Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by fredwinters
1.1 Terrabyte drive $800 available at the local computer store. Is it worth it? To me it lookliked two or three hard drives ducted taped together.
:eek: :eek: Wow. Has anyone here had any experience with these yet? :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Well, actually, if you could possibly use that much storage (and who, with DVArchive and Replay couldn't!), then it is a good price / GB.

Figure even 100GB drives cost about 70cents / GB so 80cents / GB for Tera storage sure sounds like a good deal to me!

Post more here on the architecture of the hardware. I'm curious.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Anyone who needs that much space should probably be running mirrored raid...I mean, you don't need a terrabyte to do video conversion...A terrabyte indicates you're storing for the long term. And there are no affordable options for the average user to backup a terrabyte. So...you should run mirrored raid. At least then you'll be safe in the case of drive failure...

Of course, a terrabyte of mirrored raid storage, even if you put everything together yourself and know where to shop, is going to cost more like $2k or so...

Quad

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Find out who manufacturers this unit? What is its interface? Is it new in box (NIB) or a return? There are a number of Firewire RAID systems out there that are this size, but they all cost much more.

/carmi

·
Registered
86 Posts
Need more information. First thing I would be concerned about is:

Can any of the current hardware (motherboards) support this size of storage yet?

I would bet the Replay unit cannot.

Also you say:

To me it lookliked two or three hard drives ducted taped together.

This is weird to say. I can see the concept of 3 hard drives molded together or in a new case but it wouldn't look like duct tape was used.

I didn't mean by this that he seriously thought duck tape was used. Just a weird comparison.

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
Come on now, I'm sure he was joking about the duct tape.

But then again duct tape has many uses :p

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
One needs only two tools to survive. Duct tape and WD-40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use the duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use the WD-40.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
don't forget a kitchen knife (aka screwdriver)

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jones07
Come on now, I'm sure he was joking about the duct tape.

But then again duct tape has many uses :p
I'm sure the WHOLE thread is a joke. You people can't be serious with those replies? The thread starter was just blowing off some steam regarding the plethora of xxxgb dives for xxx$ at xyz retailer, threads of late.

·
Registered
478 Posts
It's hysterical (to me, at least) that I'm reading this thread while I'm watching MacGyver. No, really. I am.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Anti-troll shields are down, Captain!! ;)

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
I wouldn't touch it. I'll state the obvious first: if anything happened to it the whole thing would be broken and you would be out the whole amount.

But there's more subtle reasons as well. The wear and tear of a drive is based on the amount of time the head of the harddrive contacts the disks. So you will only have one head skimming across all of the harddrive space and the head will shurely wear out before the surface of the plattors.

You'd be better off with five 200 gig harddrives. What I do is pick up 120 gig harddrives when they are on sale. like that guy posted at staples. I got two of those staples 120 gig drives. I'm up to about 720 gigs now(its nice). I hop sale to sale. yum

The head will wear down quick enough on a 120 gig drive i figure.

I have my harddrives spin down after 3 hours to save on wear

but of course do what you want. this is just my two bits

icecow

·
Registered
478 Posts
1.97TB RAID 5 -- for only $373,250

It's on my letter to Santa already.

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by icecow
The wear and tear of a drive is based on the amount of time the head of the harddrive contacts the disks. So you will only have one head skimming across all of the harddrive space and the head will shurely wear out before the surface of the plattors.
Got news for you: the heads do not ever come in physical contact with the platters, so there is no wear on them while in use. The heads float on a cushion of air which is created by the platters' spin. When the platters spin down the heads are retracted away from the data areas.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Sun?!? 9 terabytes for a measly $912K? Way freakin' overpriced. And let's not forget to mention big, and yet it has a total lack of impressive blinken lights.

Get some Apple stuff . 2.5 terabytes for $11K. So let's say 10TB for $44K (use 4 of 'em), with some money left over for an Xserve to run DVArchive on, and 1/2 a rack, and about a small addition to your house, upgrade the electric, get cable and satellite, a couple of Replays so you can record more then one channel at a time, and you can still pocket the other the $800K, or maybe make your own sitcom for TNN.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.