AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can get some 24" diameter cardboard/fiber drums/barrels for free and didn't think about using it for my sono build until now.

Would it serve the purpose like a sonotube or is it an entirely different and weaker material?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Hi there Mik James, I had thought about using one of those fiber drums a while back. When I was having a terrible time searching for and pricing out Sonotube, I kept noticing one of those barrels in a local recreation center being used as a donation barrel. I think that as long as the material is thick enough to support itself with the metal rings cut off the ends and replaced with wooden caps, it would work just fine. If you had any doubts, you could just add additional circular rings inside as braces. Good luck and let us know the results!

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Glad to see there's some interest in the idea

My plan is to brace at least the center, top and bottom of the tube with wooden strips on the inside and outside.

My issue with Sonotube is that the edge thickness (and conversely price) has to increase alot as the diameter goes up in order to hold concrete without breaking.

For example I believe an 18" tube is around double the volume of a 12" if not more, therefore the edge thickness would likely have to double.

That's all well and good for concrete but my 12" woofer doesn't need a tube with 1/2" walls.

I'll be posting pics and results throughout the build in this thread: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1466726/sonotube-with-12-driver-new-to-diy

1 - 4 of 4 Posts