AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a PTAE3000U and it is out-of-order for a moment while I get the fans replaced. It could take a long time and it might not even fix the issue. I can't really explain without going into a huge story about why, but I have a $1000 owed to me that I have to spend before it is no longer available. What I want to do is just buy a projector that is equal or better in picture quality to the 3000U. Now I know the features won't be the same, but I never really used the features anyways except for the frame creation and i'm told that I'm not going to find that in anything but a Panny. I would like 120hz though.

I refuse to believe that a 2k projector in 2008 won't have something equal in picture quality at 1k price point 6 years later.

my stats-

What are your viewing habits? Blu-Ray, Streaming from a PC and an Xbox/PS4

What is your room like? It's a little den area with complete light control.

What are your room dimensions? 13x11 with the height being about 9-10 feet

What are your room colors? beige with white ceiling

What is your throw distance (lens to screen distance)? My throw distance is 12' [could be moved to around 10' if absolutely necessary] and the screen is 92''. The projector shelf is at the base level of the screen, but shelves can be moved and screen can be moved up or down. I can't ceiling mount since i live in an apartment and I don't want to put it in the middle of the room on a table.

What is your viewing distance - 10'

What are your quality expectations? I just want it to look as good, hopefully better than my other projector.

As far as screen size and throw distance... I just want to know if I buy the projector if it will fit in the 92'' screen at the distance of 12' or at great hassle, 10. I have a hard time trusting those calculators when they said the panny wouldnt fit my room.

3D would be very nice, but it isn't necessary and I am willing to buy refurbished.

·
Registered
6,974 Posts
I wouldn't recommend buying someone else's headache with refurb units, but you can get a new Optoma DLP model which is very well reviewed and will work from 12' lens to a 92" screen without problem. Not sure what calculator said the AE3000 wouldn't work, as it's generally about 1' of diagonal for every 1' of distance lens to screen on the Panny models.

Anyway, if it is truly 12' lens to screen, then the Optomas will work.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/projectors.cfm?g=1&hide=0&st=1&mfg=&p=300&p=1200&w=&r=13&br=&ll=&ltg=&t=&db=&dt=&c=&ar=&dvi=&wr=&sp=35&pjl=&pjw=&pjh=&td=12&i=d&is=92&sort=pop&sz=15

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Optoma-HD131Xe-projection-calculator-pro.htm?td_=12&id_=92&l_=0

Please note that 12' lens to screen is the furthest that projector can be, and it must be placed upright 7" below the bottom edge of the screen, or upside down 7" above the top edge of the screen. But, 12' to 10' and a 92" diagonal - this model will work.

Just an addition: The calculator from Projector Central shows that the AE3000U (not AE300U!) can hit a 92" diagonal from between 9'1" and 17'11" - right in the range you are using...
http://www.projectorcentral.com/Panasonic-PT-AE3000-projection-calculator-pro.htm

·
Registered
6,974 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coregmrconman  /t/1524805/1-000-projector-help#post_24545718

will the picture quality be greater or equal to the panny?
From most reports, the quality should be very similar. DLP is a faster process than LCD so there is less smearing and streaking in movement with DLP. Really should be impressive. Keep in mind you are comparing a $3,000 model to a sub $1,000 model, but it's still pretty darn impressive.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well.... I really messed up. I just measured my screen size and it is an 80" screen. When i bought it they must have shipped me the wrong one and I never knew it or noticed. its been 6 years, so im stuck with the 80 inches. i did exact laser measurements and i have between 114 and 129 inches of throw to play with. now im in a bind.

EDIT- it seems the optoma hd25 lv will still work, it will just be in that red range of brightness.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts