AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am finalizing construction details for a basement HT. I have 9.25" manufactured I-beams between the basement and upper floor (kitchen and dining room). I plan to fill that with fiberglass insulation.

My original plan was to hang sound channel (the "Z" shaped stuff from Home Depot) from the joists, and then a single layer of 5/8" sheetrock. In doing some recent reading, I saw a recommend that the walls shouldn't be too stiff -- recommending 1/2" on the inside, and stiffer layers on the non-HT side of walls, etc.

So, I am thinking instead about putting 1/2" sheetrock against the joists, then the sound channel, then a second 1/2" layer.

This option is more work, and more expense.

Alternatively, I could put 5/8" against the joists, then the SC then 1/2" or 5/8".

Advice is welcome!!

Thanks!

Ken

·
Registered
37 Posts
as a contractor who actually does the work, i would opt for two layers with the 1/2" drywall, just be certain to glue and screw it. not sure if u ever hung 5/8" drywall before, but it is a bear to work with especially overhead. i would even consider using two sections of 3/8" drywall if your local lumber yard has it available.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.