Then move to the side a few feet, and try again. I can't imagine my hearing is all that great, and that my TV is any different than the others. Also let me know if you have a 50" or 58", as that seems to effect it.

I only have a 42" but no I can't hear any buzzing at all and that is from 12ft., 12 paces would be even farther.

·
Registered
983 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by seowfun /forum/post/16409070

I also noticed that the buzzing is much more audible when I am right in front of the screen, even if I'm more than 10 feet away. There is a height where the buzzing is loudest as well. Unfortunately, that's the ideal viewing location for me. I don't know whether my set is bad, or it's normal for these sets to have such loud buzz. My thought is it's normal for this TV. In this case, it's a deal breaker. After watching the TV for a while, I felt so relieve when it's off because of the buzzing.

This is exactly what I have. I actually turn it very slightly to the left or right to project the buzzing away from me a little. I can't imagine how bad the 63" inch. i am guessing the bigger the worse the buzzing is.

·
Registered
3,447 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasveteran /forum/post/16422846

Samsungs are too cheap for anyone to care.

No, more like the Sammies are better built. You'll never find a 6000 page threads on those topics.

·
Registered
3,447 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolanski /forum/post/16428026

Wow another elitist and from Texas!

What display do you watch?

Washington veteran

He's a kuro guy who's had to make exchanges due to quality issues. I'm sure everytime he's at a BestBuy a little voice tells him, I coulda had a Sammy!

·
Registered
14,664 Posts
This is a great thread as I am very interested in the B560. But if the new Samsungs have buzzing issues than I might stay with Panasonic. But my Panny TH-50PH9UK does have slight fan noise though. I sit dead center 8' away and by the posts here it sounds like that is where the buzz would be the loudest. I do not want to buy the B560, change the wall mount and then have an issue with the B560 buzzing.

Is there a difference when the Samsungs are wall mounted opposed to being on a stand further away from the wall? Does it seem like the buzz is radiating of the glass rather than from the rear of the panel? Could it possibly be from the speakers (wishful thinking
)? Has anyone returned their panel due to the buzzing issue? If I did buy the B560 I would make sure it was noted on the invoice that if there is an issue with buzzing I can return it.

Bill

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac /forum/post/16430605

This is a great thread as I am very interested in the B560. But if the new Samsungs have buzzing issues than I might stay with Panasonic. But my Panny TH-50PH9UK does have slight fan noise though. I sit dead center 8' away and by the posts here it sounds like that is where the buzz would be the loudest. I do not want to buy the B560, change the wall mount and then have an issue with the B560 buzzing.

Is there a difference when the Samsungs are wall mounted opposed to being on a stand further away from the wall? Does it seem like the buzz is radiating of the glass rather than from the rear of the panel? Could it possibly be from the speakers (wishful thinking
)? Has anyone returned their panel due to the buzzing issue? If I did buy the B560 I would make sure it was noted on the invoice that if there is an issue with buzzing I can return it.

Bill

my 560 is on a stand about 10-12 inches away from the back wall, and i sit between 6 and 7.5 feet away. the very very slight buzzing that i sometimes hear does not bother me at all. i love this display.

·
Registered
517 Posts
The buzzing I'm referring to definitely comes from the front of the panel, and is highly directional. As I understand it, all Plasmas create this sound, some more than others. (See 50 page Kuro buzzing thread) I'm getting used to mine, though I also try not to sit directly in front of it now.

21 - 40 of 3454 Posts