AVS Forum banner

does yours buzz and do you care

• it buzzes and it bothers me at my main viewing location

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • it buzzes slightly, not noticeable at my main viewing location, not worried

• sometimes i hear a buzzing at my main viewing location, sometimes i don't, not worried

• it does not buzz at all

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • other, please describe

Votes: 0 0.0%
1161 - 1180 of 3454 Posts

·
Registered
2,475 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddlwitte /forum/post/17079420

bought 2 Samsung PN58B550T2.

plasma's manufacture date July 2009.

Both have a loud buzz that sounds as though it is coming from the front of the screen. both are mounted on the wall.

identical sanus wall mounts

identical 58" samsung tvs

both Tv's hooked up to Comcast

only 3 serial numbers apart.

I can hear the BUZZ when the TV volume level is at 10.

I called Samsung for help- the CSR said she never heard of a problem as i have described. I informed her that this is being discussed on web forums. She still claims doesn't know anything about it.

Is there any hope to get rid of the BUZZ? perhaps we need legal council to start a class action suit. I am not interested in anything more than just getting rid of the BUZZ.

any1 have a solution?

Thank you

Todd Witte

York, PA

Is 10 your normal listening volume? Or if not, do you still hear it at your normal volume? We average 20 at our house and no one but me can hear the buzz and I don't hear it at a level I consider distracting. But I appear to be in the lucky majority without a problem set

Samsung customer service in North America still seems clueless about the issue as others have noted.

There are two different types of buzzing different people are experiencing. Some are getting a mechanical buzz that can be relieved by pressure on the back of the set or strategically placed rubber (installed by a tech). Others are getting a louder than normal electrical buzz that is louder when the set is displaying a lot of white or light color and appears to be intensified by the display itself, acting as a parabolic antenna to a sweet spot directly in front of the set and about 10-12 feet away. To be clear, even those only hearing a normal plasma buzz have it louder in this sweet spot. The difference between normal and problem is normal is not easily detectable above typical program volume and the problem buzz is distracting people even at higher volumes. It sounds like you have the latter which is not likely to be solved by pressure on the back of the set, but it may be worth a little experimenting to find out. Also, even if customer service acts clueless about the buzz you can still get them to come out and others have had this lead to replacements. If nothing else you will be on record as having a problem set if/when they do fix it.

Good luck.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I just muted it and turned off everything in my house and I can hear a very small buzz, its not loud at all, sounds almost like an electric razor in the next room

·
Registered
60 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainofiron /forum/post/17076418

brand new PN50B650 bought August 2009, no buzzing, no noises at all.

Your the 2nd person to report the August 2009 building being a non-buzzer. Looks like the August 2009 build score is: 2(non-buzzers) to 0(buzzers). Wonder if the August build has rubber pads on the y-board.

·
Registered
93 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baptizer /forum/post/17082784

Your the 2nd person to report the August 2009 building being a non-buzzer. Looks like the August 2009 build score is: 2(non-buzzers) to 0(buzzers). Wonder if the August build has rubber pads on the y-board.

I'm not sure his TV was built in August but was bought in August.

·
Registered
186 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpsmash /forum/post/17085363

how do you tell when the TV was built?

When I entered the entire serial number on Samsung site to register it, a date appeared next to the textbox. I believe that's the exact date.

But behind the TV where you have the serial, there also you can see the MFD/Fabrique month & year. BTW, I bought my TV 2 weeks ago and it has a manufactured date of 6/30/2009.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I just registered my TV on the samsung site, it says manufacture date is 5/19/2009.

like I said before, the buzzing is almost non-existent with the TV muted, you can hear it, but you have to be really close, and the A/C off

·
Registered
93 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citivas /forum/post/17081491

Is 10 your normal listening volume? Or if not, do you still hear it at your normal volume? We average 20 at our house and no one but me can hear the buzz and I don't hear it at a level I consider distracting. But I appear to be in the lucky majority without a problem set

Samsung customer service in North America still seems clueless about the issue as others have noted.

There are two different types of buzzing different people are experiencing. Some are getting a mechanical buzz that can be relieved by pressure on the back of the set or strategically placed rubber (installed by a tech). Others are getting a louder than normal electrical buzz that is louder when the set is displaying a lot of white or light color and appears to be intensified by the display itself, acting as a parabolic antenna to a sweet spot directly in front of the set and about 10-12 feet away. To be clear, even those only hearing a normal plasma buzz have it louder in this sweet spot. The difference between normal and problem is normal is not easily detectable above typical program volume and the problem buzz is distracting people even at higher volumes. It sounds like you have the latter which is not likely to be solved by pressure on the back of the set, but it may be worth a little experimenting to find out. Also, even if customer service acts clueless about the buzz you can still get them to come out and others have had this lead to replacements. If nothing else you will be on record as having a problem set if/when they do fix it.

