AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been doing my homework reading through this forum as well as projector central and I have decided to get a 1/4HD resolution projector. It seems my choices are either the AE300/L300U or the Z1. I'm planning on approx. 100" diagonal image for HD / DVD viewing.

Now, here are my questions:

1) Is there any difference between the AE300 and the L300U? Projector central indicates that the AE300 has a longer throw distance. They show a 100" image at around 12 ft max for the L300U, but at around 16 ft max for the AE300. Due to mounting considerations, I would prefer a 16 ft distance but I wonder is this is a real difference or just a mistype on their website.

2) What is the difference between the Z1 and the Studio Experience Matinee 1HD? They appear identical (except color) and have the same specs.

Finally, is there any good reason I should spend extra $500 on the Panasonic unit over the Z1?

Thanks,

Tomasz

·
Registered
7,140 Posts
1-Your'e on your own

2-Zero

3-I didn't

And, the Z1/ 1 HD has a full 3 year parts and labor warranty vs one for the Panny

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
AE300 = L300.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
If you read the reviews on PJCentral.com closely, you will notice that the projectors you question are, essentially, identical. That refers both to the AE300/L300U and Z1/1HD.

The equivalent units are marketed through different means but perform identically. You would also have found at the end of the L300U on PJCentral.com a comparison between the two units.

For your setup, the difference comes down to one thing (as indicated by the review). How close are you going to sit to that 100" screen. If it's closer than 15', you probably will notice pixelation on the Z1 more than the 300. And, the extra money will probably be well worth it. (On the other hand, you may be happy with the Z1 for the following reasons).

You certainly can soft focus and lower the sharpness on either of these two projectors to minimize pixelation, but the 300 should always produce a better image -- if you sit close enough. This, plus the promise of longer bulb life, are the advantages of the 300. However, the Z1 has a better warranty (3yrs vs 1yr).

There are alot of threads in this forum comparing the two units if you want to get a thorough, individualized view of these projectors. (Remember to search for both versions to get all posts regarding these machines).

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by GreggPenn
, you probably will notice pixelation on the Z1 more than the 300...

... but the 300 should always produce a better image -- if you sit close enough.
I don't necessarily agree with these two statements.

The smoothscreen reduces visible screendoor, but pixelization is most definitely still apparent. The new 500u should fix this with higher resolution.

As to the 300 "always" producing a better image, I found the 300u to be a wonderful projector, but the smoothscreen added it's own artifacts to the image which I found mildly annoying (peekaboo screendoor, visible scanline artifacts.).

YMMV

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I believe screendoor and pixelation are two words which refer to the same thing. Saying that screendoor is reduced supports the statement I was trying to make about the 300 being smoother -- if you sit close enough.

There may be some trade-off to get this smoothness, but it's not clear to me that the artifacts you describe are common to the unit (at least to the extent that they are unresolvable). I'd like to see a poll from 300 owners choosing from the following list:

A) I love my 300. Don't see any problem with the picture.

B) I have problems with scanline/flicker tweak issues.

C) FPN and/or banding artifacts are driving me crazy.

D) Other problems have plagued this unit which can't be resolved.

This poll would be very meaningful to me because (as part of the rainbow afflicted), I am trying to make the following choice for a 100", light-controlled, DVD theater with occasional HDTV viewing:

Choice #1) Buy the 300 as prices fall further since most of the material I'd watch wouldn't demand better resolution. (Rule out "artifact" issues before committing).

Choice #2) Wait for the Z2/AE500 to get a better unit at what appears to be a low increase in price. (Use reliability, warranty, and/or artifact issues from these units and their predecessors to determine the winner. HS-20 is already eliminated).

Choice #3) Find a way to view the NEC HT-1000 if possible to find out if rainbows aren't as big of an issue on 4x (5x?) units.

Choice #4) Keep waiting until a rainbow-free/artifact free projector is finally built in a reasonable price range.

If the results to the poll above were sufficiently negative, I would eliminate choice #1 and lean toward the Z2 in choice #2 (since the unresolved technologies may be present in the AE500). Choices #3 and #4 would not be ruled out with this poll.

Anyone else like to see this poll?

gp

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
See this thread.

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by GreggPenn
I believe screendoor and pixelation are two words which refer to the same thing. Saying that screendoor is reduced supports the statement I was trying to make about the 300 being smoother -- if you sit close enough.

gp
Though screendoor is frequently used to describe all visible pixel structure, it most correctly refers to the black pixel grid supporting the LCD matrix. Think of looking out of your own screendoor and notice the visible black grid through which you can see.

The Panasonic has much reduced screendoor, but it's easy to see the LCD pixel structure from about the same distance as the screendoor is visible on the Z1.

The 500u should really help this. I very curious how this will stack up against the Z2 in terms of visible pixel structure...

·
Registered
453 Posts
I'm a bit confused from the posts thus far- anyone know conclusively what the max throw is on the Z2, and if it is hampered by the "short throw lens" ?

·
Registered
971 Posts
The PLV-Z2 has a *slightly* longer throw than the Z1. Not enough to write home about. Go check the Grobi site listed in the PLV-Z2 thread. They have a throw chart posted.

RG

·
Registered
453 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Rick Guynn
The PLV-Z2 has a *slightly* longer throw than the Z1. Not enough to write home about. Go check the Grobi site listed in the PLV-Z2 thread. They have a throw chart posted.

RG
Thanks Rick.

I was hoping it could do 17 feet distance from the screen...well apparently it will work with a screen size (min) of 5' H x 9'W (126" diag.). Which is a little big for my living room.That notwithstanding, I wonder what the pixels (+brightness) will look like sitting 13-14' away...any idea for the z1 (actually, based on projectorcentral the z1 at my distance requires a 142" screen!)?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.