AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so assuming I go with a native 16:9 projector (I think I am down to the TW100 or the HS10) and that I am going with a tensioned electric screen, should I get the 16:9 AR or the 1.85:1 since the price difference is not much? Under these assumptions, when I display 1.85 material, I will have very small bars on the top and bottom, this I understand, so if I go with a 1.85:1, I will have to zoom the projector so that the image fits on the screen, right? Then, I will have to re-adjust the zoom to make the 1.77 image fit, correct? If I have to zoom to make the 1.77 image fit though, won't I lose portions of the image across the top and bottom, thus, spilling light onto my mask?

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
I don't know about other pj's, but my LP350 projects all 1.85 movies in 16:9.
Are you certain you do not have a zoom mode turned on? You cannot technically project a 1.85:1 AR the same as a 1.77:1 AR with the exact same image. You can project a 1:85:1 AR [bold]within[/bold] a 1.77:1 image, but you will have bars on the top and the bottom.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Well, actually, some projectors will overscan so much that 1.85:1 material fills the 16:9 area of the projector. Of course this means you're also losing some image off the left and right sides. Perhaps the LP350 does this.

My Panny AE100 actually does this on the component input, but curiously NOT on the VGA inputs. That is why you can only get pixel-perfect (and thereby better quality) with the ae100 via the VGA input.

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
you could also use zoomplayer and control all this perfectly.

brickie

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.