AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like to show people Fifth Element Superbit on my front projector, but it's cinescope & I'd like to get something 1.85:1 with a really good transfer that isn't a cartoon/computer generated (e.g. Shrek).

My projector is LCD, so bright colors show better than dark scenes (5th elem. much better than The Matrix). I find that closeups of faces (subtle gradients) look better than pastoral landscapes (too much information).

How's the Spiderman transfer @ 100", 1.5-2 screen widths away?

·
Registered
8,441 Posts
Here are a few 1.85 films that have a better PQ than SM.

Men In Black 2

Scooby-Doo

Vertical Limit (SB)

Courage Under Fire (DTS)

Hollow Man (SB)

The Red Violin (DTS)

Thirteen Ghost

Batman: The Movie (Fox)

·
Registered
28,455 Posts
Spider-Man has enough CG to practically quality as an animated movie. I don't know why you've chosen a bias against animated films, but my recommendation would be Monsters Inc.

Live action? Hmmmm... Auto Focus has a very sharp and vibrantly colorful picture, but there's too much edge enhancement. If you can get past that, it looks fairly good on a large screen.

The King of Comedy has a very nice transfer thankfully free of distracting edge enhancement. Some parts of the movie, like the opening scene, were shot on video and are supposed to look like garbage. That might throw off your guests if you are going for the immediate "WOW" factor.

Vanilla Sky, that's another nice 1.85:1 disc.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Toy Story is good, and so is Ice Age, Shrek and Monster's, Inc.

Something about digital animation just makes a HT really look beautiful :)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have Shrek, Monsters Inc & Bugs Life & yeah, they do look good, but they're too easy- I'm looking for excellent transfers of moderately challenging material. Strong contrast like Stop Making Sense is too hard for LCD.

Also, a lot of CG is 16:9 instead of 1.85:1 & my screen (home-made) is 1.85:1. 16:9 discs are cut off a bit on top & bottom.

I know Spider-man has a lot of CG, but it at least tries to "look" natural.

Thanks for The Red Violin- I've watched this on the projector & it did look fabulous, but it was such a great movie I forgot about the technical merits.

Vanilla Sky- wonderful! Possibly influenced by Philip K. Dick's Ubik (well Abre los ojos allegedly was).

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
morganw:

I would really recommend Toy Story 2 for the big visual "wow". But if you don't want cartoony, then i would second Vertical Limit for a LCD projector, because it has these bright white snowy peaks and surfaces, the contrasting blue sky, the colorful outfits of the people running around on the screen, and there aren't a whole lot of dark scenes in this movie IIRC.

Hollow Man struck me as pretty punchy as well, although it has more dark scenes than Vertical Limit. Still a bright and colorful picture on that one though.

Can't think of other titles off the top of my head that are 1.85 and would do a LCD projector justice.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Jurassic Park III - DTS sound to boot.

Gus

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
STARSHIP TROOPERS is one of the nicest transfers in my collection.....and it happens to be 1.85:1. I show it all the time on my 108" Dalite hipower/NEC lt150z setup. Awesome demo material. Another one is VERTICAL LIMIT SB as someone else had mentioned.

Herm

·
Registered
230 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Gus
Jurassic Park III - DTS sound to boot.

Gus
Agreed, 100%

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Not exactly a classic film, but Ghost Ship looks amazing.

·
Registered
28,455 Posts
Now that I'm home and can actually look over my DVD collection, here are some more suggestions:

Before Night Falls

Don't Look Now

Fast, Cheap & Out of Control (imperfect transfer, but it has some terrific imagery)

Ghost World

Jackie Brown

The Sheltering Sky

Alright, a lot of artsy movies there, but they are all nice 1.85:1 pictures.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Below

·
Registered
278 Posts
Below is nice, but he's looking for bright, colorful pictures. Below hardly qualifies.

·
Registered
931 Posts
eh i guess it helps to read the whole post

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Avoid dark movies or a lot of space scene as LCD's weakness is contrast and absolute blacks while its strengths are color, clarity, and lack of rainbows. Thus Vertical Limit SuperBit would look great due to the bright snow scenes (unless your PJ is too bright then it may hotspot if you have a very shiny or bright screen), bright colors in their jackets, etc.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Wow! Thanks for all the suggestions!

Vertical Limit would look good and my screen is ~1.0 gain so it shouldn't hotspot, but I haven't treated the room-- still has off-white walls-- and bright scenes make that a little too obvious. I also don't have light control and only watch at night- this is a living room with a projector, not a real home theater.

I've rented a bunch of the non-Superbit suggestions from Netflix.

By the way Tommy is 1.85 and in Superbit, but I haven't seen any reviews. I'll have to hunt around some more.

I'm selling my house & the buyer is interested in the projector, but it's a PT-LC75U that I bought for ~$2500 that goes for $1800 now. It's worth more to me than the fair market value and I've priced it pretty high even though it has just over 100 hours. When the guy comes back with a counter-offer, I'm going to invite him over to see it run. I'll suggest he bring a disc of his choice too to make it fair.

The Chief mount is screwed on to a pipe which has a closet flange screwed into a piece of wood. The wood has four lag screws into two joists, so if I take out the screws & patch & paint the holes, it'll look like it was never there. I think the buyer expects it'll be a lot harder to restore the ceiling.

I do plan to do light control in the new house. Don't think I'll get a black ceiling (WAF), but I might be able to do something with curtains to darken the walls on demand.

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Funny you should mention it- I just got Tommy SB about a week ago. It looks extremely good; I've not seen the original version but this is probably quite an improvement. The DTS track made me think my system was set-up wrong though. The center and rear channels seemed way to loud, overpowering the stereo music tracks. My memory of the film, such as it is, though, is that it always had a goofy mix with the vocals much too loud. It's a shame they couldn't redo it. BTW, if you're a Ken Russel fan the new(ish) anamorphic version of Crimes of Passion on Anchor Bay, while not reference quality, is a really solid transfer.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.