AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to Projector Central's re-review, Epson's TW100 has enjoyed somewhat of a resurgence. I know there are a lot of new TW100 owners out there, so I thought I would reinvigorate the discussion about 1:1 pixel mapping on the TW100.

I've owned my TW100 since August 2002 and have enjoyed every one of the 450+ hours I have put on it. Recently I purchased my very first HTPC and a whole new world of enjoyment has been opened up to me.

I remember all the hoopla about 1:1 pixel mapping on the TW100 when it first became available, and I see the same discussion come up with every successive projector that is released. So I figure this thread might be useful for new TW100 owners.

Using information from more "expert" people in this forum, I have successfully achieved "1:1 Pixel Perfection" on my TW100 via Input B (VGA). Special thanks goes out to MorpheusSzeto for discovering my current PowerStrip settings . Here are the settings repeated here for convenience:

Horizontal

Active 1280

Front porch 103

Sync width 128

Back porch 289

Total 1800

Scan rate 56.746 kHz

Vertical

Active 720

Front porch 121

Sync width 3

Back porch 150

Total 994

Refresh rate 57.089

Pixel Clock: 102.142

Tracking=0, Sync=55 (on TW100)

I have confirmed that these settings do indeed allow 1:1 pixel mapping on my TW100 by using the following resources:

1. Mark Rejhon's DILA Test Pattern

2. Nokia's Monitor Test Program for Windows

3. 1280 x 720 Test Pattern with Pixel Crop

The TW100 passes all of these tests with absolutely no moire pattern formation. The only somewhat strange thing is that with these PowerStrip settings, the TW100 does not give me the choice of "Through" mode, instead only allowing "Normal" which results in a very compressed image and "Zoom" which is the setting that I am currently using to achieve razor sharp 1:1 pixel mapping. Does anyone know why this is the case and can anyone come up with PowerStrip settings that allow use of the "Through" mode? At the very least, is there some way to make the TW100 default to "Zoom" mode? My HTPC currently boots up in "Normal" mode on the TW100 (compressed image centered in the correct aspect ratio) and I have to hit "Zoom" in order to fill the screen.

Hopefully this will generate some discussion and all TW100 owners can continue to improve the already excellent image quality of this projector!

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've only had my standalone DVD player hooked up to the component inputs aside from the VGA input for my current HTPC. With the standalone DVD player, I left the TW100 on "Squeeze" and that's where it always stayed.

Now with my HTPC, on bootup the default TW100 setting is "Normal" and I have to switch to "Zoom" in order to fill the screen. When I do things like switching from windowed mode to full screen mode and back to windowed mode in MyHD the TW100 somehow is sensing a change and reverts to "Normal". I assume this happens when I switch to fullscreen mode (HD mode in MyHD) and when I switch back to windowed mode the entire desktop image is compressed/centered on the screen again. So I have to punch on the "Zoom" mode to get back to full screen Windows desktop

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just found out that if I let my HTPC boot up BEFORE turning on the TW100, the correct display mode will be selected automatically. Very sharp picture. Now if I can only finish the SMART III calibration!

·
Registered
32 Posts
hi jwtseng

would you be so kind as to repost these powerstrip figures in the 'clipboard copy' format , just so i can be sure when i enter them in to powerstrip that i have it correct.

thanks

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by webloader
hi jwtseng

would you be so kind as to repost these powerstrip figures in the 'clipboard copy' format , just so i can be sure when i enter them in to powerstrip that i have it correct.

thanks
I'm not quite sure what you mean, but I'd like to help out. Can you tell me exactly what you would like me to do? THanks.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Why not use DVI ? It is much better than VGA.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by CKL
Why not use DVI ? It is much better than VGA.
Any TW100 owners tried V Bravo D1 DVD Player with 720p DVI Output? Here's the next step for your PJs - a pure digital DVD source direct to display w/o D to A conversion and any arifiacts, no edge enhancement etc.!!!

