AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a great thread about receivers below the $1,000 threshold. Right now the H-K AVR-8000 is etailing for about $1,600. Does this flagship receiver blow the doors off the similar (selling) priced receivers now that the price is down? Any other recommendations at this price level?

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
My AVR8k is pretty nice. It sounds even better with external amplification though. Personally if I were to do it again, I would think hard about picking up a used 5ch amp and getting something like a Denon 3802 (also cheap now).

The only other receiver I have to compare the HK to is my old trusy friend, a Yamaha RX-V1105. The HK is noticeably clearer in the amp section, has more tweakable controls, and a bazillion inputs as well as the nicest binding posts I've seen on a receiver. It's an incremental upgrade, nothing that blows my doors off. It's certainly nice though for someone who wants a simple, one-purchase peace-of-mind receiver that will do a little of everything well (but that's the point, I suppose).

Me... I'm a convert to seperates, now. :)

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Most of the receivers I document in the sub-$1000 receivers thread have "big brothers" that sell at discounts in the $1500-$1800 range. Such as the Denon 4802, Pioneer Elite 47TX, Sony DA7ES, and others.

For the most part the biggest difference between the $1000'ish receivers and the $1500'ish receivers is in the amplifier section. Nearly all of the pricier receivers sport larger, more powerful amps. They also offer more features, usually a higher THX certification, sometimes fancier remotes. Consider the 3803 vs 4802. The 3803 competes very well in the pre/pro section, even offering some features not yet found in the 4802 (which is due to be "freshened" in a few months). On the surface the power amp specs look very similar, with the 4802 being spec'ed at only 15 more watts per channel. However the 4802's amp has a significantly upgraded power supply and on benchtests it spec's out at approximately 60 more watts with all channels driven.

Tom B.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wildfire99,

I'm still at the receiver stage ;) . And the 8000 does have an attractive price at this point.

Tom,

I was looking at the DA7ES at around $1300, but as mentioned in the other thread, there just does not appear to be that much of an upgrade from the 4ES ($650). I have an older H-K now, which is why I bring that line up. It always seemed to have better torque (OK I'm a motorhead) behind it.

The Sony diversion is due to the 60XBR800 and HD200 I currently have.

Denon's and Elite's seem to have have a poorer customer service flavor around this forum.

·
Banned
1,108 Posts
On the surface the power amp specs look very similar, with the 4802 being spec'ed at only 15 more watts per channel. However the 4802's amp has a significantly upgraded power supply and on benchtests it spec's out at approximately 60 more watts with all channels driven.

Power alone does not produce quality sound. Read this article concerning the Denon 4802. 'Secrets of Home Theater & High Fidelity (1/02) ' on ecoustics.com.

As a previous owner of this reciever I share their opinion. No punch in the bass, thin sounding, especially with 2 channel music.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
That may be true of the 4802, however not all reviews have agreed with this assessment. If it is true, I would lay the blame somewhere in the preamp/processor section.

This would be a fun target for a DBT. Set it up with the preamp outs going to an external amp, volume level match the output from the external amp to that of the internal amp, and then run a DBT to see if the differences are indeed perceivable.

Tom B.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Regretably, I have to agree with HTMAN21 on his assesment of the lack of definintion and "balls" in the last couple of production years...was one of my most popular brands but lately the ES and Yamaha RCVRS have been winning the day ...try looking at the RXV3300, I think you'll like what you hear....

·
Banned
1,108 Posts
Tom, Does it really matter what the source of the problem is? If it is the amps then this can be rectified by using an external amp, if it is the processor could you use the amps with an external processor?

Regardless, why waste money on something that is supposed to do it all, really this is considered to be approching high end with all of its power, SHARC, and other nameful components.

As for double blind testing I firmly believe that the Kenwood 6070 would be chosen over many receivers considered to be of the higher end

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Well, I always want to know what the source of the problem is.

I was piqued by this criticism of the 4802, so I went looking for reviews on it. What I found was a slew of very positive reviews. Out of 52 reviewers on the Audioreview site, it's overall rating was 4.6, with the vast majority of people giving it a rating of 5 stars. Several of them describing the 4802's sound as "warm." Even the Secrets of Home Theater review, cited above, was quite positive, saying that of all the A/V receivers reviewed, the only one that gave the 4802 a run for the money was the B&K 307, which listed at $1000 more. And that the power amp section "is clearly within the upper echelon of similar model power performance." My take on their comments was that the amp was very good for an A/V receiver, but fell short of a separate power amp - especially with less sensitive, full-range speakers in a large room.

An in-depth review published in "Widescreen Review" magazine was even more positive. Their summary statement was, "For its price, the Denon AVR-4802 is simply an outstanding receiver. I was consistently delighted with its sound quality and its relative closeness in performance to that of a high-end separates system."

And on the Audioholics board, it was praised as having an excellent amp system, with a very smooth sound.

So all in all, the consensus is that it is a great performer in the sub-$2000 price class.

Tom B.

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
Not acting like a pushy salesmen, but ... if the HK8K needs external amplification why bother? I'd happily pit some lower-priced integrated solutions with an external pro audio amplifier solution. Heck, you could even treat some $1K AVRs as a pre-pro and amp externally.

·
Registered
302 Posts
FYI. Onecall recently had a special on the HK 8000 for $1227 shipped via www.gotapex.com. This does change the game based on the $1600or so cited above.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by clintroberts
FYI. Onecall recently had a special on the HK 8000 for $1227 shipped via www.gotapex.com. This does change the game based on the $1600or so cited above.
For around $500, you could still add an/some external amp/s. Just some food for thought if you want more power, and Logic 7. I'm personally leaning towards the HK 8000 if I don't upgrade to seperates *this time*.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just going over some of the options laid out and looking at some possible low prices, I've ended up with this:

Denon 4802 125 watts x7 - $1700

H-K 8000 100 watts x 5 - $1250 & H-K PA2000 100 watts x2 (know nothing about it, just keeping it all in the family) $250 = $1500

Sony DA7ES 120 watts x 7 - $1300

The first two seem to get good reviews by a number of people. Can't really find anyone who has the 7ES or reviewed it, other then just looking at the specs and wanting to drive over the remote.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
The HK 8000 option would be tempting as it has full Logic 7 decoding, from both 2.0 and 5.1 sources.

Has anyone verified that the 8000 is still available for $1227? When I checked OneCall it was $1439, still an excellent price.

Tom B.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.