AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At long last it is finally that time to upgrade from an Onix Rocket LFW-10 to a much more powerful sub. My main room is L-shaped and, roughly, 2,700 cubic feet. Listening habits are 60% movies/TV and 40% music. My inside wall is a mere 7.5' so I do not have the space for dual subs.

Before you recommend them, the offerings from Power Sound have been ruled out due to the finish and any cylinder sub is ruled out by my spouse.

I'm looking for clean bass and something which will knock you on your ass when the movie calls for it. Perhaps there is no better way of putting it than wanting to feel the deep impact of the cannons from the 1812 Overture thumping you on your chest and leaving that lasting impact.

My max budget is $1,300.

The main ones I am looking at are:

SVS PB12-PLUS (Outlet)

Axiom Audio EP500

HSU VTF-15H

Thanks for the help!

·
Premium Member
8,440 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvuong  /t/1467877/1-300-sub-help#post_23193779

For just ~$50 more than your max budget get you Rythmik FV15HP (550W). It is definitely better than those listed. Not sure if the 550W version is still being offered though.

Is Brian still offering the 550w version? because right now he doesn't have it listed on the site, plus with shipping the FV15HP will be $1400.

To the OP, personally I would not be looking at the Axiom, they aren't exactly know to get the best bang for the buck. With you're budget I would look at the HSU or take a look at PSA sub line. Both the XV15 and XS30 would come in under your budget. You could also look at getting dual subs with your budget, dual LV12R's from Rythmik Audio would only be $1200. Just something to keep in mind.

One other thing to keep in mind, the output numbers of the PSA XV15 and very similar to the PB12+ but is quote a bit cheaper.

If you were able to stretch your budget just a little though the FV15HP is a great sub.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Rythmic recommends a single FV15 (non HP) over dual LV12Rs for some of the features on the amp although I tend to lean towards duals. I tend to recommend PSA or Rythmik at this price range so I'd stretch for the FV15HP (and I did twice).

It sounds like we have some WAF limitations to work with here. I like the appearance of my FV15HP but it is not a small sub, you'd need to brace her for its size. That may be a good vote for a couple smaller subs, or maybe even a sealed sub. F15HP, F15, D15, F12s. Some rythmiks have a honey oak finish which is different and looks nice. I have the black oak and I like it, but it's not Funk audio furniture grade or anything, my mains are seksier.

Have you seen a seaton submeraive? It's a good bit more expensive but that's a serious high end sub and very attractive. you're looking a bit north of 2k I believe on that depending on finish, HP, and such. Even at that price I stand behind saying that is a very high value product. It's worth every penny and some. It blows the socks off some brands's flagship subs costing double+.

·
Registered
142 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstew100  /t/1467877/1-300-sub-help#post_23194498

Rythmic recommends a single FV15 (non HP) over dual LV12Rs for some of the features on the amp although I tend to lean towards duals. I tend to recommend PSA or Rythmik at this price range so I'd stretch for the FV15HP (and I did twice).

It sounds like we have some WAF limitations to work with here. I like the appearance of my FV15HP but it is not a small sub, you'd need to brace her for its size. That may be a good vote for a couple smaller subs, or maybe even a sealed sub. F15HP, F15, D15, F12s. Some rythmiks have a honey oak finish which is different and looks nice. I have the black oak and I like it, but it's not Funk audio furniture grade or anything, my mains are seksier.

Have you seen a seaton submeraive? It's a good bit more expensive but that's a serious high end sub and very attractive. you're looking a bit north of 2k I believe on that depending on finish, HP, and such. Even at that price I stand behind saying that is a very high value product. It's worth every penny and some. It blows the socks off some brands's flagship subs costing double+.

really u have 2 of those ??? ... wet dream

wondering if ill end with 2 of those or 4 xv15

·
Registered
940 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemoreborn  /t/1467877/1-300-sub-help#post_23194781

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstew100  /t/1467877/1-300-sub-help#post_23194498

really u have 2 of those ??? ... wet dream

wondering if ill end with 2 of those or 4 xv15

It's good, it's very very good.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
After further talking with my wife, PSA is indeed now an option. The $1,300 needs to include shipping, which rules out the FV15HP though it appears the FV15 is still available through Ascend's website.

