Discussion Starter #1
DTV monitors and sets

1,221,907 Inception to date thru June 2001

__117,851 July

__137,854 August

1,477,612 Inception to date thru August 2001

CEA press release
"DTV Sales Appear to Rise"

August sales were a record month. In Los Angeles I would guess less than 5% of all sales above $2000 are NTSC sets. Combining Mark Schubin's adjusted Jan-June figure of 461,907 with July and August gives 855,466 YTD not the 1.1 million in the B&C article.

The CEA continues to avoid giving reporters STB figures as indicated in the B&C article. Mark Schubin had to promise not to ask for more STB/integrated receiver figures before January.

[This message has been edited by Alan Sh (edited 09-19-2001).]

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Thanks for posting this. Everyone should note that these numbers are sales to dealers, not to actual customers. Many of these units are tied up in the retail channel.

It strikes me that unit sales to dealers are running about double what they were last year at the time when most other consumer electronics products sales are down. I am also encouraged by the continued month-to-month increase. IMHO, the more digital TVs out there without copy protection, the tougher it will be for anyone to copy protect content.

The last number we received for ATSC receivers (both STBs and TVs with built-in tuners) was 150K unit sales to dealers as of the end of June. If you assume a two-month retail sell-through, there are now more than 150K units in people's hands. That isn't much more than 10% of all digital TVs.

------------------

Rich Peterson

DBS Consumer Guide Author

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.