AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a interior foundation wall in by basement and I need all the space I can get.

Is it possible to use 20Ga 1 5/8" steel studs against that wall? I'm going to use 1 1/2" rigid insulation against the wall itself for both insulation and vapor barrier

The other option is 1 1/2" insulation against the wall with 1x3 furring strips fastened to the foundation via screws.

The worst option would be standard 2x4 studwall and 1 1/2 insulation. I'd lose about 8" that way

Regardless of the solution I'm going with IB1 clips and 7/8 hat channel and double 5/8 drywall.

Could the 1x3 furrings attached to foundation carry that weight? Could 1 5/8 20Ga metal studs handle that weight?

Thanks,
JOe K.

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
In case anyone is interested:

From Clark-Detrick (makers of the stud)

Thank you for contacting ClarkDietrich Engineering Technical Support. Yes, ClarkDietrich’s 1 5/8" 20Ga steel studs would be able to handle a double layer of 5/8" drywall. Although limiting heights are listed with one (l) layer of 5/8”, testing is done with 8 psf which is more than the one (1) layer.

1 5/8” prostud 20 (20 ga EQ) and/or Prostud 30 (.30 mil/20 ga) will span the 8’.

From Ted at Soundproofing Co

The 20 ga steel would hold the IB-1 Clip with a single screw. A very good alternative.

So 1 5/8 steel studs would work for a non load baring wall with DD+GG on Clips+Hats

·
Registered
304 Posts
Looks like you got a good answer. Nice work on the investigation.

BTW, I looked for 1 5/8" track out here in Arizona at the big box stores, but it's just not popular enough. Smallest I could find was 2 1/2" for my soffits. Ah, well. Worked just fine, but would love to have found the smaller stuff. I'm assuming, at least out here, that I would have needed to source it at a specialty distributor of some sort. In other parts of the country I'm guessing you can walk into any Home Depot and get it. I didn't see a location in your profile...so not sure where you are. Do you already have a source?

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
You'll probably get some flex if you have decent subwoofage. I would just make sure you don't have a situtation where the studs could be smacking against the foundation.

Maybe a dab of acoustical sealant center span of the stud?

Another idea would be 20ga Z-furring, but personally I would use the 1-5/8 stud.

Tim

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
Do 1 5/8" studs have the cut outs for the stiffening rails? Having used them in a 3.5" steel stud wall, they
make a big difference in creating a stiffer wall.

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looks like you got a good answer. Nice work on the investigation.

BTW, I looked for 1 5/8" track out here in Arizona at the big box stores, but it's just not popular enough. Smallest I could find was 2 1/2" for my soffits. Ah, well. Worked just fine, but would love to have found the smaller stuff. I'm assuming, at least out here, that I would have needed to source it at a specialty distributor of some sort. In other parts of the country I'm guessing you can walk into any Home Depot and get it. I didn't see a location in your profile...so not sure where you are. Do you already have a source?
menards has it special order. 20Ga is the way to go if I do it.

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just curious, is it a concrete foundation wall? If so why clips and channel?

BT1
It is a foundation wall. Are you suggesting I decouple the wall with IB-1's and attach the drywall directly to the studwall?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Do 1 5/8" studs have the cut outs for the stiffening rails? Having used them in a 3.5" steel stud wall, they
make a big difference in creating a stiffer wall.
Just google'd stiffening rails and couldn't find them. What are those?

·
Registered
838 Posts
It is a foundation wall. Are you suggesting I decouple the wall with IB-1's and attach the drywall directly to the studwall?

First a disclaimer, I am no expert, but all that I have read and seen is that on a concrete foundation wall if you build the room wall an inch off of it or the foam and decouple that wall the clips and channel do not add much in the way of soundproofing.

I am not going to use clips and channel on my build (will start a build thread soon) to save a few inches on both sides. The steel studs are also better in this instance with no clips from a soundproofing perspective. If you use clips and channel wood vs steel is moot in what I have gathered.

BT1

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
I've likely used the wrong terminology. It's the U shaped heavy gauge rail that goes through the studs, and
then there's a clip that further ties everything together.

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
First a disclaimer, I am no expert, but all that I have read and seen is that on a concrete foundation wall if you build the room wall an inch off of it or the foam and decouple that wall the clips and channel do not add much in the way of soundproofing.

I am not going to use clips and channel on my build (will start a build thread soon) to save a few inches on both sides. The steel studs are also better in this instance with no clips from a soundproofing perspective. If you use clips and channel wood vs steel is moot in what I have gathered.

BT1
Are you going to use IB-3's to decouple the wall from the ceiling joists? How do you intend on attaching the top plate?

·
Registered
838 Posts
Yes. The IB3 Brackets at soundproofing company. I plan on building the walls up to within an inch or less, attaching the isolator side to the top plate and then lining these up with the floor/ceiling joists to attach the bracket. I will probably build the walls first and then do the ceiling.

BT1

·
Registered
1 Posts
Not sure anyone is even reading this, but I am in the same situation at TJ - framing a basement, non load bearing, and want to conserve space. My question - how in the heck do you run electrical when you are using 1 5/8 steel studs? the wholes in the middle of the studs are way small, and not meant for cabling, or so I think. I've been searching for an answer and have not found one, no one is talking about this! If you get the 3.5 inch studs, easy, run it through the pre cut holes, but what if you get a thinner stud? TIA.

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,364 Posts
just an idea, untested. If you leave a 1 inch gap to the foundation that is a huge slot to poke wires, then use zip ties in the small holes to secure the wires up off the floor. normal procedure for framing walls is to leave a one inch gap to a foundation wall. For interior walls I'm not sure you would want to frame it with just 1 5/8 studs but if you are adding clips and channel that creates at least a 1 1/4 gap between the studs and the drywall.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts