AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the opportunity to get a motorized screen with a 1.5 gain factor for my upcoming Marquee 8500. Would you recommend such a screen or should I look for some other type, like 1.2 or 1.3 gain for instance?

Nicholas.

·
Registered
73 Posts
What 1.5 gain material is this?

I really like my Da-Lite Pearlesent 1.5 gain screen. There are times when you can tell you are bouncing light off something that isn't flat white. I would not call it rainbows or sparkles because the effect isn't that severe. It's more along the lines of a slight unnatural shift from the darker to the lighter parts of the screen. It's apparent when looking at anything that has a very dark area and a very bright area, like when there is a shot of the horizon including the sun in one corner. When loooking at the other corner of the screen, without the sun, and then looking accross the screen towords the sun, there will be small areas where you can tell there are sparkly bits on the screen as the light changing from dark to full bright isn't perfect.

Did that make any sense at all?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Oh, and I'm using a sony 1271. I'm guessing the larger CRTs on your 8500 would provide a big bright picture with the 1.5 gain screen. At 110" 4:3 my screen is a little dim if you follow recommendations but I like things a little darker then recommended so it works great for me.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Nicholas

That is a good screen. I have used the da-lite matte whites and now have a pearl like yours. What ipandmusic said is correct and when I first switched from a matte it did bother me A LITTLTE. Now I am used to it there is no going back to the matte. The colors and contrast ratio is just better with my XG 135LC on a 120" 4/3.

As an added bonus the pearl material is heavier than the Matte and will not wrinkle as bad. This I will gurantee. I owned 3 Mattes and they all wrinkled. No trouble with the pearl.

Somthing else to consider. For the cheap Da-Lite pulldowns (non tab tensioned) 1.3 gain is not avail.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The screen I am considering is a Matte White matterial, 0.5mm thick, 1,5 gain, 150 degrees angle of view, and it is made by Euroscreen, which is an Italian company, therefore I don't know if this is a model that you would be familiar with, since I don't know if they exist in the North American market.

I don't know if this extra info helps you a little bit.

By the way, I live in Athens, Greece.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Almost forgot!!! I am going to have an 80" wide screen. My viewing distance will be approximately 12-13 feet.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Well each to his own

But I would be auditioning Dalite Hi Power.:)

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
1.5 will be fine. At this time I use a DIY screen with ScreenGoo, which is about 1.6 gain. Outstanding is the ownly word.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Please also consider this important factor for a high gain screen.

The types of reflectivity of the screen: Angular reflective is good for ceiling installed projector, while retroreflective is good for floor mount.

I agree the Pearlscent is a good screen, but if the proj is installed in the ceiling, there is a severe brightness lost when the viewer is sitted. This is like hot spotting.

CH Yeow

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
What is the gain on the Dalite Hi Power?

110" and 120" screens ... do you need a screen with high gain to use such a large screen?

·
Registered
176 Posts
I'm using a Vutec 1,5 gain with my 8500 and I'm happy with (the gain not the company).

Depending on using color filters too for the 8500 I'll recommend a 1,5 gain.

Color calibrated (6500 k) I have now 10 fl measured, => 15 fl on the screen.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
da-lite high power is either a 2.5,or 2.8 gain , exellent results with a low lumens projecter, however viewing cone is rather limited.............

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.