So now the options are:

PSA XS30

Rythmik FV15 or F15

Too bad I am unable to locate a direct comparison of those two subs.

I have seen the Seaton subs. When all is said and done they are nearly $1,200 outside of my max budget. Oh well.

·
Registered
4,645 Posts

I'm surprised the 550 watt amp isn't listed for the FV15HP. With that amp it cost me 1,312 including shipping. Maybe he's out of stock but might be getting some in soon. Worth a shot asking him through his web site and here in the Rythmik thread. You'll only lose 0.5 db. with the 550 amp compared to the 600 watt.

·
Registered
39 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BZ1974  /t/1467877/1-300-sub-help#post_23201071

After further talking with my wife, PSA is indeed now an option. The $1,300 needs to include shipping, which rules out the FV15HP though it appears the FV15 is still available through Ascend's website.

So now the options are:

PSA XS30

Rythmik FV15 or F15

I have seen the Seaton subs. When all is said and done they are nearly $1,200 outside of my max budget. Oh well.

If you have narrowed it to these two call Tom at PSA and ask his opinion, hes a straight shooter and still gives a honest opinion even about other brands versus theirs, I ended up with one of their (PSA) subs and am happy especially with customer service.

I had been considering Rythmik myself, but i couldnt seem to beat the bang for the buck of PSA, I firmly believe within 2 years the PSA subs will be at similar price points to their competition not a couple hundred dollars less. And rightly so.

I cant say anything negative about rythmik either their subs are stellar and no matter which you end up with you will have one of the best performing subs available.

Did you eliminate the HSU?

·
Registered
14,582 Posts

Quote:

So now the options are:

PSA XS30

Rythmik FV15 or F15

Quote:

So now the options are:

PSA XS30

Rythmik FV15 or F15

the xs30 would be my choice between those options.

·
Premium Member
8,440 Posts

Quote:

So now the options are:

PSA XS30

Rythmik FV15 or F15

If the wife is okay with a sub from PSA now, I would suggest the XS30. I've been very impressed with mine.

·
Registered
437 Posts
My vote goes for the SVS PB 12 Ultra, based on professional reviews, the quality of product SVS puts out as well as backs up with a 5 year warranty and the one year upgrade. ( I am awaiting arrival of a SVS SB12, and am the victim of Epik, hence the warranty plug)

Audioholics:

"The SVS engineering was flawless. I could not find any major or minor issues with the performance at all, save for what sounded a little like clipping with the LP control set to 120 Hz, which might well have been the signal, not compression artifacts. The cabinet build was solid, and there were NO audible artifacts from any overloading of the ports, even when driven with maximum pulse amplitudes at 20 Hz. SVS recommends a step down mode if the system is to be driven below 20 Hz, as the box unloads below this frequency, so the distortion rises quickly as does the driver distress. Just for the hell of it, I went down to 16 Hz, and near maximum amplifier power, the driver was definitely in distress. For those of you unwilling to give up anything between 20 Hz and 16 Hz, SV Sound even includes foam plugs to re-tune the box lower to avoid these ill effects. Seems they thought of everything! Remember, a sealed box will be much stiffer on the cone than a vented box driven below the box tuning frequency. That means a slower roll-off (12dB/octave vs 24 dB/octave) as well as the natural mechanical protection of the sealed box. The settings of the amplifier compressor were so conservative in fact, I suspect that this will provide high reliability and long service life. This is a product which is well engineered, fine tuned, and finished. (Unlike some lesser entries, it is ready for prime time!)"

Also this subwoofer was recommend over HSU, Rythmik by audioholics here is the link to the review http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/speakers/subwoofers/rythmik-fv15hp/fv15h-conclusion

1 - 20 of 21 Posts