Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello forum members!! :D

I just got my 65: Mitsubuishi model xxx819 today!! WOO HOO!!

Heres the question, Is there a list of all 1:76 and 1:85 ratio DVD's?

It won't stop me from buying if a DVD if its 2.35:1, but I sure would rather skip the bars as much as possible!

Thanks,

Morgan.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Buy Leonard Maltin's Movie Guide. It lists if a film is widescreen 2.35:1 or not.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any online resources?

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Originally posted by BigMHoff:

"It won't stop me from buying if a DVD if its 2.35:1..."

Then be prepared to outlay a lot of cash 'cus there is a **** load of scope ratio-ed films very worthy of your consideration and important to be had... :D

-THTS

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
And the IMDB is frequently incorrect. :(

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
On your 16:9 television, the only thing that will fill your whole screen without any black bars are 1.78:1 DVDs. If you watch any action or sci-fi DVDs, be prepared for a lot of 2.35:1 movies. Also, if you plan on watching any regular television programming in the standard 1.33:1 (4:3) ratio you will have bars on the side of the image.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Quote:
the only thing that will fill your whole screen without any black bars are 1.78:1 DVDs.
I've got a Mits 55807 and even though I've tweaked the overscan down to about 3% I can only just barely see the black bars on a 2.0:1 movie (such as "Austin Powers"), and I doubt that most people would even see them. I hate overscan :mad:

Having said that, I love 2.35:1 movies! The black bars are negligible.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Quote:
I've got a Mits 55807 and even though I've tweaked the overscan down to about 3% I can only just barely see the black bars on a 2.0:1 movie (such as "Austin Powers"), and I doubt that most people would even see them. I hate overscan
I hate overscan as well. I have set my CRT front projection to 0% overscan and since I use a 1.78:1 screen that has variable top and bottom masking, I can properly frame each movie without the letterbox bars showing.

FWIW, the Austin Powers DVD has an aspect ratio of 1.90:1. The original theatrical release was 2.39:1.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.