Here's Infocus 7200 engineer's comment when the Bravo D1 is used with a 1280 x 720 DLP PJ-

Bob Williams

InFocus

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...28#post2135328

I just wanted to let everyone know that the Bravo D1 looks very good through DVI into the ScreenPlay 7200 test unit I have in my lab.

It produces the best looking DVD playback I have seen to date.

The Bravo D1 seems to output CCIR 601 standard video which only contains brightness values from 16 to 240, and this is consistent with the mastering of the DVD so this is fine.

Bob W.

ScreenPlay Engineer
www.infocushome.com

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I tried out DVI as compared with VGA a while back, and I will continue to try things out as opportunity arises. But my current setup includes the MyHD 100 card which only has VGA output. I want to be able to display HD and Windows desktop on the same display, so my only option at this point is to use a loopback cable from my Radeon card to the MyHD card and output everything via VGA. The difference between this and DVI is minimal.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by webloader
hi jwtseng

thanks
Okay I figured it out. Here is the clipboard copy of my PowerStrip settings for 1:1 Pixel Mapping on the Epson TW100! Let us know how it goes. Thanks.

PowerStrip timing parameters:

1280x720=1280,103,128,289,720,121,3,150,102142,304

Generic timing details for 1280x720:

HFP=103 HSW=128 HBP=289 kHz=57 VFP=121 VSW=3 VBP=150 Hz=57

Linux modeline parameters:

"1280x720" 102.142 1280 1383 1511 1800 720 841 844 994 +hsync +vsync

·
Registered
501 Posts
Where do you get powerstrip? Is it shareware or do you have to buy it?

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jwtseng
The difference between this and DVI is minimal.
Hard to believe, based upon what others are saying at least on digital fixed pixel displays such as the TW100.

Why take a digital source and convert to RGB analog and then convert back to digital in the display. Two D/A conversions. Two entry points for conversion artifacts. This approach once made sense before their was a better solution.

At least get a Radeon with DVI out - if you still want that PC in your home theater.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Jim Noyd
Hard to believe, based upon what others are saying at least on digital fixed pixel displays such as the TW100.

Why take a digital source and convert to RGB analog and then convert back to digital in the display. Two D/A conversions. Two entry points for conversion artifacts. This approach once made sense before their was a better solution.

At least get a Radeon with DVI out - if you still want that PC in your home theater.
Jim:

Believe me, I hear what you are saying, and on the surface I would expect DVI to be better than VGA as well. There are plenty of people here who swear that there is a huge difference. I guess if I were one of those people who could actually *see* a big difference, I would put out more effort in my current setup.

But as I explained, I wanted a single cable solution from my HTPC to TW100 within the bounds of the MyHD setup with loopback cable. At least until the new MyHD card with aux DVI comes out, VGA remains my "best" option. Whatever I lose going through that extra DA conversion is worth the convenience of having a single display cable. I *do* have a dual head VGA/DVI Radeon 9000 as a matter of fact.

I'll continue to evaluate the DVI route as my options expand. I just think it would be a big pain to switch inputs everytime I want to watch a little HD.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I tried the DVI vs. VGA and saw little difference. But, that comparison was made almost six months ago. I usually view with the Component video only. My Panasonic HD box, Panasonic DVD, and xBox are all Component only. Also, the DVI has more limiting line length requirements as I recall.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by pwsharpe
DVI has more limiting line length requirements as I recall.
DVI 1.0 throw distance is about 10 meters or 33 feet. But cable manufacturers are working on extending this.

To get the better PQ from DVI some PJ owners have even moved their Bravo D1 DVD player near their PJ and run long throw digital audio cables.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Where can I get a DVI-D to DVI-D cable that is about 8 meters in length? I've only ever seen them at 5 meters max.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jwtseng
Where can I get a DVI-D to DVI-D cable that is about 8 meters in length? I've only ever seen them at 5 meters max.
Try AVSFORUM sponsor http://bettercables.com/dvicables.html they have one at 9 meters.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
jwtseng, not sure whether this will help you but you can actually use a DVI-I cable and yank out the fat spade with it's surrounding 4 smaller pins (these are not used for the DVI-D part). I've done it on my HS10 and it works great.

Xander

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.