AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm really in need of a front projector since I've been waiting for some good one at good price for the last year. I have all my audio part of my HT completed except I 'm still viewing a 27" Wega. Which one should I buy? LT150 or LP530 and why? LP530 seems to be more expensive but the money saving on a 2000h lamp life makes it equal or better value than LT150 depend on how long I own one. I would love to hear from all of you especially from one who have both projectors to compare. Many thanks.

·
Registered
6,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh, I forgot to mention that I have the Pana RP-91 progressive scan DVD player and no HTPC yet. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
The LP530 should do a much better job with 480i signals than the LT150 thanks to the Faroudja deinterlacer. OTOH, LP530 has to do better with 480i since it won't accept a 480p input. Also, at $4,400 for the LP530 vs. $2400 for the LT150, you can afford to dump some serious money into video processors to help the LT150 out.

The LP530 is brighter at 2000 lumens vs. the LT150's 800, but contrast isn't nearly as good at 400:1 vs. 800:1. Which is a better tradeoff? I don't know. I'm still trying to figure this stuff out.

I assume you've already the information at www.projectorcentral.com?

/jab

a Moderator at the TiVo Community Forum

(I know next to nothing about HT) http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

[This message has been edited by JAB (edited 08-31-2001).]

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
I saw the Infocus 530 at Infocomm, under poor conditions, and had a long talk with the product manager. I have not had a serious opportunity to look at it yet.

I am quite familiar with the LT150; my son-in-law bought one of the Dell units. The LT150 is the value leader in HT right now.

I think that the Infocus had very good colors. Infocus has always been ahead of the game on video processing. This time, the Sage/Faroudja chip set should really make the 530 very formidable in this area. (I have seen the chip set carefully in other contexts). This should make your 480i DVD player look very nice. We will have to see about the contrast of the 530, I could not tell in the viewing environment at Infocomm.

My recommendation is to wait a bit until we learn more about the Infocus and then make your choice. This should only be another month or so, since the 530 is now shipping, and a number of forum members are poised to provide reviews and feedbacks.

The choice you are looking at is exactly right for the value marketplace right now. There are other more expensive solutions, such as the Sharp 9000z and the Selecos that you might consider if you want to look in the under 10K price point.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Has anyone seen the Optoma EzPro 755?? It looks to be alot like the 530, only without the faroudja chip, but with an 800:1 constrast ratio?

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
The LT150 at the 1700 Dell price or at current lows of 2300 is certainly a safe buy if you want to buy something to bide your time until you can purchase a real home theatre projector. I think the time has come to think seriously about the wisdom of spending any significant dollars on a 4:3 business projector that is being built with the corporate presentation market in mind. This is after all a home theatre forum yet the posters here seem fixated on old fashioned, 4:3 projectors that are so yesterday. In other words this is big NO to the LP530 for home theatre and any other projector that costs a lot and isn't a 16:9 design.

Lenny Eckian

[This message has been edited by leckian (edited 08-31-2001).]

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
What about a LT150 with a CrystalImage? Presumably, the CI would overcome the limitations of the LT150 deinterlacing and scaling engines. The projector investment is kept low and the CrystalImage would still be usable with a 1365 x 768 16:9 projector.

Comments?

/jab

------------------

a moderator at the TiVo Community Forum

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.