Good luck.

i'm not sure this is quite right. i have a buzz that gets noticeably louder when white is on the screen, but it is lessened when i press against the back of the set. moreover, i do not notice a difference whether or not i'm in the sweet spot. thus, this seems to be a combination of the two forms you mentioned above.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowreign /forum/post/17087513

i'm not sure this is quite right. i have a buzz that gets noticeably louder when white is on the screen, but it is lessened when i press against the back of the set. moreover, i do not notice a difference whether or not i'm in the sweet spot. thus, this seems to be a combination of the two forms you mentioned above.

Doesn't surprise me. Over time people have reported every variation of the buzz issue. Suffice it to say there are some that have all the same symptoms as you and cannot impact it no matter how hard they press and in how many areas. I was an early suggester of the vibration resonance issue and suggesting pressing the set. Yet I spent 30 minutes pressing mine in probably several hundren points and it has absolutely zero impact on my buzz, yet mine is definitely affected by the whiteness of the screen, etc...

·
Registered
237 Posts
took receipt of my replacement 860, and unfortunately, its worse than the last one. this one not only has directional, but also a room filling buzz too. picture is great though

date built (according to sticker on back): AUGUST 2009! (my last one was july)

firmware: 1011

BB delivery guys even acknowledged it, and were kind enough to say, "if i paid that kind of money, i would get something that works".

i'm at a loss... this tv's picture is awesome to me, but i can't live with that much buzz. back to the drawing board.

·
Registered
28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arc3 /forum/post/17087720

took receipt of my replacement 860, and unfortunately, its worse than the last one. this one not only has directional, but also a room filling buzz too. picture is great though

date built (according to sticker on back): AUGUST 2009! (my last one was july)

firmware: 1011

BB delivery guys even acknowledged it, and were kind enough to say, "if i paid that kind of money, i would get something that works".

i'm at a loss... this tv's picture is awesome to me, but i can't live with that much buzz. back to the drawing board.

Sigh, sorry to hear that Arc3. I've heard people saying later builds around August do not have BUzz. Mine was July and returned to BB.

THe reason why I kept coming back in this thread was in hope of the August build really has the fix and I still is within 30days of my pana65V10 (eventhough I love the set so far and it's really quiet even when I turn the volume all the way down to 0). I still like how Samsung's design and thinese but buzz is really going to turn me off every single min I hear it.

I just finished break-in slides and started exploring the calibration settings. I would recommend v10 if you really cannot stand the buzz. or you might have to wait on the Sammy's LED 8500(real local dimming one) but it will be at least 4k+ and probably at 55inch.

Let me know what you end up doing and wish you the best luck.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhsiao /forum/post/17088210

Sigh, sorry to hear that Arc3. I've heard people saying later builds around August do not have BUzz. Mine was July and returned to BB.

THe reason why I kept coming back in this thread was in hope of the August build really has the fix and I still is within 30days of my pana65V10 (eventhough I love the set so far and it's really quiet even when I turn the volume all the way down to 0). I still like how Samsung's design and thinese but buzz is really going to turn me off every single min I hear it.

I just finished break-in slides and started exploring the calibration settings. I would recommend v10 if you really cannot stand the buzz. or you might have to wait on the Sammy's LED 8500(real local dimming one) but it will be at least 4k+ and probably at 55inch.

Or if you like the Samsung see if you don't get a problem buzzer like the majority of us...

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Power consumption as measured with a Kill-A-Watt power monitor:

Standby Mode (turned Off, front panel LED On): 3 Watts

- Details: 120.1 V, 0.10 A, 12 VA, 0.28 power factor

On, Full screen black: 82 W

- Details: 116.4 V, 0.75 A, 88 VA, 0.94 power factor

Digital Video Essentials, Video Test Signals, Video Black

On, Full screen white: 537 W

- Details: 115.1 V, 4.69 A, 540 VA, 0.99 power factor

Digital Video Essentials, Video Test Signals, 100% Window

What this means:

With the display off, it draws 3 Watts.

With the display on, it draws anywhere from 82 W to 537 W depending on the picture content. It could also be slightly higher if the video levels run over 100%.

For those with the "buzz" that changes with picture level (versus the other type of buzz) this is why. White draws a lot of power, black a lot less. PN63B550.

·
Registered
237 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhsiao /forum/post/17088210

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citivas /forum/post/17088251

Or if you like the Samsung see if you don't get a problem buzzer like the majority of us...

Man, I tell you what, this buzz is so bad on this new tv I don't even want to watch tv, it is way too loud. I finally got the rest of my 5.1 system setup, and watching Iron Man on a reasonable high volume, I can hear the buzz 80% of the time!

Well, the 58 V10 is not in until the 29th of this month at my BB, so I'm going to take another stab at Samsung. The 58 650 is on sale (about $1k cheaper than i paid for the 860), and they don't care how many times I swap TV's, so I'm getting that delivered this Friday. I feel bad doing it a third time, but the BB guys have been really helpful and tell me do it until you get a tv you like. If that's a buzzer, then I will probably go with a V10.

I tell you what, the Panny Z1 was awefully nice, brand new on their floor! But way out of my budget and only comes in 54". That Z1 was dead quiet, and was extremely cool to the touch, as cool as an LCD.

·
Registered
8 Posts
What do you all think about the Samsung LED 55" that BB has for sale this week. Picture quality looks great in person. Any downsides, buzzes on this one?

·
Registered
286 Posts
now u guys are starting to scare me, i am looking at a few Sammy Plasma

with PN50850 in sight but if you are all saying that this has the buzzing issue then i might just have to look at the other 2,

the reason for Sammy is because they agreed to replace my DLP but need to pay for the differences, if i had it my way i would go with the Panny

PN50B850

PN50B650

PN50B540

·
Registered
53 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekGirl /forum/post/17090336

Power consumption as measured with a power monitor:

Standby Mode (turned Off, front panel LED On): 3 Watts

- Details: 120.1 V, 0.10 A, 12 VA, 0.28 power factor

On, Full screen black: 82 W

- Details: 116.4 V, 0.75 A, 88 VA, 0.94 power factor

Digital Video Essentials, Video Test Signals, Video Black

On, Full screen white: 537 W

- Details: 115.1 V, 4.69 A, 540 VA, 0.99 power factor

Digital Video Essentials, Video Test Signals, 100% Window

What this means:

With the display off, it draws 3 Watts.

With the display on, it draws anywhere from 82 W to 537 W depending on the picture content. It could also be slightly higher if the video levels run over 100%.

For those with the "buzz" that changes with picture level (versus the other type of buzz) this is why. White draws a lot of power, black a lot less. PN63B550.

Does this mean this buzz cannot be "fixed?" Other brands of plasma must have similar power draws right? So how did Panasonics get around this problem and remain quiet?

·
Registered
2,475 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arc3 /forum/post/17090558

Man, I tell you what, this buzz is so bad on this new tv I don't even want to watch tv, it is way too loud. I finally got the rest of my 5.1 system setup, and watching Iron Man on a reasonable high volume, I can hear the buzz 80% of the time!

Well, the 58 V10 is not in until the 29th of this month at my BB, so I'm going to take another stab at Samsung. The 58 650 is on sale (about $1k cheaper than i paid for the 860), and they don't care how many times I swap TV's, so I'm getting that delivered this Friday. I feel bad doing it a third time, but the BB guys have been really helpful and tell me do it until you get a tv you like. If that's a buzzer, then I will probably go with a V10.

I tell you what, the Panny Z1 was awefully nice, brand new on their floor! But way out of my budget and only comes in 54". That Z1 was dead quiet, and was extremely cool to the touch, as cool as an LCD.

If I had buzz that bad I would have returned my set and not given Samsung a second chance. I stated that frequently in posts here before I got it. So I hear you... I just don't hear buzz like that on my set. My point was that, statistically, a majority of people in this poll don't hear buzz that bad and probably an even larger majority don't overall as all these polls (for Samsung, Pioneer -- which has similar results in their poll -- etc.) do. Personally, if I was neutral on Samsung versus another set I wouldn't have given it a chance. And I wouldn't have given it a chance without a return policy. But I wasn't neutral -- I liked the Samsung more the the latest Panasonics and they weren't available in my size requirements (still aren't yet). And the Pioneer was out of my price range. So I gave it a shot, scrutinized the heck out of the buzz and found it was not an issue for my set.

So my advice remains the same -- if you have no strong preference for Samsung, then save yourself the stress and do something else. But if you like the Samsung, why not just give it a try since the odds are in favor of not having a buzz problem then know you can move on if you get unlucky? If I were you I'd move on to a different brand afteryour experience.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by umgoblue2008 /forum/post/17091526

Does this mean this buzz cannot be "fixed?" Other brands of plasma must have similar power draws right? So how did Panasonics get around this problem and remain quiet?

Clearly something is wrong with a subset of the Samsungs that is causing a louder than normal buzz. It is not that be design that power consumption equals getting a loud buzz and most Samsungs are not buzzing loudly. Samsung has a problem with some parts or the manufacturing process, probably augmented by a poor design that exasperates the issue for sets with the problem, that they either haven't fixed yet or haven't admitted fixing out of reluctance to admit they had a problem to begin with...

1161 - 1180 of 3454 Posts